5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL - Does your Ram have AC / Heater issues?

Does your Ram have AC / Heater issues?

• Yes - 1500, 5" Uconnect

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes - 1500, 8.4" Uconnect

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Yes - 1500, 12" Uconnect

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Yes - 1500 Classic, 5" Uconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 1500 Classic, 8.4" Uconnect

• Yes - 4.5 HD Ram, 5" Uconnect

• Yes - 4.5 HD Ram, 8.4" Uconnect

• Yes - 4.5 HD Ram, 8.4" Uconnect

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No - 1500, 5" Uconnect

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • No - 1500, 8.4" Uconnect

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • No - 1500, 12" Uconnect

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • No - 1500 Classic, 5" Uconnect

• No - 1500 Classic, 8.4" Uconnect

• No - 4.5 HD Ram, 5" Uconnect

• No - 4.5 HD Ram, 8.4" Uconnect

• No - 4.5 HD Ram, 12" Uconnect

• Total voters

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if there is a link between the Uconnect radio type and the HVAC issues that seem to be plaguing the 5th gen rams. Recently, members have mentioned their HVAC issues have been fixed, after software updates.

2wd

Reaction score
Yes, 8.4 Uconnect, 1500 2019 New Model.

Temps about 8-10 degrees warmer out of driver side

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
70% have no issue so far...no wonder FCA isn't admitting a problem..hmmm, 30% is still a LOT of vehicles though.

RainDesert

Reaction score
My 2019 HD Hemi Tradesman and my 2020 1500 tradesman both don't blow very cold. And there is random blendor issues not shutting off foot air flow. Just today driving on the hwy, with the vent in the coldest position right before you kick on AC my vents were blowing warm air when the outside temp was 67. I fought this last summer in my 2500 and I was pretty sure too much engine heat was getting into the cab via the vents. I read somewhere there is a selonoid in the the heater core area that could have been part of the problem. In all previous Ford trucks and my 2018 cummins these issues didn't exist.
Both trucks have no problem blowing extremely hot air. I think it was almost too hot compared to past trucks. Blendor issues exist in both hot and cold demands.
These AC issues on 2 straight Rams is almost enough to make me switch back after 3 rams in a row.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure this out. Bought my truck in Aug 2019. I live in PA and only have 2400 miles so far. I need to "stress test" AC when the weather warms up. I'm gonna see how it feels to me first, then use a thermometer and compare to other vehicles. There has been SO much discussion on this topic that I'm kinda paranoid at this point. Need to collect some objective data for myself.

ldoh

Reaction score
There's no substitute for good old fashion data. Having said that, I noticed mine pretty quickly. It was parked outdoor on a 82 degree cloudy June day in Idaho and the a/c couldn't drop temp down with any authority. The placebo of air conditioner fan and vent noise was no help.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's still too early for me to know. I just bought my truck last Halloween, and it doesn't start getting hot around here until July. But I didn't have any issues with the heater/defroster over the winter. I'll respond to this poll then if it's still going on.

Firebird

Reaction score
8.4 U connect, AC was slightly weak. Took to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and they replaced the expansion valve, definitely working better now.

Nibis

Reaction score
I just bought mine on 4/11/2020, so I'm looking forward to it warming up so I can test it out.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
Great data posted in the poll. It looks like there is no connection between the HVAC issues and the Uconnects. The poll data seems to be very random, with roughly 40% having issues and 60% no issues. It's always been speculated that the blend doors are part of the problem. I now wonder if something is happening during the assembly process.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Sounds like what happened to my 2019 Ram 1500. My truck would blow about 10 degrees warmer on the driver side. There is a blend door issue inside the dash. I cannot take credit for this but someone mention to pinch off the heater hose under the hood. This would cut off heat to the heater core. I did that and wow! I went from 52 degrees on average out of the driver vent to 41 on average. When cruising the coldest before the pinch hose was 48 out the driver vent and that was after driving an hour with no stopping. I saw 38 out of the driver vent after the same trip once the hose was pinched. Only down side is there will not be any heat inside. But I work in the full sun and need the super cold ac to cool off before my next job.
Oh, and good luck getting the dealer to fix the issue. They literally could care less. Ram dealers are the worst after making a sale.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
I struggled with warm ac for over a year. Not really knowing why. I thought the factory may have not put in enough refrigerant but clearly that wasn't the case. Another problem was the defrost. The defrost never would shut off. It was always on. So, I had to cover the dash with vinyl to block the defrost vents, otherwise my windshield would fog up. 20190912_073242.jpg

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Yesterday was the best work day in a while. I got rid of a nightmare and probably the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Can someone hit me over the head and maybe I can forget the last year of my life. And it's a sad story too because I am the biggest mopar nut to walk the earth. I even replaced my "lemon all new Ram" with a classic. Just picked up the truck on Tuesday. 20200729_111046.jpg

JDBob35a

Reaction score
'19 1500 with 12" Uconnect. Worst HVAC system I've had in a vehicle to date. Did the AC Hack and it makes night and day difference but what a crock to have to rig up the HVAC on a new truck so it will perform almost as good as my old truck.

Users who are viewing this thread