5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polishing tool questions

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a halfway decent polisher ?
Are the ones at harbor freight any good? I’m definitely a novice and time is always not enough I swear I need 8 days in a week
Anyways I have a 20 ram with the diamond black paint so starting to see some scuffs and light scratches here and there in the dirt a lot
What’s perfect is my wife’s Nissan is also black and 10 yrs old so I have a nice car to practice on before my truck
I see you can get a kit for under 80 on Amazon with a bunch of pads and chemical guys has one for 200
Anybody have any experience using some of the cheaper ones at harbor freight or Amazon ? Everything is so damn expensive these days so if can save a few bucks buying a cheaper one that I’ll probably use 10 times if I’m lucky but if they don’t have the power it’s more of a waste of cash
I’ve done all the hand waxing tricks so machine polish is my next route any advice or review greatly appreciated
Happy 4th to everyone 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

GMetal

Reaction score
Ive never had luck with electric items from HF other than their machinery. I have both rotary and DA polishing tools from DeWalt and Porter Cable. The DA buffers are great. They take longer to buff out big scratches but are less likely to burn the clear. Using the softest pad is great for applying waxes to large areas.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do fine with a harbor freight variable speed polisher for tractor paint, but haven’t tried it with a vehicle yet. My next cheapest polisher is a Flex brand, and that was $800 when it first came out.

jkm312

Reaction score
Take a look at Autogeek.com They have a full line of polishers from entry level to pro. I've found their sales staff to be knowledgable about the products they represent.
I bought a Porter Cable random orbit polisher long ago, it's till going strong, over 10 years old. Use it on 3 vehicles and a motorcycle multiple times a year.
Trick is to pay attention the the pads you use and how much and fast they cut. Some more than others.
If some one in your family has an old but faithful beater, that would be thrilled with some wax, practice on that one to get the hang of it. (That's what I did)

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
Lol that’s my plan the wife’s car is a black Nissan that’s ten yrs old
It’s perfect to practice on I just can’t tell her it’s practice gotta let it look like I know what I’m doing ,it’s actually got all kinds of paint issues from minor scratches swirls dull paint so it’s gonna be the perfect learning car I have a bunch of gift cards from Lowe’s from Father’s Day so I’m just gonna grab something like a porta cable or dewalt have had good luck around the house with both over the yrs thanks for the advise

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My father does good work with this one from Harbor Freight
His is old so it says Chicago Electric, but i checked the manual and specs and it's the same EXACT unit just a differnet brand name on it.

I used it once and I didn't go hard enough to work out some 9 year old paint problems, so I don't think you could damage your truck unless you really went crazy.

Protip: mark a few points on the orbits so you can watch it as you go and if it stops spinning you know to release pressure.

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip I miss my 16
Ram 2500 nice white paint it was the only vehicle between me and the wife that wasn’t black out of about 8 cats and trucks
White gotta be the easiest color never had to dodge a puddle after washing it always looked clean

Brunzca

Reaction score
I did a bunch of research on orbital polishers, and decided on the Griot G9. I never used a machine buffer before buying this, and have now done at least 6 total polishes/corrections between my previous and current truck, and wife/kids cars. It’s forgiving, And easy to use. A lot of pro retailers recommended it, as well. Worth spending a little more for the right product, IMO

GMetal

Reaction score
using the right pads and compounds is far more important than the machine. Meguirs has a great line of polishes for DA buffers as well as fast cut pads and discs.

Brunzca

Reaction score
using the right pads and compounds is far more important than the machine. Meguirs has a great line of polishes for DA buffers as well as fast cut pads and discs.
Agree, at least for quality. I used rupes pads, and koch-chemie fine cut polish on my new truck and they are my favorites so far.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Griots G15 with the washer mod and a Porter Cable 7424XP. The griots G15 without a doubt does a better job but I'd expect that with it being double the price of the PC.
The right pad is critical, I use buff n shine Uro-Tek and Rupes white and yellow and lake country HDO, all 1" thick pads. The right compound is important too

1689554962117.png

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
I have a Griots G15 with the washer mod and a Porter Cable 7424XP. The griots G15 without a doubt does a better job but I'd expect that with it being double the price of the PC.
The right pad is critical, I use buff n shine Uro-Tek and Rupes white and yellow and lake country HDO, all 1" thick pads. The right compound is important too

View attachment 163111

Damn that’s a shine

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/