5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plugging an Air Fryer into the 115 V outlet?

ExFordGuy

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with using one of the 115 V plugs for an air fryer? I'm going camping in my new Ram and thought this might be a good idea for a meal if I'm out in the woods.

Or what about a small microwave?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe this is a 400W outlet at 115V, meaning you wont be able to power more than 3.5 amp device.

In other words, no.

Its not good for much more than charging devices, but not really powering any devices via constant draw.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Won't work. Too much draw.

That being said.... rather than trail the cord across the armrest and console for the 12V outlet, I plug my travel refrigerator into the 115 outlet. There's plenty of juice for that. The downside is that it shuts off when the ignition is off.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to run an air fryer, you’ll need a fairly big power station setup. I don’t want to sound like an advertisement, but there are several good sales on them today and tomorrow for Prime Day.

You’ll likely need something that does at least 1500W. Bluetti AC180/AC200P/AC200Max and EcoFlow Delta are all on sale now and meet those power requirements. Also look at Jackery and Anker.

You could also get a 2000W inverter and hook it up directly to the truck’s battery, but I wouldn’t recommend it, as you’d need to keep the engine running or you’d fry your battery. A gasoline or diesel air fryer doesn’t sound very efficient.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, even making coffee with electricity can be a hassle out in the field. Anything that has an heating element draws crazy amounts of amps.

I got an office with 2 big flat screen TVs and 4 monitors and 2 PCs always running, but using the iron on my clothes will blow them away in power draw.

As mentioned, you should invest in a good battery power station rated for that kind of draw or use propane and forget the air fryer, but man I love my air fryer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even most of the smaller air friers pull 1800 wats over 120. Don't think it would be a good idea to run that off of the truck. A smaller microwave can be 900 watts, still too much for the built in inverter (400 watts maximum) but you could Probbly hook one up to the battery and do it.

I don't have the sheet but etorque claims to deliver much more power to the battery at idle (engine on).

Also those battery power stations are not likely to be able to handle an 1800 watt load for long enough to cook. At a bare minimum you need 5 minutes but more likely 10-15 to cook and raw food worth an air frier and even if those devices could support that no way you would get 15 minute runtime.

You could get a 20 amp battery backup, but you're going to be thrown back $2-3k with around 15 minutes of runtime until it's dead at that load. Maybe look at getting a portable generator?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always wanted the eTorque to be more like the Ford PowerBoost. 7.2KW output even without the engine on, but be mated to a v8! That's my dream for the Hemi; however slim, I'm holding on to it until fully dashed by Stellantis.

The eTorque battery is 1/3rd the size of the PowerBoost, but I'd be happy with 1/3rd the output (enough for 20A devices & on par with the base PowerBoost option), as long as it functioned in a similar manner. Kinda thought the overlanders would've made something like this work for eTorque by now.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even most of the smaller air friers pull 1800 wats over 120. Don't think it would be a good idea to run that off of the truck. A smaller microwave can be 900 watts, still too much for the built in inverter (400 watts maximum) but you could Probbly hook one up to the battery and do it.

I don't have the sheet but etorque claims to deliver much more power to the battery at idle (engine on).

Also those battery power stations are not likely to be able to handle an 1800 watt load for long enough to cook. At a bare minimum you need 5 minutes but more likely 10-15 to cook and raw food worth an air frier and even if those devices could support that no way you would get 15 minute runtime.

You could get a 20 amp battery backup, but you're going to be thrown back $2-3k with around 15 minutes of runtime until it's dead at that load. Maybe look at getting a portable generator?
The Bluetti AC200MAX is a 2048Wh battery. Reviewers note you can get about 80% of that after accounting for inverter losses and depth of discharge. That gives you about 54 minutes at 1800 watts. Maximum power on the AC200 is 2200W, and yes, that is a sustained load.

The smaller AC180 would give you 30 minutes at 1,800 watts. 1,800W is its sustained output.

But just like your oven at home, an air fryer isn’t going to run at full tilt all the time. Once preheated, it’ll cycle on an off.

So you absolutely could run an air fryer off one of those portable power stations. Whether it’s worth doing is another matter.

Incidentally, I ran an 1,800W induction burner off an original EcoFlow Delta (1800W, 1024Wh). Bringing water to a boil and cooking pasta drained 30% of the battery, but it can be done.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you not allowed to build a campfire?
It is very strict here in CA, every site has different regulations on camp fires. Very touchy subject for sure and it really sucks that a few idiots ruin it for everyone.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Bluetti AC200MAX is a 2048Wh battery. Reviewers note you can get about 80% of that after accounting for inverter losses and depth of discharge. That gives you about 54 minutes at 1800 watts. Maximum power on the AC200 is 2200W, and yes, that is a sustained load.

The smaller AC180 would give you 30 minutes at 1,800 watts. 1,800W is its sustained output.

But just like your oven at home, an air fryer isn’t going to run at full tilt all the time. Once preheated, it’ll cycle on an off.

So you absolutely could run an air fryer off one of those portable power stations. Whether it’s worth doing is another matter.

Incidentally, I ran an 1,800W induction burner off an original EcoFlow Delta (1800W, 1024Wh). Bringing water to a boil and cooking pasta drained 30% of the battery, but it can be done.
That AC200MAX appears to be a pretty powerful and expensive unit ($2k)
At a quick glance they seem to have melting and overheating problems, not sure if it's all of the units or not.
1689209091453.png 1689209172872.png 1689209188142.png
Air fryers due to the airflow generally exhaust tons of air and don't cycle off nearly as much as say a closed oven does,.
Most of the draw is around 1850 watts even on the smaller ones (I have owned 7 differnet air fryers as I love them) but it seems like some of these devices can possibly handle it, but personally for $2000 I would look into getting a used camper for a bit more.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That AC200MAX appears to be a pretty powerful and expensive unit ($2k)
At a quick glance they seem to have melting and overheating problems, not sure if it's all of the units or not.
View attachment 162789 View attachment 162790 View attachment 162791
Air fryers due to the airflow generally exhaust tons of air and don't cycle off nearly as much as say a closed oven does,.
Most of the draw is around 1850 watts even on the smaller ones (I have owned 7 differnet air fryers as I love them) but it seems like some of these devices can possibly handle it, but personally for $2000 I would look into getting a used camper for a bit more.
On sale $1,300 today!

I’ve never had a 200Max, and I don’t want to sound as if I’m pushing one. Just pointing out that there are some big Prime Day sales on them (and Jackery, EcoFlow, and others), so if anyone was interested in them, today is a good day to get one.

Caveat emptor, of course.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
On sale $1,300 today!

I’ve never had a 200Max, and I don’t want to sound as if I’m pushing one. Just pointing out that there are some big Prime Day sales on them (and Jackery, EcoFlow, and others), so if anyone was interested in them, today is a good day to get one.

Caveat emptor, of course.
And gota love free 30 day returns!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a small Solostove to boil water for coffee and dehydrated meals. Works with wood or alcohol. Packs pretty light for backpacking or truck camping.

For Thanksgiving we pull out the propane air fryer. Might be able to do other stuff in it too.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run EcoFlow Delta 2 inside. The day I got it we did some tests. Right out of box, at 30%, we were able to microwave a big bowl of rice to make some riceballs. That's about 3 minutes of run time and brought it down to 28%. Then, we ran hair dryer for 5 minutes to mimic how long it takes for a girl to dry her hair (we chose 5 minutes because that what we, a bunch of single guys, THINK how long it takes). That brought down anther 1%. Then we ran diesel heater for 4 hours to see how much diesel and power it would take. That brought it down to around 23%.

Sure, the test didn't run air fryer and probably drew nowhere near the consumption of air fryer, but it is still pretty capable. And on top of that, you can also do add-on batteries to give yourself more power. Now I have Delta 2 + Delta Max add-on battery, giving me total 3kw of power. It is enough for me to run my fridge and starlink the whole night with plenty left the next day. I could also probably run my EcoFlow Wave on it and all 3 at the same time, but that needs to be tested.

If OP is looking for air fryer option because of fire ban, just bring a propane stove. Most restricted places in PRCali still allow fire that can be shut off with a valve/ switch even during fire ban.

Users who are viewing this thread