5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing Recorded Music From A USB Flash Stick

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone tried to play pre-recorded music from a USB flash stick? Mine doesn't work and it used to in my Silverado. I'm wondering if there might be some difference in acceptable music formats. Mine are recorded in Apple Music then transfered to stick. Any advice?

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Search USB. There are a couple of threads on this and yes, multiple people have had problems with this, including myself.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep... several threads. I've had no issues playing from the thumb drive.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone tried to play pre-recorded music from a USB flash stick? Mine doesn't work and it used to in my Silverado. I'm wondering if there might be some difference in acceptable music formats. Mine are recorded in Apple Music then transfered to stick. Any advice?
Your files are most likely in MPEG4 format and need to be converted to mp3 or WAV files before you transfer to usb drive. I put 25 tracks in Mp3 format on usb 3 days ago and my Ram played them right away. Here's a link to explain.. https://www.android-iphone-recovery.com/record-apple-music-streams-as-mp3.html

Tom Gross

Reaction score
I ripped music using Windows Media Player to a Flash Drive in MP3 format, doesn't work? Any advice?

Turin

Reaction score
I ripped music using Windows Media Player to a Flash Drive in MP3 format, doesn't work? Any advice?
The most likely problem is that the flash drive is formatted in a way the UConnect system doesn't understand. (Maybe exFAT if it's a brand new drive.) Try reformatting as FAT32. NTFS should work as well. Another possibility is that you didn't rip to a supported file format. Are you sure you ripped to MP3 and not WMA? If so, what bitrate? Variable bitrate (VBR) or constant? You could have issues due to your folder structure as well.

Unfortunately there's no good documentation about what these systems support and there seem to be differences between the 8.4, 8.4NAV, and 12. We're figuring all of this out via trial and error. :(

Tom Gross

Reaction score
:mad:
The most likely problem is that the flash drive is formatted in a way the UConnect system doesn't understand. (Maybe exFAT if it's a brand new drive.) Try reformatting as FAT32. NTFS should work as well. Another possibility is that you didn't rip to a supported file format. Are you sure you ripped to MP3 and not WMA? If so, what bitrate? Variable bitrate (VBR) or constant? You could have issues due to your folder structure as well.

Unfortunately there's no good documentation about what these systems support and there seem to be differences between the 8.4, 8.4NAV, and 12. We're figuring all of this out via trial and error. :(
I ripped to MP3 but I'll double check. Also, I'll format the flash drive to FAT32 and start over. What a pain:mad:

kevinssaco

Reaction score
:mad:
I ripped to MP3 but I'll double check. Also, I'll format the flash drive to FAT32 and start over. What a pain:mad:
I gave up trying and just use Apple Car Play for long trips. I went through the same thing with a USB that worked fine in my Silverado and Rav 4. I tried formating in different modes several ways and the drive would never be recognized by UConnect. Its flakey software in my opinion if it works for one person but not another. Good luck!

Bubba77

Reaction score
I have over 14,000 songs on a micro usb formatted fat32 and no problems at all. I believe there seems to be a cap at about 20,000 songs. As initially I connected a external hard drive and it would only read 20,000 of the songs. Even the external hard drive never had an issue other than not reading past 20,000. Hope that info helps

Tomek77

Reaction score
I just bought 2022 ram 1500 limited and tried to play MP3s and WAV files from USB. It plays mp3s but not wav tracks. Not sure why.

JimC

Reaction score
Have over 780 Country Music on my Thumb Drive and it plays daily without problems. I'm sure this is old data but....

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online