5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plate lights out

uscgmac

Reaction score
Just noticed tonight that both my plate lights in the rear are out on my 2021 ram 1500 bighorn. I find it odd that both would be out so I'm assuming it's probably not just the bulbs. Wondering if it would be something simple. Tomorrow I'll check to make sure nothing is loose underneath. The bulbs look like LEDs. Bought the truck used so wondering if the bulbs are stock or aftermarket? Wondering if this is covered under warranty if it's something not obvious to me. I've had the truck for three weeks. I read there is not a separate fuse for the plate lights. Any ideas, or is this a common issue? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just noticed tonight that both my plate lights in the rear are out on my 2021 ram 1500 bighorn. I find it odd that both would be out so I'm assuming it's probably not just the bulbs. Wondering if it would be something simple. Tomorrow I'll check to make sure nothing is loose underneath. The bulbs look like LEDs. Bought the truck used so wondering if the bulbs are stock or aftermarket? Wondering if this is covered under warranty if it's something not obvious to me. I've had the truck for three weeks. I read there is not a separate fuse for the plate lights. Any ideas, or is this a common issue? Thanks.

Been on the forum 4 years and don't recall any issues.

HRCfan1

Reaction score
If you bought it used there maybe aftermarket bulbs in them. Some aftermarket bulbs aren’t compatible with certain electrical systems. I would buy some oem plate bulbs and replace them and see if that fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, if you are assuming it is something simple, start with the bulb. I would start with an electrical tester in the bulb socket it you have one.

uscgmac

Reaction score
If you bought it used there maybe aftermarket bulbs in them. Some aftermarket bulbs aren’t compatible with certain electrical systems. I would buy some oem plate bulbs and replace them and see if that fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No aftermarket bulbs. Brought it to the Jeep/Ram dealer yesterday. Apparently it was Brought in for a warranty issue for the rear camera from the previous owner. They diagnosed that there is no power going to the lights or hitch connector. They said I could leave it but would be several days or bring it back to dealer who did original work. I went back to where I bought it and made an appointment for a loaner car do I could leave it. I went tobthe dealer closest to me but they don't have loaners and not the best dealership to deal with. The place I bought it from is not a Ram dealership but has a close relationship with another one and they will take care of it all under warranty. Must be a wiring harness or electrical issue somewhere along the line.

uscgmac

Reaction score
Yea, if you are assuming it is something simple, start with the bulb. I would start with an electrical tester in the bulb socket it you have one.
Yes, did that. No power to the connections. Went to one dealer and confirmed that. It's going back to another dealer to fix it and I'll get a loaner while they chase down the electrical issue. First dealer had no loarners and were backed up. I did find out the truck has been in for warranty work for the rear camera. I'm the second owner. Truck is one year old.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BCM, Connector 5 pin 18, WHT/DK BLU should be the "license plate driver" output.
Bad BCM output or short or open in the harness?

uscgmac

Reaction score
BCM, Connector 5 pin 18, WHT/DK BLU should be the "license plate driver" output.
Bad BCM output or short or open in the harness?
Thanks. It's at the dealer now so hopefully they chase down the issue. Hoping it's just a short in one of the wiring harnesses and they replace it. Only bad part is they gave me a crappy Jeep Cherokee as a loaner, lol.

uscgmac

Reaction score
Did you check the fuse?
I did check the fuse box and the plate light doesn't have a specific fuse but all the fuses for the trailer hitch look good. I figure why bother chasing any further myself. It's under warranty and at the dealer now. Has to be a short of some kind causing it so let them chase it and it. Whatever it is will be covered.

Anon2442

Reaction score
Any update? I have a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn with the same issue, identical symptoms

Users who are viewing this thread