5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastidip Experiment

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of 18” takeoff rims to change out my 20” rims and oem tires for 35’s. My intent was to color match the new rims but rather than paint, I chose to try a matte anthracite plastidip wheel kit from dipyourcar.com

Prep work is everything when painting so I cleaned the wheels with dish soap and acetone to remove dirt and grime. Then I painted the inside of the wheel with black spray paint for a finished look.

It took almost a day to process the wheels with staged masking between paint and plastidip but following the videos on DYC’s website really paid off.

I think the color match is dang near perfect with the granite gray. I love the look and am really happy with the results, especially considering the low cost of materials.

Attachments

• DCB32070-0D59-4099-95D9-00F68D439D7F.jpeg
    DCB32070-0D59-4099-95D9-00F68D439D7F.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 4A5B8BDF-4F96-40F3-9664-69FA0BF10786.jpeg
    4A5B8BDF-4F96-40F3-9664-69FA0BF10786.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 119

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plasti dip is great if you want to try something out to see how it looks, but it's not meant to take road abuse. Rocks will chip it no problem, and, assuming you see any type of salt, the finish will wear off to a dull gray. Once the dip is chipped you can't just re-spray that area to cover it as you'll be able to easily see where it was chipped off.

If you can find a local powder coat shop you could possibly get a good price on that. There's a shop here that will sand blast and coat pretty much anything up to an 18x9 rim for $25-50 a piece.

JP_Night18

Reaction score
How many layers did you apply ? I've read its recommended to do over 8 layers for wheels.. thats because of the road abuse mentioned above.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I had 4 cans In the kit for probably 5 to 6 layers. I did a set of wheels on my 3rd gen 2500 a number of years ago with little prep and they lasted for years without much maintenance. I ended up swapping those wheels out before it failed. I still have one wheel from that truck behind the garage and it’s been face down in the dirt for years and it is not peeling.

I’ll post on the longevity of this latest application.

My truck runs in a mild climate without mud and rocks being flung about. I’m expecting this to last a while based upon previous experiences.
I’ve also used this on trim on my wife’s Jeep and it’s going on 3 years without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread