5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic Trim Scratch

Ride2little

Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks to repair/hide surface scratches on the plastic wheel arch of my ‘19 Rebel? I got some tree limb scrapes and buffed out the paintwork. But I’m not sure how to correct the plastic bits.
Thanks for any tips or tricks.

Ride2little

Reaction score
There’s no paint. Just raw, black plastic which has a texture.
I saw on-line some folks heating it up w a heat gun and others heated, sanded, re-textured while still hot.
I may try heat and see what it looks like

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s no paint. Just raw, black plastic which has a texture.
I saw on-line some folks heating it up w a heat gun and others heated, sanded, re-textured while still hot.
I may try heat and see what it looks like

Be careful, it might warp or the texture surrounding it could get worse. You might consider maybe getting spray on/rattle can Bedliner and spray all of them to protect them? The rattle can stuff has a texture but not like full on bedliner like Linex etc. Or plasti dip? Just throwing ideas out there. I’d be nervous about bringing heat to plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FastHemi

Reaction score
On my old 06 Ram I had some scratches on the glove box door and some on the door panels. I tried heat from a heat gun and it removed about 70% of the scratches. Be careful, you could warp or melt some pieces or even make shiny spots where it got to hot. I have also heard some people have used a hand held propane torch (Blue Bottle). I was afraid to try this method. Also, don't get the heat of flame to close the plastic until you get use to it. And yes, carpet will melt in a heart beat.

If you are going to do it as mentioned above, start with low heat first and watch what you are doing. Once you make a mistake, there is no going back.

Users who are viewing this thread