5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic tailgate?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking there is Magnesium in the tailgates. Or maybe that's just the Jeeps.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be darned! It sounded just like plastic when knocking on it.
Thanks, I feel a little better now. Just had to put my "Adopt, don't shop" magnet on the bumper. 🤣

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's kind of funny, but there were SUV's with completely plastic rear gates. When I was appraising for the ins co's a few years ago I first came across this. Think it was a Nissan Murano, might have been a Rogue...not only is the gate completely plastic, but it is pre-painted if you order one, and the inner trim panel is bonded to the shell, so you couldn't replace just the trim. These things would get tapped, and crack...requiring a whole new gate....for a while there was a shortage of colored ones, and the only one you could get was gray....crazy.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was thinking there is Magnesium in the tailgates. Or maybe that's just the Jeeps.
You could be right, but I thought they can't use magnesium on cars. The reason wheels were ever called mags, was the early ones were magnesium. They banned them, because magnesium fires are almost impossible to put out. Maybe now that they have lithium batteries that are impossible to put out, they said what the hell, and allow magnesium again.:LOL:

CatServant

Reaction score
The ding in my tailgate from my trailer jack says it’s not plastic. It’s not a part needed for structural integrity, so they use aluminum to save weight.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just realized my tailgate is plastic. No wonder it's so light. Is there a diminished weight limit compared to metal?
The reason it's so "light" is because there is a gas strut assist for the tailgate to help.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ding in my tailgate from my trailer jack says it’s not plastic. It’s not a part needed for structural integrity, so they use aluminum to save weight.
A lot of people put a lot of weight on gates. I'm one of them.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could be right, but I thought they can't use magnesium on cars. The reason wheels were ever called mags, was the early ones were magnesium. They banned them, because magnesium fires are almost impossible to put out. Maybe now that they have lithium batteries that are impossible to put out, they said what the hell, and allow magnesium again.:LOL:
Ya, they use Magnesium on a lot of cars/trucks...mostly for front radiator supports. Usually its a composite and magnesium combo.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I know the tailgate on my 11 ram had to weigh about 6k pounds. I had it slam open on me once while driving and I thought the bed fell off the truck lol. My 21 is much lighter

slatersan

Reaction score
There is a lot more structure to the MFT, than a normal one. There is extra frame around, and extra down the middle.

I'm well aware of the differences and why it's heavier, just stating for those reading that the MFT is most assuredly not light.

Users who are viewing this thread