5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

planning on going from 22 to 18 and switching to KO2

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You will definitely notice a difference in ride quality, although going down to an 18 will give you more tire which will help. Don’t underestimate those KO2’s in snow. I live in snow country and used them year round on my last 5th gen, as well as my previous truck. I commute 55 miles round trip daily, ski on the weekends…the KO2’s performed incredibly well in snow, and lots of it. Never once considered swapping out for a dedicated snow tire. Just my little addition there for ya. Good luck and enjoy!
You're right about the KO2's in the snow. We had them on a 2017 Rebel and they were fantastic for winter use. (y)

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it snow anywhere close to GA? Serious question. Never been 🤷🏻‍♂️
We get a little bit of snow in Georgia, particularly in the mountains (or hills, as Washingtonians would probably call them).

Occasionally, we’ll get a freak snow storm, like this one in 2017 that dropped about a foot in the northern ‘burbs of Atlanta. But that’s rare.

9FD5B922-3E5D-4A41-A5AC-8CF23B38ADC8.jpeg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
We get a little bit of snow in Georgia, particularly in the mountains (or hills, as Washingtonians would probably call them).

As a real Washingtonian (someone from the STATE OF WASHINGTON), I take a stance at your calling DC'ers Washingtonians :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Finally bought tires for the Rebel wheels I bought from another member of the forum. I'll post pics later today for anyone interested. I went with a Les Schwab tire that was developed for the Pacific Northwest winters (lots of wet snow and slush), and are 3PMSF rated.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a real Washingtonian (someone from the STATE OF WASHINGTON), I take a stance at your calling DC'ers Washingtonians :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I was referring to people from the state of Washington. Folks surrounded by the Cascades would look at the Appalachians and call them hills. Folks in DC would look at the Appalachians and call them Everest.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was referring to people from the state of Washington. Folks surrounded by the Cascades would look at the Appalachians and call them hills. Folks in DC would look at the Appalachians and call them Everest.
Sorry for my confusion. It was lost on me since I've never been to the Appalachians or DC :ROFLMAO:

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for my confusion. It was lost on me since I've never been to the Appalachians or DC :ROFLMAO:
Gotcha. The tallest mountain in the Appalachians (and east of the Mississippi) is Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina, at 6,684 feet. Tallest in Georgia is Brasstown Bald at 4,784 feet. Highest point in DC? Bring your Advil, you’re going to need it at…409 feet.

We can’t quite compare to Mt. Rainier (14,411 feet).

Bringing this a bit more on topic, my current Ram hasn’t been above 5,000 feet yet, but my last Ram has been above 14,000 in Colorado. Next summer, I plan on taking my truck back to the Rockies. It might be a while before we make it to the Cascades or Sierras.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
My 2011 Ram Sport 4x4 came with 20” wheels and part of the deal when ordered was dealer switching to 17” wheels with anything on lot and installing the Load E tires I was providing (Michelin) which they did at delivery.

In 179K miles on this truck I towed a 7000# enclosed car trailer 84k miles with tires inflated to 46#. The ride W or W/O the trailer was very good imho. I’m in upper Midwest and besides the bad roads (with huge pot holes) from winter sub zero weather I’ve been through as much as 10” snow and ice numerous times without any problems. That’s what 4WD is for. I’ve also towed across the Appellations (Fancy Gap) numerous times (and in the rain). At 75k miles on these tires there was 5-6/32 of tread left both replacement times.

My new 2022 Laramie will be delivered as ordered next week and it’s coming with 20” wheels from the Sports package. Same deal with ordering. Dealer is switching out the 20” for 18” from a new 2021 now on the lot. I’m driving it right over to Discount Tires and they’re installing Michelin Defender Load E tires. These tires are very quiet, superb in rain and very good in snow. Read the report from the Tire Rack or Consumers Report on these tires that rate at the very top from both.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here are the pics I promised for anyone interested. I like the look of the 18's so much more than the 22's it came with. Even tested them out on the drive to work this morning. Wet roads had frozen in spots and the state didn't put deicer down. No problems for me, but other people were sliding a bit at times and had to slow down.

New tires side.jpg

New tires front quarter.jpg

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the pics I promised for anyone interested. I like the look of the 18's so much more than the 22's it came with. Even tested them out on the drive to work this morning. Wet roads had frozen in spots and the state didn't put deicer down. No problems for me, but other people were sliding a bit at times and had to slow down.

View attachment 108085

View attachment 108086

Looks good Mike!

Pyleketerson

Reaction score

Occasionally, we’ll get a freak snow storm, like this one in 2017 that dropped about a foot in the northern ‘burbs of Atlanta. But that’s rare.

View attachment 108066
That’s a cool picture. Nice snowman and nice house. Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread