5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pit Stop Mode on OE FOB/ Remote Start

HDub

Reaction score
One creature comfort I love about my current vehicle is the ability to pull up and with a click of a button on my Remote Start FOB, I can engage “Pit Stop” mode. This effectively keeps the vehicle running while I run in somewhere without leaving the keys in the ignition. And also you can lock it.

Love this feature and use it daily.

curious if this Pit Stop functionality comes with any of the 5th Gen Ram trim levels ?

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
One creature comfort I love about my current vehicle is the ability to pull up and with a click of a button on my Remote Start FOB, I can engage “Pit Stop” mode. This effectively keeps the vehicle running while I run in somewhere without leaving the keys in the ignition. And also you can lock it.

Love this feature and use it daily.

curious if this Pit Stop functionality comes with any of the 5th Gen Ram trim levels ?
I can't speak to all trim levels, but with my bighorn I can leave it running and keep the key in my pocket. I can also lock the doors, but have to use the key for to do so. I very rarely lock it when running, since I live in a safer, smaller, rural community where auto theft and breaking don't really happen much. Also when I do leave it running its usually because I'm not gonna be gone more than about 2 minutes, like to run into house or garage to grab garage, or to stop into the gas station for a soda or whatever. Only downfall is with the engine running, even if the key for isn't in the truck anymore it can still be driven away.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tested locking the truck w/the Fob and key running; which works, but should try that with the window down and ‘break in’ and see about driving off...

I’ll have to try the remote start button when outside to see if it kicks over to ‘Remote Start’ mode, but I doubt it

HDub

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback thus far. My wife's Sienna has a similar feature, where you can leave the car (with FOB in hand) and it stays running. As one of you mentioned though, one can still get in it and drive off.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
WIth FOB - you can leave engine running and either lock with fob, or with button on door handle.

Or shutdown and restart with remote start (which locks the doors and starts).

Shutdown/remote-start is probably the SAFER of the two options - as the truck can't be "fully started" and driven off without the fob present in the cabin. So that would prevent a "break-in/drive-off" incident (though any potential thief wouldn't know the difference and still break in, only to find they can't drive off - at which point I SHOOT THEM). Keeping in mind - if a thief drives off with a truck left running, they don't get a restart. "Thieves of opportunity" (the kind that jump into running vehicles) aren't vehicle security experts (RFID scanners and the like). And the experts don't need a fob to steal your truck if they really want it.

I haven't smoked in my truck ONCE in the 10 months since purchase (which people who know me find miraculous - and friends who smoke find ANNOYING) - so I frequently stop while out and about to grab a smoke. Here in SoFla I leave it running with AC full blast so I don't have to cool it off all over again. I do it both ways - depending on how far away from the truck I have to wander to find shade (or use the can).

As long as we're talking security - a few other things to suggest. Like - 1) DON'T PROGRAM YOUR HOME ADDRESS INTO THE FACTORY GPS - and - 2) DON'T PROGRAM THE GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

Obviously - both 1 & 2 to a "pro car thief" also gives them unrestricted access to YOUR HOME. I haven't checked it on the RAM - but my previous Honda Pilots, the in-car garage door openers worked even without the vehicle being on - so someone could easily break into the car and activate your door opener. Or steal your car, be lead right to your home and be in pretty damn fast. I keep a small opener fob on my keychain and it's just as easy to reach over and press the button, as it is to reach up to the visor (plus, my truck doesn't fit in my garage anyways).

I (personally) think the factory GPS sucks anyways - and use Google Maps (satellite view) and Music in iPhone Carplay Dual Screen mode anyways. Considering the base OS for the factory unit is likely a form of android (as most are) - wouldn't it be easier for car manufacturers to just use GOOGLE MAPS as their native GPS? No updates needed, much better GUI, better voice activated searches. I know - OFF TOPIC...

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/