5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking up a '19 Rebel: Things to check before I own it? +the decision +plans

Dhowman

Reaction score
Hello all - First post. Finalized a deal on a 2019 Rebel Quad and looking for advice on a checklist of things to go over before I finalize the purchase. Options on the truck: Level 2 package, 33 Gal Tank, Rear Wheelhouse Covers, V8 but not ETorque. They're addressing the one recall now (mods to floor mat so it doesn't interfere with accelerator pedal). Looks like that's the only recall for this VIN. Not too bad. I'm also going to ask 'em to change the oil. It's only got 24 miles on the odo but I'm guessing it's been sitting in the lot for a year.

My plans: once it's broken in, will be dropping my FWC Eagle in the bed. Initially looked at mid-sized trucks the Eagle's designed for, but did the GVWR math and was exceeding or pushing the envelope on all available options. Per my research on this particular VIN, max bed payload is 1600# and max total payload is 1950#. Sweet!

Also seriously considered the Ecodiesel, but everywhere I looked/asked, drop any load into the bed or behind the truck and doesn't matter which engine you choose, MPGs are in the 10-12 range so no MPG benefit going with the ED and it'll be cheaper to maintain and at the pump. Will loose a little bit of low end torque, but I won't be hauling heavy loads or rock crawling this thing. WILL be embarking on long range overlanding in about 6 months though. First trip: Northern AK, Hudson Bay, Newfoundland, down the east coast, across the southern US and then Baja.

This will be my first domestic vehicle purchase. Have only ever driven Toyota's. Current truck is a '97 T100 4x4 that's been an absolute beast of a vehicle but I think I want a few more creature comforts and a newer truck for the long upcoming trip. Was a really hard decision to jump the Toyota ship. Love the reliability and the longevity and I'll miss that peace of mind with the Ram 1500, though FCA does seem to be getting better. Not completely comfortable just crossing my fingers so will likely plunk down the extra $3.2k for the extended 7yr/100k mile warranty. So, will be giving up the Tundra's rep for the better comfort, ride quality and amenities the Rebel seems to have going for it.

CAD drawings of the truck with my camper:

Eagle on Rebel Quad 2.JPG Eagle on Rebel Quad 3.JPG

Any advice, tips or feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lookup “new car lot rot” on your search engine and make sure your Rebel doesn’t have some of the issues listed. Brakes seem to be a problem, perhaps tires and the starting battery too.

I’d agree that an extended factory warranty is a good idea however as far as price goes usually the dealer selling the truck is not giving you the same good price as you can get online from volume sellers of true FCA warranties. Search “discounted FCA factory warranties” or the like.
Just make sure its a true factory warranty not a 3rd party or “through this dealer only” one. I forget what the two big sellers names are but search for “extended FCA warranty Seller” or something of the sort.

As far as TSB’s goes, some dealers will look the list of known ones over and others will only address it/them if you bring it back to fix a reproducible issue.

Good luck whichever way you go. As far as a checklist, just go over it with the proverbial “fine tooth comb” inside and outside. Paint flaws, misaligned body panels, interior trim pieces. Again, a search of the forum will bring you some threads on issues that have been reported.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a few things to check :
1)Check fo faint crack in rear window frame on top on each side of center operating glass.
2Make sure your radio works as expected including Apple cap play or Android auto.
3)Check tailgate open and closes properly

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a few things to check :
1)Check fo faint crack in rear window frame on top on each side of center operating glass.
2Make sure your radio works as expected including Apple cap play or Android auto.
3)Check tailgate open and closes properly

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
these are great things to check. when you check the tailgate, make sure it doesnt rub the paint on the passenger side. A lot of them do rub.

Id also check to make sure there arent any cracks in the brake lights, as a few people have reported them randomly cracking.

I have the rear window frame crack, mentioned above

silver billet

Reaction score
I doubt those payload numbers are accurate for your specific truck. Check the door jamb, the sticker there is "king" and any different values found in other spots (online or dealer info) are inaccurate.

Trevor89

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the whole ED providing the same mileage as the hemi under load, in my experiences pulling a 5000lb travel trailer I am about 20% better than the 5.7. Granted I live in very hilly country so the low end torque climbing the hills probably makes a fairly big difference.

Also if you are driving through Canada , diesel is almost always cheaper than gas here, and currently where I am in the interior of British Columbia diesel is 14% cheaper. Depends where you live I guess. I love the low end torque and no deafening exhaust drone when pulling a load up a hill.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've said it before; too many people just look at a difference of "2 or 3 mpg" as negligible. When you're comparing 30 to 33 then yeah 3 mpg isn't that significant, but when the mpg is so low (10 to 13), it's like 20 to 25% difference.

Kooch80

Reaction score
before you drive check the tire pressure too. they get delivered to the lot with the pressure around 65 PSI, way over what is recommended and it affects the ride dramatically

Gusman4

Reaction score
I would make sure it’s got the updated tsb’s for the transmission and ecm. Just check the tsb thread For specific tsb #’s

unxpctd

Reaction score
I've been researching 4WC'ers for awhile now. Do you have the air suspension? It's not recommended for truck campers. If I go truck camper route I'll be getting a Hawk and a
3500 in a couple years when I retire.

Good luck with the build/setup! I currently have a 2017 Rebel and love it.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the whole ED providing the same mileage as the hemi under load, in my experiences pulling a 5000lb travel trailer I am about 20% better than the 5.7. Granted I live in very hilly country so the low end torque climbing the hills probably makes a fairly big difference.

Also if you are driving through Canada , diesel is almost always cheaper than gas here, and currently where I am in the interior of British Columbia diesel is 14% cheaper. Depends where you live I guess. I love the low end torque and no deafening exhaust drone when pulling a load up a hill.

I second this. I had a 2019 with the hemi and got 8-9mpg towing my 5,000lb traveler trailer. Now with my 2020 ecodiesel the one time I’ve had a chance to pull it I got 15mpg. That is a huge difference obviously.

As far as things to check, the crack on the rear window surround for sure, my 2019 had that, the 2020 does not so far. And just do a thorough check of the body, paint, and undercarriage. Bring up anything you see that you don’t like or want fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread