5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of crashed Ram: what generation?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Saw this pic of a totaled Ram.

Is this a current gen 1500? It looks like it, but the taillights don’t look the same.

Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_0942.png
    IMG_0942.png
    716.9 KB · Views: 96

Arth

Reaction score
Saw this pic of a totaled Ram.

Is this a current gen 1500? It looks like it, but the taillights don’t look the same.

Anyone know?

13-18 Ram 2500/3500. Wheels with 8 lugs means it's heavy duty. Those tail lights started production in 2013 for Laramie and above trims and ended in 2018.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Glad it is it not our generation.

The A pillar on the vehicle above folded in, which is a sign of a weak safety cage (or extreme crash forces).

I think Ram made big improvements to crashworthiness with the 5th gen, based on crash test results, which is why I suspected it was a different generation.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, thier still using that same cab on the HD's and the classic, they can get away with it as they don't do the crash tests on the HD trucks and I guess they don't retest the classic either

Insanity

Reaction score
yea, thier still using that same cab on the HD's and the classic, they can get away with it as they don't do the crash tests on the HD trucks and I guess they don't retest the classic either

From my brief interaction in that industry even the smallest change ment a new crash test. In particular it had to do with Jeep wrangler seats and the mechanism to adjust the seat fore and aft. The engineers explained to me that even one small change that was griefing rather corpulent people with a ratcheting sound while in seat and making adjustments. That they would have to re-crash test because that part was integral to keeping one's 4th point of contact in situation during a incident. This was explained to me after I stated don't make the pins so long like by 2mm. The guy who was the head of designing the seat had said that is a great idea but it would cost way too much to fix and it was left to what it was. It was better to leave it as a very minor customer complaint vs a full redesign. Stelantis DGAF.

Users who are viewing this thread