5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phoenix Automative Screen vs Infotaintment

jsmith032

Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong forum the other day so some of you might see it here...

I have a 2021 Ram Limited UC4 12 inch... with all the add-ons (360 cam, siriusxm, Sirius xm guardian, heated/cooled seats)

I really want the UC5, mainly for the full screen and wireless car play (apple guy). Id "like" to have the ability to watch YTTV or Netflix, etc when driving on long trips so I think the Phoenix is the best option.

I've followed some threads here about the Phoenix and the Infotainment but figured Id have people that owned one or the other chime in on the same thread with some pros/cons. From what I read not many people have went from the UC4 in a limited to a UC5 and/or the Phoenix. I know with the Infotainment Id need to get a new CVPM module and have the dealer calibrate it for the 360 view cam. Is the infotainment worth the added cost from the Phoenix and the hassle of taking to my dealer to get it calibrated? Is the Phoenix worth the hassle dealing with the gotcha's I've seen people post?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong forum the other day so some of you might see it here...

I have a 2021 Ram Limited UC4 12 inch... with all the add-ons (360 cam, siriusxm, Sirius xm guardian, heated/cooled seats)

I really want the UC5, mainly for the full screen and wireless car play (apple guy). Id "like" to have the ability to watch YTTV or Netflix, etc when driving on long trips so I think the Phoenix is the best option.

I've followed some threads here about the Phoenix and the Infotainment but figured Id have people that owned one or the other chime in on the same thread with some pros/cons. From what I read not many people have went from the UC4 in a limited to a UC5 and/or the Phoenix. I know with the Infotainment Id need to get a new CVPM module and have the dealer calibrate it for the 360 view cam. Is the infotainment worth the added cost from the Phoenix and the hassle of taking to my dealer to get it calibrated? Is the Phoenix worth the hassle dealing with the gotcha's I've seen people post?
First, you don't need the dealer to recalibrate the cameras, you can do it with AlfaOBD.

Second, I have the Phoenix and there are 2 threads on here with lots of information from people.

I thought about going to UC5, but went with the Phoenix because it has more to offer since it is a full Android tablet.

jsmith032

Reaction score
First, you don't need the dealer to recalibrate the cameras, you can do it with AlfaOBD.

Second, I have the Phoenix and there are 2 threads on here with lots of information from people.

I thought about going to UC5, but went with the Phoenix because it has more to offer since it is a full Android tablet.
What did you upgrade from>?

jsmith032

Reaction score
UC4, 12 inch
Does the Phoenix use the GPS antenna or is it strictly google maps with wifi/hotspot/sim card? Did /Do you have SiriusXM Guardian?

Where did you route your 2 USB cables?

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does the Phoenix use the GPS antenna or is it strictly google maps with wifi/hotspot/sim card? Did /Do you have SiriusXM Guardian?

Where did you route your 2 USB cables?
I don't use Guardian. I used the sharkfin for radio, GPS, and LTE. The extra USB cable is just routed down in the center console. The other is used for the factory USB.

jsmith032

Reaction score
I don't use Guardian. I used the sharkfin for radio, GPS, and LTE. The extra USB cable is just routed down in the center console. The other is used for the factory USB.
Do you know if it will work with the integrated truck GPS antenna? Do you have the 360 Cameras? Im guessing the side mirrors video runs to the same connector so they one RCA is all thats needed.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Do you know if it will work with the integrated truck GPS antenna? Do you have the 360 Cameras? Im guessing the side mirrors video runs to the same connector so they one RCA is all thats needed.
That's what I said. I used the Sharkfin which is on the back of the truck cab. Yes, I have the 36 cameras (installed them myself). It uses the same cable as the normal rear-view camera. It's just a pass thorough and displays what the CVPM outputs. Just like the factory Uconnect.

Reaction score
$720 with the coupon code for the 8 gig version. if it works and is not trash seems kind of sweet. i would rock it over the infotain because ease of integration price and how many of you guys have had the factory 12 inch delaminate?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$720 with the coupon code for the 8 gig version. if it works and is not trash seems kind of sweet. i would rock it over the infotain because ease of integration price and how many of you guys have had the factory 12 inch delaminate?
Never heard of the factory 12” delaminating until now. Fingers crossed mine holds up (5.5 years so far)!

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I was very tempted to pull the trigger on the Phoenix at basically $779 shipped with the discount code. After seeing the problems guys are having with the cluster flickering on and off and killing batteries...I think I have to wait till there's a fix.

Seems like a smoking deal though. The other one I can't understand is the Sirius XM radio. Can anyone confirm if you can still use your Sirius onboard radio with the Phoenix?

Reaction score
to be honest i'm fine with the 8.4 the big screen seems like it will just add to distracted driving.

Reaction score
to be honest i'm fine with the 8.4 the big screen seems like it will just add to distracted driving. my phone mirror's google maps and i don't need to update it. any web surfing i need to do i just wait till i'm stopped and again use the phone. do i need apps on the dash of the truck? not really.

Users who are viewing this thread