5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

performance muffler swap

jrw921

Reaction score
Need some advice. Time to give this thing a little grumble. I had a 14" Maggie on my 2014 and the drone was ridiculous. By the time I got done adding lead-in resonators to make it livable, I could have had a complete new exhaust system. So all due respect to Magnaflow lovers, but I been there. Sorry.
So I have to make a decision between Flowmaster Super 50 or Borla ProXs. Both offer offset single 3" in/3" out configurations to fit stock set up.
I DO NOT want to hear this thing in the cab unless I ask for it. It can be crazy out the back but no noise inside. An no, leaving this stock horizontal hot water heater looking thing is not an option.
Advise Please. Thanks all.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can get that from most weld-in muffles on this RAM, it has 3 resonators, one just after the cat and the two big ones near the tips. It rarely drones in V8 mode, even with an aggressive muffler like the Flowmaster Outlaw which I have.

However, almost all will drone somewhat when in MDS 4-cylinder mode. There is a reason why the OEM muffler looks like a oil can. However, there are full systems designed not to drone with MDS mode, like the Borla systems.

If you are fine with turning off your MDS, then any system should work when at lower rpm cruising. If not, you will need to pay more for a full system designed with MDS operation in mind.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
I went with a flowmaster delta 40 and had the resonators deleted. All done at a local shop know for quality work. No regrets and no drone at highway speeds. I've been very happy with my setup and cost was cheaper than most kits.

jrw921

Reaction score
You can get that from most weld-in muffles on this RAM, it has 3 resonators, one just after the cat and the two big ones near the tips. It rarely drones in V8 mode, even with an aggressive muffler like the Flowmaster Outlaw which I have.

However, almost all will drone somewhat when in MDS 4-cylinder mode. There is a reason why the OEM muffler looks like a oil can. However, there are full systems designed not to drone with MDS mode, like the Borla systems.

If you are fine with turning off your MDS, then any system should work when at lower rpm cruising. If not, you will need to pay more for a full system designed with MDS operation in mind.
I shut off the MDS just out of habit from having the 2014, so that isn't a concern. Are you saying the 5th gen stock setup is an improvement over the gen 4 due to additional resonators? That would make a difference.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I shut off the MDS just out of habit from having the 2014, so that isn't a concern. Are you saying the 5th gen stock setup is an improvement over the gen 4 due to additional resonators? That would make a difference.

Perfect then, you should be fine with most aftermarket mufflers you choose. I have arguably one of the loudest mufflers (Flowmaster Outlaw), practically the same size as the exhaust piping, and at cruising and highway, it's perfectly quiet.

Those 3 resonators really help in putting out any droning. So anything quieter should be even better. Also remember we all have different taste and tolerances. What maybe quiet to someone is loud to another.

Only issue you may have is that each of the two rear resonators have 4 weep holes each, total of 8. They can sound rather "airy" at cold start with an aftermarket muffler. Some people plug them up, at least the ones facing towards the bumper. I don't mind them myself.

jrw921

Reaction score
Perfect then, you should be fine with most aftermarket mufflers you choose. I have arguably one of the loudest mufflers (Flowmaster Outlaw), practically the same size as the exhaust piping, and at cruising and highway, it's perfectly quiet.

Those 3 resonators really help in putting out any droning. So anything quieter should be even better. Also remember we all have different taste and tolerances. What maybe quiet to someone is loud to another.

Only issue you may have is that each of the two rear resonators have 4 weep holes each, total of 8. They can sound rather "airy" at cold start with an aftermarket muffler. Some people plug them up, at least the ones facing towards the bumper. I don't mind them myself.
Thanks SD Rebel. Great information. Just got to decide. My Texas pickup brain says; Flowmaster, but my intelligent, refined brain says: Borla. Just got to decide who wins. :sneaky:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Lol, I think I paid $230 for my muffler including install, price was a big motivator for me. The muffler is was like $100 plus labor and taxes. I went the weld-in route because my service advisor recommended welding in instead of direct fit which have a tendency to get loose over time.

The Borla system sounds awesome, just as good if not better than any other I've heard, plus no issues with MDS drone (which don't matter to you anyways), but a little to rich for my blood.

jrw921

Reaction score
Lol, I think I paid $230 for my muffler including install, price was a big motivator for me. The muffler is was like $100 plus labor and taxes. I went the weld-in route because my service advisor recommended welding in instead of direct fit which have a tendency to get loose over time.

The Borla system sounds awesome, just as good if not better than any other I've heard, plus no issues with MDS drone (which don't matter to you anyways), but a little to rich for my blood.
If Amazon is any indication the Borla ProXS 40353 is cheaper than the FM Super 50 series. AND, it is silver not black which will match the existing plumbing. Maybe I am overlooking something?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If Amazon is any indication the Borla ProXS 40353 is cheaper than the FM Super 50 series. AND, it is silver not black which will match the existing plumbing. Maybe I am overlooking something?

Oh I meant the catback Borla systems specifically tuned for the 2019-newer RAMs, not the individual mufflers in regards to Borla. My discussion was about mufflers vs catback more than brand specific. Though the most popular catback on DT RAMs is the Borla system.

jrw921

Reaction score
Oh I meant the catback Borla systems specifically tuned for the 2019-newer RAMs, not the individual mufflers.
Ok, Gotcha. I am looking to just swap out the muffler, not the catback. Is that not a good idea?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ok, Gotcha. I am looking to just swap out the muffler, not the catback. Is that not a good idea?

No, that's a great idea, it's what most of us do, very happy with my swapped out Flowmaster muffler.

The only reason why I would go with a full catback is maybe see some hp gains and of course avoid drone with MDS operation. However like you, I turn off my MDS the second I start my truck.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I just went with a straight up muffler delete. Kept the resonators because they make a big difference in drone, but plugged the weep holes. As @SD Rebel says, it gets annoying when MDS kicks in at lower speeds, (doesn't make a huge difference on highway) but otherwise sounds great. I think whatever muffler you swap out for will sound great with minimal drone assuming you keep the resonators. At the very least the lead in one. It's the most cost efficient way to unlock the HEMI sound, but if $$$ isn't an issue a full catback system is the way to go obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread