5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pentastar MPG

Lowly Jimson

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500, V6 Pentastar gasoline engine, 10K miles since new in April: Truck is rated at 19/21/24. City and combined mileage ok to great, averaging 22.5 day in/out. However, cruising on the highway or freeway at 72+ mph gives a rock solid 20 mpg unless I have a headwind and I get knocked back to 18, opposite with a tailwind. Truck is rated at 24 on highway. Never happens. Even with all the caveats about professional driver, good brand of gas, ideal conditions and all the other disclaimers I feel the rig should show at least 22 mpg, especially since that's what I get in mixed country driving. No way am I doing the 18% reduction in mpg on the highway. Dealer basically says "tough luck" and gives me another lecture on EPA ratings. Truck is not performing as advertised.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Do you have the 3.92 rear by chance? Or any lift? (i.e. a Rebel or North Edition, or the off-road suspension option?) Any of those things will reduce mpg. I believe the only Maroney mpg adjustment that Ram makes on V-6’s is for 4WD. I have the 5.7 with 3.21 rear and standard height and I get 22 mpg easy on the highway at 55 mph. Here in Vermont, the standard speed limit is 50, so we do more 55 driving than most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Also, aren’t the ‘official’ mpg sticker ratings for 55 mpg? They always used to be. Not sure about now. For a big frontal area vehicle like a truck, there could easily be a 15% difference in mpg between 55 and +72 mpg... both for mechanical losses and air friction... but mostly due to air friction. For +72 mph speeds, your mpg doesn’t surprise me... especially since roads are never perfectly flat, nor is there usually no wind or need not to brake and accelerate. I wish the sticker mpg ratings were more in the realm of ‘what you can realistically expect’ mpg’s. For some reason, for many Ram trucks any way, that’s not what the sticker mpg rating is indicating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taz2016

Reaction score
If I understand correctly you are getting an average of 22.5 MPG. That is an amazing 1.5 MPG greater than the EPA combined rating. If that is a true MPG and not what the computer is telling you, I would be thrilled and forget about what MPG the computer is telling you for the highway. My Pentastar has been averaging a little over 19 actual MPG since I bought it. That is more highway than city driving and with 3.55 axle ratios.

Users who are viewing this thread