5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pentastar Gen 4 vs Gen 5 Comparison:

Pentarod

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 4x4 v6 with 3.55s is just hitting about 425mi over about 15hr45min of drive time which averages 27mph and averaged 20.25mpg. Yesterday I drove up to Placerville from Fair Oaks in sac county, rose about 2200' plus ups and downs (to get my air bag software update, then home, mostly freeway. Then drove over to my sons house near Carmichael, to Sac Metro Air Port, to midtown sac for dinner, the home and averaged 22.5 mpg. That was probably about 75-80% highway and the rest stop and go with about 110 mi. I think the EPA is not far off. On thing I've learn on my 2013 v6 is headwind is a big factor as well as speed. The pentastar is definatly an advanced engine that can run 11.3:1 comp ratio on regular, produce very good horsepower, spin a lot of rpm's and do so super smooth and quiet. I'm hoping they've ironed out most of the bugs so it lasts many miles. As far as going obsolete, I believe the Hemi will be the first to go, then pentastar, both to be replaced with the i6 they're talking about. One has to give the Hemi some credit. For a 50's design, to go all the way to 2020 is amazing. That's getting close to 70 years. I think the Hemi's need for midgrade fuel is the writing on the wall. As far as heavy towing, I'd consider the the 2500 as a better call. I'd never want to hitch mine up to a 7,440 lb load, nor would I want to hitch a hemi up to 12,000lbs. I'd consider all the 1500's good for incidental towing. Why destroy a beautiful machine. As far as now, you cannot beat the deals Ram is offering. A $46,000 msrp for about $30,000. I suspect FCA got a federal green credit grant for the e-torque, then passed it on to the customers with a free e-torque systemj and FCA will benefit from the sales, all from dedicated engineering and federal grant money. Sounds like a win win situation for all. I say buy em while they're cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread