5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pentastar Gen 4 vs Gen 5 Comparison:

BlueStreak19

Reaction score
During my search and eventual ordering of my new 2019 I searched high and low for someone to compare the 3.6L with the previous generation and could not find it. Now after having the new generation for a short time I would like to share my initial thoughts coming directly from a Gen 4 to a Gen 5 Pentastar. Let me start by saying I have bought new ram trucks since the Gen 2's came out in the mid 90's with almost every driveline combination possible and the level of refinement in the powertrains and truck as a whole over this time is stunning to say the least. My last to trucks were a Gen 4 5.7 Hemi, then most recently a Gen 4 3.6L. The 3.6L was a 4X4 Crew Outdoorsman with a 3.21 axle ratio. What pushed me to the Pentastar in the first place was looking for better efficiency in everyday driving as my truck is unloaded 90% of the time and the heaviest trailer I own is 3K lbs, well within reach of this set up. After 3 years of ownership that set up returned an average of 18mpg averaged over it's entire life. That is hand calculated at every fill up not based on the invacuate lie-o-meter as most of you call it. Best tank was 24.6 worst was 13.4. I realized a 4 mpg real world difference across their lives in Gen 4 trucks between the 5.7L and the 3.6L. That truck handled any and everything I asked of it and took it in stride. That truck delivered everything I needed so now when it was time for a Gen 5 the capability with the Pentastar never came into question for me. Enough of the past, lets get on the the good stuff. My gen 5 is a Loaded 4x4 Laramie crew so it is a very heavy truck, I imagine that many Pentastars find their way into tradesman models with a lower curb weight so this should be the ultimate test for this powertrain. The single biggest difference I immediately notice with the Gen 5 is how torquey it feels during "normal" driving. Guys get hung up on 0-60 times and such but I'm to the point where real world driving impression is much more important. I can't put my finger on why the engine seems to have more usable torque if its the e-torque, the change to a 3.55 axle gear, or the upgrades to the base engine with variable valve lift etc. The power feels similar to the Magnum V8's of years past. It will never hold a candle to the 400 horsepower trucks of today, but delivers more than enough power and capability for most 1/2 ton pickup owners. Wide open throttle and highway passing performance from the seat of the pants seems to be the same if not slightly improved. I haven't put enough miles on yet to get a good read on fuel economy yet but I will add updates as they come. For what it's worth the lie-o-meter has been hanging around 16.6mpg half way though the first tank of fuel and it has been extremely cold so I use the remote start every day. So stay tuned. The whole reason I posted this is I feel that there are other Pentastar fans out there in the same boat I was, and all I can say is if you were happy the Gen4 you well be thrilled with the Gen 5. This engine is very capable but largely gets looked over by it Hemi big brother. Thank you FCA for making the Pentastar available across all trim lines. Even though it is not your volume seller us Pentastar fans appreciate it. The only thing I do miss form the Hemi is the sound, but if a guy can get over that the Pentastar is a very capable choice. Last but not least one other thing that I have never seen anyone talk about is the difference in handlining. Not that a pickup is a sports car but with the smaller engine the handling of these trucks seems so much more responsive. I would attribute this to the lighter front end weight thus better weight balance. Maybe that is something only someone who has spent a lot of time with both setups would notice. Anyway thanks for reading my rant and I hope someone find this helpful. I will add updates as appropriate. Cheers!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome post; I've been jones'ing for some new Pentastar feedback. I'd like to see the 4th gen and 5th gen torque charts to see how the new engine was tweaked.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 3.6 Pentastar in my 2014 Outdoorsman with 3.55 gears and loved it. I think the numbers are still the same 305hp and 269ft-lbs of torque. I was thinking of getting on my 2019 Rebel but it's not available in Canada(only Hemi is)

jeshively

Reaction score
I completely agree with your post, I took delivery of my penastar 1500 just after the new year and love it (minus the sub v8 exhaust note). With a little over 3,000 miles on it now, the mpg keeps climbing and I’m averaging 20 at the moment. This mileage includes remote starts due to the Ohio weather.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great write up. While I did go with the Hemi since I tow quite a bit, I think the Pentastar is a great option. I have had two in mini vans and love them. Very reliable and efficient. I also have had every gen Ram and I’m sure the Pentastar will outrun any of the old magnums.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great write up and thank you for sharing the info. I’ve been around them and good engines. I drove 5th gen before I bought mine and was quite surprised by the usable power curve for daily driving it had.

I needed some v8 back in my life and some towing in time to come so I choose the hemi.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
So far, my truck has done everything I have asked of it with the V6 and 3.55. I am happy with the engine and it really does remind me of the 5.2 (318) Magnum V-8 that I had in my 99 Ram ST back in the day. (but with much better milage)

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ those 5.2/5.9 platform engine where made to last. Mpgs where not in the mix of design. Haha

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We bought a new Grand Cherokee and a Limited Hemi Ram on the same day. I test drove the GC in both Hemi and Pentastar Overland trims. We chose the v6. It...to me...felt quicker than the Hemi, and has better fuel mileage. It was a no brainer. Zero complaints on that engine.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
We bought a new Grand Cherokee and a Limited Hemi Ram on the same day. I test drove the GC in both Hemi and Pentastar Overland trims. We chose the v6. It...to me...felt quicker than the Hemi, and has better fuel mileage. It was a no brainer. Zero complaints on that engine.
Son has the Cherokee with the Penstar and gets 30 highway, this is a 4x4 Limited so its a few hundred pounds heavier than the EPA rated 4x2 base model. Thats a fantastic engine in a lighter vehicle. While I wouldnt (and didnt) purchase it in a loaded 4x4 CC, I think it certainly has its place in a flatland 4x2 truck. Theres a couple lawn maintenance guys around here who use that engine with a Gen 4 Tradesman and pull 3-4K max trailers, they like the economy of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Penstar is an awesome engine. I have it in my 2014 GC Summit and opted for it on my 2019 Ram 1500 limited with every option. ( excluding the big tow package, this package will delete your 360 surround cameras) The V6 eTorque in the Ram is outstanding. I have 500 miles and I went from 13.4 (at 6 miles) to 15.3 miles so far as it breaks in.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Glad you like it. I looked a a Ltd with the 6 but the salesman warned me off pf it for resale purposes. (He knows I trade every 3-5 years). It was Interesting since it was on his own lot... :unsure:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you like it. I looked a a Ltd with the 6 but the salesman warned me off pf it for resale purposes. (He knows I trade every 3-5 years). It was Interesting since it was on his own lot... :unsure:
I so get what your saying. My first thought was...... he’s thinking ‘how the hell can I sell this off, used when he brings back for something new :ROFLMAO:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I so get what your saying. My first thought was...... he’s thinking ‘how the hell can I sell this off, used when he brings back for something new :ROFLMAO:
Could have been, since he’s been there 24 years and on his 2nd owner.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid 32,500 +TTL for my 2015 Laramie with the v6, brand new. Just sold it to Carvana for 23,565. I don’t think I took a big hit with the v6 considering I drove it for 4 years.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I paid 32,500 +TTL for my 2015 Laramie with the v6, brand new. Just sold it to Carvana for 23,565. I don’t think I took a big hit with the v6 considering I drove it for 4 years.
Most American built vehicles depreciate more than that in 4 years, you did well.

Pentarod

Reaction score
I'll chime in with BlueStreak. My first RAM was a 2013 Trademan crew cab 3.6l 2wd, the first year. Right of the bat I noticed the smooth responsive torque that required very little throttle to go. Not sure what the axle ratio was, but if you weren't used to the throttle, it would delay then snap out the hole with a little chirp. The real noticeable thing was it always had a throttle response delay, then it would launch. On the highway it was quiet and as calm as a *****, but when you did to pass, the exhaust note would come alive, but the motor was quiet and smooth as silk when revving. I always got great mileage, 17-20 around the NE Sac county suburbs. On the highway going 65-70 usually 23-26. From Bend to Mt Bachelor and back going 50 it was like 28. Coming back from my ex beach house near Yachats Oregon after some remodeling pulling a 12' enclosed utility trailer jam packed with tools and etc plus the bed with about 900 lbs of oak hardwood flooring, likely a 5000lb payload, I lift Florence with a full tank. I took 1001 south to 138, east to 38 to I5 and I5 to Sac, about 520 miles. Still had about 80 miles to go. It came out to like 17.5 mpg. That's up and down along I5 and over the Siskyou's pulling a trailer. Pulling the same trailer with our 04 sienna would go from 23 down to 15. The mechanical trouble I had with it were 3rd brake like cab leak, a bad stereo, rear gate locker, exhaust tailpipe gasket, radiator leak the oil filter cooler line leak. My concern with that one was it alway ran hot, even worse when towing on a hot day Normally it ran btwn 219-228, towing, almost touch the hot line. I sold the truck last wee with just over 60 mi. The new ones have gone through both transmission and engine revisions. I just bought 2019 Big Horn Sport quad Cab 4x4 3.6L with some upgrades and 3.55 antislip. I haven't owned it long enough (about 270mi) to provide an accurately assess. So far all good, just had the line x bed done this morning. It's just starting to feel responsive, mile about where it should be and better when driven real easy. The best of all, is the temp stays down around 197 in Sacramento's 100+ temps. Most people who drive hemis never really tow, nor do they ever get on it. If either of those is a priority, I'm sure the hemi's a better match. For me I think the pentastar is fine for my day day use and for my home projects and still be able to get real good mileage. If a hemi is not fully utilized, you always stuck with mid grade fuel with greater consumption. I think the pentastar has a good balance of economy and function and can handle some incidental though jobs. It cost less to buy, own and operate and when you sale, it will likely yield just a little less. I'l save my money for snow plow service at my cabin and pay for my annual ski resort passes. But for many, the hemi is definitely a better choice. I think the throttle delay is a little less on the Gen5 than the Gen4 pentastar.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Great report and you got very good mpg out of that v6! The 3.55’s are just right for that truck.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Excellent post and thread. As a "hemi or nothing" kind of guy, i'm still a staunch defender of the pentastar. Great efficiency. It is in my opinion the best of the lower tow rated tier of 1/2 ton trucks, for its combination of efficiency, performance, and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online