5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload Confusion - Need Help

cerrmj

Reaction score
I just ordered a new truck camper - will weigh approx 3500lbs loaded. I really want a new RAM 3500 4x4 SWD Gas Shortbed (Limited or Limited Longhorn). However, I'm having no luck finding a payload number I can trust. The RAM payload calculator page shows 3750 for the Limited and 3850 for the Limited Longhorn. However when I look at the model comparison page it shows very different numbers of 3310 for the Limited and 3380 for the Limited Longhorn - which will not be enough payload for the camper. (pics attached) Both webpages have the (*) next to the number with the "when properly equipped" disclaimer. I don't want to roll the dice and order a 70k truck and then look at the sticker on the door jam and find out it won't handle my camper. I did visit a dealer and talked to the "1 ton truck guy" there and he just pointed to the website numbers and shrugged his shoulders. Besides hauling the camper, this needs be my daily driver and I need to park it in my garage - so that is the reason for the SWD gasser. I've done ton of googling and can't find any reliable information and of course right now there are no similar trucks on dealer lots to look at the payload sticker.

Does anyone have a very similar truck to what I'm looking at and could you look at your payload sticker and let me know what the actual payload number ended up being?

I really appreciate any help. I can't believe how hard this is.

Attachments

• payload 2.png
    payload 2.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 13
  • payload.png
    payload.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 13
I just ordered a new truck camper - will weigh approx 3500lbs loaded. I really want a new RAM 3500 4x4 SWD Gas Shortbed (Limited or Limited Longhorn). However, I'm having no luck finding a payload number I can trust. The RAM payload calculator page shows 3750 for the Limited and 3850 for the Limited Longhorn. However when I look at the model comparison page it shows very different numbers of 3310 for the Limited and 3380 for the Limited Longhorn - which will not be enough payload for the camper. (pics attached) Both webpages have the (*) next to the number with the "when properly equipped" disclaimer. I don't want to roll the dice and order a 70k truck and then look at the sticker on the door jam and find out it won't handle my camper. I did visit a dealer and talked to the "1 ton truck guy" there and he just pointed to the website numbers and shrugged his shoulders. Besides hauling the camper, this needs be my daily driver and I need to park it in my garage - so that is the reason for the SWD gasser. I've done ton of googling and can't find any reliable information and of course right now there are no similar trucks on dealer lots to look at the payload sticker.

Does anyone have a very similar truck to what I'm looking at and could you look at your payload sticker and let me know what the actual payload number ended up being?

3500 lbs loaded???

Yes 3500lbs loaded.
I must be missing something here. That puts your tongue weight at approximately 420 lbs. Could easily be towed with a 1500 series. You will have no problem at all to say the least!!!

Perhaps you should clarify. Are you putting on a 3500 camper shell (topper), or pulling a 3500 lb trailer?
I can’t imagine what a 3500 lb topper would look like.
If it’s a trailer, then no problem. You could pull two of those with a 1500.

Perhaps you should clarify. Are you putting on a 3500 camper shell (topper), or pulling a 3500 lb trailer?
I can’t imagine what a 3500 lb topper would look like.
If it’s a trailer, then no problem. You could pull two of those with a 1500.
He was pretty clear. A truck camper. A slide in camper. Goes in the bed of the truck.

This is something very few 1500s can handle, so not very popular here...but he will find many at HDRAMS. The payload struggle does not stop with the half ton lol
Screenshot_20210906-123802~2.png

I assume you're referring to a slide-in camper? Which cab are you considering? (MegaCab or Crew Cab?) The Stellantis Commercial Body Builder website probably has the best and most accurate information on payload and tow ratings. According to the chart on that site the MC is rated for 4340# payload and the CC is rated for 4250# payload. Tow capacity is dependent upon the axle ratio chosen. It might be slightly less for the Limited trims. Your dealer's commercial truck manager should be able to obtain the exact specs for you.

@cerrmj

I see you already found out that you nees our sister site www.HDRAMS.com

When you get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back