5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

payload and tow capacity

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this excellent online Towing Calculator for Travel Trailers. It made it very easy. click here

One question. For trailers with 2 axles, the Vin/Specs sticker lists the axle weight as 4400 lbs per axle (GAWR 4400 each axle). In the spot for entering Axle Weight, do I enter 4400 or 8800 lbs? Not sure if being dual axles makes you have to double the number to 8800, or if the axle rate is just 4400. Any axle rating experts in here?

slimchance

Reaction score
i followed you link to the Husky site and tried to fill it out.... guess i am just to dumb cause i failed to come up with anything that made sense ... the site gives NO explanations that i could find

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i followed you link to the Husky site and tried to fill it out.... guess i am just to dumb cause i failed to come up with anything that made sense ... the site gives NO explanations that i could find

Seems rather straight forward... fill in all the boxes with the requested information. Granted, I don't know where to find all the information it is asking for but if I did have it, I'd just plug in the numbers.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree not having directions makes it a little difficult and I had to Google a few of the items. The only one I could not find is axle weight. Not sure if they are meeting the actual weight on the axles of a trailer if you pull it on a scale or the maximum axle weight rating for an axle. My trailer has dual axles so I'm not sure if I enter the number or double it? Anybody knows anything would love some info

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

slimchance

Reaction score
Seems rather straight forward... fill in all the boxes with the requested information. Granted, I don't know where to find all the information it is asking for but if I did have it, I'd just plug in the numbers.

guess you are right ... IF i knew what they were asking for AND had that information ... Then it would be easy

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
guess you are right ... IF i knew what they were asking for AND had that information ... Then it would be easy

What they are asking for is right there on the page... a couple of items could be a bit more clear, such as the case pointed out by @Cmerkert about the axles.

slimchance

Reaction score
here is a PDF of the Husky calculator filled in as best i can ... does not make sense to me .... just too old

Attachments

• Towing Calculator _ Husky Towing.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 22

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here is a PDF of the Husky calculator filled in as best i can ... does not make sense to me .... just too old

Is that for the RAM? I thought max GCWR was 17000?
It says you are over by 1,497.6 lbs...

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So why is on Reserve Trailer negative and the other positive? Are you over or what?? Where? Still confused....

slimchance

Reaction score
well i post that so one of you who knows how to fill it out can correct me ... i have another calculator that is easy to fill out and has explanations for each entry ... believe me i am ok with this outfit, just do NOT understand this Husky sheet

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well i post that so one of you who knows how to fill it out can correct me ... i have another calculator that is easy to fill out and has explanations for each entry ... believe me i am ok with this outfit, just do NOT understand this Husky sheet

Can you link the one you use? Perhaps by comparing the two we can figure it out...

slimchance

Reaction score
and here are 2 PDFs of my trk filled out ... could not put both pages on one PDF (don't know why)

edit ... reloaded GVWR-andPayload-Cal.Pdf to correct error

Attachments

• GVWR-and-Payload-Calc page 2.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
  • GVWR-and-Payload-Calc.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Agreed - it's very vague. Would love to see the calculator that you do use. Please share it if you can.

slimchance

Reaction score
Agreed - it's very vague. Would love to see the calculator that you do use. Please share it if you can.
goto the video i linked above and download that videos spreadsheet
or use this link... Download the Excel sheet here http://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

the two pdf files above (one is the spreadsheet used in the video aqnd the other is the directions for that spreadsheet)... "GVWR and Payload Calculator" and "GVWR and Payload Calculator page 2" were developed with the videos excel spreadsheet

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
goto the video i linked above and download that videos spreadsheet
or use this link... Download the Excel sheet here http://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

the two pdf files above (one is the spreadsheet used in the video aqnd the other is the directions for that spreadsheet)... "GVWR and Payload Calculator" and "GVWR and Payload Calculator page 2" were developed with the videos excel spreadsheet

Where are you getting GCVWR 18,200? All I'm finding says it is 17,000...

slimchance

Reaction score
ooops ... saved my sheet when helping somebody else .. rechecked the #s and 17,000 #s should have been there for me .... reloaded the above Pdf to this one below

Attachments

• GVWR-and-Payload-Calc.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/