5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pattern exhibited by the cold start lifter clatter?

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
Just putting this out there, even though I know a few threads have been started already.

In 6400 miles, I have had two instances where I’ve started the engine and heard the 5 second clatter. The first was at about 1500 miles on the factory fill and oil filter, and the second was on a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter with Valvoline 5w-20 FS high mileage oil. But, the common denominator of those two events occurred within a couple hours of an engine start where the engine ran briefly, like less than 30 seconds (both times I was just moving the truck from the driveway to the street). The first time, the engine wasn’t cold…it was a hot summer day, so while it had cooled a bit after a fully warmed up drive (I drove the truck, came home, a short while later moved the truck into the street, then the clatter occurred on the subsequent start after that a couple hours later), it certainly hadn’t cooled all the way down. The second time, the engine was cold. There was no lifter clatter on the first cold start today when I moved it to the street, but the second one, about 2 hours later, had the clatter.

Engines…sheesh.

The thing runs perfectly otherwise. Again, maybe there’s a pattern, like the start up clunk when holding the brake pedal down the entire time it starts.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have experienced the same valve-train noise on couple occasions, pretty sure the Fram filter that I also use is sometimes allowing the oil to drain back.
Looking to switch to WIX.
As far as the start-up clunk, trained myself to just tap the pedal and not hold it down.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have experienced the same valve-train noise on couple occasions, pretty sure the Fram filter that I also use is sometimes allowing the oil to drain back.
Looking to switch to WIX.
As far as the start-up clunk, trained myself to just tap the pedal and not hold it down.

Wix XP filters are among the best on the market IMO and what I've been using for the last 10+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread