5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive Entry……who has added this?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I realize there’s already a great thread on doing this project. Read much of it and also watched an install video. Wanted to hear from those who already did the upgrade themselves.

How long did it take you?

Did you run into any major problems along the way?

Do you recommend this job being tackled by anyone? Was it pretty easy?

After owning Laramie’s this is one option I’m really gonna be missing so think it’s in my list of upgrades. Just wanna get input from those who already did it to see how it went for them before I commit to it.

Murt

Reaction score
I realize there’s already a great thread on doing this project. Read much of it and also watched an install video. Wanted to hear from those who already did the upgrade themselves.

How long did it take you?

Did you run into any major problems along the way?

Do you recommend this job being tackled by anyone? Was it pretty easy?

After owning Laramie’s this is one option I’m really gonna be missing so think it’s in my list of upgrades. Just wanna get input from those who already did it to see how it went for them before I commit to it.
If you follow the write up and get jimmy007 harnesses it’s a piece of cake. I would say it’s a half day job. Everything is laid out step by step from the beginning to the end.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
I was going to until I found out how big of a security issue it is. I looked at one that had passive entry to see how it works and what it would do for me. The salesman was standing at the back passenger side corner with the fob and I could open the driver's door. I decided that for me, controlling when the door(s) unlock was better than the convenience that passive entry offers.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to until I found out how big of a security issue it is. I looked at one that had passive entry to see how it works and what it would do for me. The salesman was standing at the back passenger side corner with the fob and I could open the driver's door. I decided that for me, controlling when the door(s) unlock was better than the convenience that passive entry offers.
Are you saying by the tail light? I forgot I had my keys in my golf bag the other day, threw it in the tailgate without unlocking the truck, and closed the tailgate locking my keys under my bed cover. Couldn't open the doors or the tailgate even though the keys were maybe 2 feet away from it. That was a fun 2.5 hours waiting for my wife to bring me the spare key fob.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
This was on a 2020 Laramie Crew cab between the taillight and wheel well, fob was out in his hand chest high. I had him walk around the truck to see where and how close the fob had to be. It was interesting to see where and where not the truck would unlock.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This was on a 2020 Laramie Crew cab between the taillight and wheel well, fob was out in his hand chest high. I had him walk around the truck to see where and how close the fob had to be. It was interesting to see where and where not the truck would unlock.
That must be because of the added tailgate sensor.
My 2017 Laramie won’t unlock unless I’m within 3 feet of the passive door handles.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
That must be because of the added tailgate sensor.
My 2017 Laramie won’t unlock unless I’m within 3 feet of the passive door handles.
That make sense now. In the end with more than a few places the fob being around the truck I could open the driver's door, I couldn't/didn't want to justify the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread