5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passenger door hitting passenger fender when opened.

19reb

I've got this problem when the passenger door is opened on the truck it rubs the passenger fender. You can physically see the gap between the two gets less and less at the bottom of the fender/door. It's rubbing paint off the door and the fender.

Took it to my preferred dealer who put a claim in with Chrysler to get it fixed. Chrysler denied the claim! Now what?

It's pretty sad when a vehicle manufacturer refuses to fix a manufacturer defect and the customer has to pay for it. I hate to say it, but this will be the last Chrysler product I buy. I've bought, not leased, over $300K worth of Chrysler products since 2007 and this is the treatment I get for being a loyal customer....

I contacted Chrysler customer service and was told to expect a call back within 24hrs..

This combined with a very loud POP in the front end and the 11mpg no matter what I do is driving me away from Chrysler.

The only answers I'm getting are "Let it break in more". Really? A pop in the front end is not going to go away by driving it more! The truck has 2700 miles on it. 500 miles is a very common break in period and one Chrysler themselves advertises. How many miles do I need to drive on this to "break it in"? And how much more damage is this truck going to sustain in the front end if I continue to drive it with the very audible POP?

Anyone else had this type of problem with their brand new Rebel?

JohnUSA

Reaction score
That sounds like a fit and finish detail, and the dealer should be embarrassed to have a vehicle leave his dealership in that condition. It certainly wouldn't be my "preferred" dealer anymore.

Lpsteve72

Reaction score
I've got this problem when the passenger door is opened on the truck it rubs the passenger fender. You can physically see the gap between the two gets less and less at the bottom of the fender/door. It's rubbing paint off the door and the fender.

Took it to my preferred dealer who put a claim in with Chrysler to get it fixed. Chrysler denied the claim! Now what?

It's pretty sad when a vehicle manufacturer refuses to fix a manufacturer defect and the customer has to pay for it. I hate to say it, but this will be the last Chrysler product I buy. I've bought, not leased, over $300K worth of Chrysler products since 2007 and this is the treatment I get for being a loyal customer....

I contacted Chrysler customer service and was told to expect a call back within 24hrs..

This combined with a very loud POP in the front end and the 11mpg no matter what I do is driving me away from Chrysler.

The only answers I'm getting are "Let it break in more". Really? A pop in the front end is not going to go away by driving it more! The truck has 2700 miles on it. 500 miles is a very common break in period and one Chrysler themselves advertises. How many miles do I need to drive on this to "break it in"? And how much more damage is this truck going to sustain in the front end if I continue to drive it with the very audible POP?

Anyone else had this type of problem with their brand new Rebel?
This just happened to mine today and the paint and clear coat came off on the edge that rubbed against the front fender. Taking it in tomorrow. Pretty pissed right now. I have 250 miles on the truck. Total ********. They better not deny the repairs.

Saints

Reaction score
Can you guys provide some pics so others may be able to watch out for a potential problem?

Lpsteve72

Reaction score
I dropped mine off at dealer and they took it right in to get it taken care of. No problems at all. Have me a rental as well. Sorry, didn't get a chance to take a photo.
I think the original poster needs to go to a different dealer to get it fixed. For someone to say to let it break in more is ridiculous.

19reb

RAM cares has contacted me and I'm now in the process of getting things taken care of. I believe anyway.

Far as I'm concerned, they have 2 more tries to get this truck squared away. They sent me away once with a POP in the front end. In my state they get three tries and I can lemon law it.

They gave me a rental for 3 days also. So be wary this exact situation may happen too you also.

My choices are pretty limited on dealers in my area. But everyone is correct. I should change my preferred and I will. I'll just have to drive further away.

I'll try and post a pic later on. You won't be able to miss what I'm talking about, though. You'll hear it and feel it when you open the door.

19reb

UPDATE

My preferred just called and RAM Cares wants me to take my truck to a body shop to get a quote for the body panel problem.

Haven't heard anything about the other problems. Indicating they have no plan to do anything about them...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE

My preferred just called and RAM Cares wants me to take my truck to a body shop to get a quote for the body panel problem.

Haven't heard anything about the other problems. Indicating they have no plan to do anything about them...
I have over 12k miles, Fuel economy is 12 MPG. I'd like to think 12k is pretty well broken in at this point and the fuel economy has stayed the same since day 1. Pretty disappointing considering my 2015 GMC with 5" lift and heavy a$$ 12 ply ridge grapplers would do 14 with a 5.3 and 6 speed tranny. Is your popping noise coming from the swaybar links? a lot of people have traced front end noises to the front swaybar.

19reb

To be honest, I haven't even looked under the truck to see what may or may not be going on. I figure it's under full warranty and anything that goes wrong will be fixed. Probably wrong about this also as it's been proven to be untrue so far.

Right now I'm pretty serious about lemon lawing this truck. So anything I do to it can come back on me if they make a stink over it.

As far as I'm concerned, Chrysler has screwed every one of us over with these trucks. I have never had any of these problems in the past out of a RAM and I have no plans on continuing to have these problems.

There is absolutely no reason for one truck to get 20mpg and the truck sitting right next to it only able to get 11mpg. Especially when they are the exact same truck...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't even looked under the truck to see what may or may not be going on. I figure it's under full warranty and anything that goes wrong will be fixed. Probably wrong about this also as it's been proven to be untrue so far.

Right now I'm pretty serious about lemon lawing this truck. So anything I do to it can come back on me if they make a stink over it.

As far as I'm concerned, Chrysler has screwed every one of us over with these trucks. I have never had any of these problems in the past out of a RAM and I have no plans on continuing to have these problems.

There is absolutely no reason for one truck to get 20mpg and the truck sitting right next to it only able to get 11mpg. Especially when they are the exact same truck...
I agree, Ram needs to get their crap together on power trains ASAP. In my opinion they are lagging behind Ford and GM both in this area and you know for a fact both Ford and GM are putting together new interiors to compete with Ram in that regard its only a matter of a year or two and both their trucks will have the interior refreshed to compete, both have their luxury divisions so better materials and higher end better electronics are at their finger tips.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, Ram needs to get their crap together on power trains ASAP. In my opinion they are lagging behind Ford and GM both in this area and you know for a fact both Ford and GM are putting together new interiors to compete with Ram in that regard its only a matter of a year or two and both their trucks will have the interior refreshed to compete, both have their luxury divisions so better materials and higher end better electronics are at their finger tips.
I have a Limited, 3.21 4x4. I over-ride the MDS just about every time I put it into gear. My mileage is currently at 15.0 in town. It did drop to 13.9 when I towed my boat, but came back up within the week. MDS seemed to be kicking on a lot at 25-35 mph, and truck felt like it was working harder than it needed to at such a low speed. I think that this alone increases my fuel economy.

19reb

Listen, I'm not trying to stat yet another mileage thread and that wasn't my intention. But judging by the amount of threads this board does have about mileage it's hard to ignore there is a problem.

Are you guys hand calculating your mileage? I have to because my display is at the very least 2mpg off and that is to the negative. It displays 13*, but when hand calculated, it's 2mpg+ less than displayed.

If my truck had 3.21 gears and I was only getting 13-15mpg as displayed on the dash, I'd be pretty pissed! 3.21 gear with the 8HP75 is a highway gear and you should be cranking WAY more than 13-15mpg. Especially with the e-torque BS Chrysler wants everyone to believe is the next best thing since sliced bread...

Something else I want to bring up - I noticed the other day while driving the back hills in TN that my truck actually slows down while going DOWN HILL. I'm not talking about small hills either. It will actually come to a complete halt if I don't give it gas...

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Listen, I'm not trying to stat yet another mileage thread and that wasn't my intention. But judging by the amount of threads this board does have about mileage it's hard to ignore there is a problem.

Are you guys hand calculating your mileage? I have to because my display is at the very least 2mpg off and that is to the negative. It displays 13*, but when hand calculated, it's 2mpg+ less than displayed.

If my truck had 3.21 gears and I was only getting 13-15mpg as displayed on the dash, I'd be pretty pissed! 3.21 gear with the 8HP75 is a highway gear and you should be cranking WAY more than 13-15mpg. Especially with the e-torque BS Chrysler wants everyone to believe is the next best thing since sliced bread...

Something else I want to bring up - I noticed the other day while driving the back hills in TN that my truck actually slows down while going DOWN HILL. I'm not talking about small hills either. It will actually come to a complete halt if I don't give it gas...
Wow, unbelievable. I'd get a passenger, and have them make a video showing foot off gas, foot off brake, and truck coming to a stop while going downhill. Just keep collecting evidence. Something is dragging on the drivetrain. If it were brakes, I'd think you would smell it with that kind of drag. I'd get on that hill, and put it in neutral, see if you start rolling.

19reb

That's a good suggestion and I will do it.

As far as mileage goes, Chrysler isn't going to do anything about it unless they have enough owners calling RAM Cares and blowing up their phones. You need to call them and complain about it. Chrysler will do something to fix this if enough of us call and tell them we're walking away from Chrysler and going back to a previous brand.

They won't do anything if we don't do anything. CALL THEM - 1-800-247-9753

Users who are viewing this thread