5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parts Missing: Bed Utility Group?

tlowc34

Reaction score
Just took delivery on my custom ordered 2020 Laramie (woohoo!) with Ram Boxes and Bed Utility Group. Only one problem, the knobs to hold the bed divider as a tailgate extender were never installed, only cover panels (see attached).

The knobs were there on the 2018 I turned in. Is using the divider as a bed extender no longer an option? The divider still has the cutouts for the knobs.

Dealer wasn’t sure and didn’t know what to do about it.

Anybody have any ideas? @RamCares

Thanks,
Todd

Attachments

• E40B7C57-CBBE-4104-A440-B71E68563AA7.jpeg
    E40B7C57-CBBE-4104-A440-B71E68563AA7.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 8D6995F8-A803-419E-9FBD-B9EE1897C8E4.jpeg
    8D6995F8-A803-419E-9FBD-B9EE1897C8E4.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 75

tlowc34

Reaction score
It looks like I need:
(2) SWIVEL RELEASE - HANDLE 68054996AA
(2) PIVOT JOINT - GROMMET 68054997AB

tlowc34

Reaction score
After doing some more digging, I think I figured out what happened. The swivel release and pivot point parts appear in the 2018 parts list and schematic but do not appear in the 2020 parts list and schematic. My guess is this functionality was deprecated due to some liability/safety concern.

Edit - Just found it on a listing for the parts on ebay: "These parts were removed from DJ and DT, since the bed extender obstructs tail lamp visibility requirements at some angles. Installing these parts onto the 2019 or later DJ and DT trucks will violate lighting obstruction requirements."

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just took delivery on my custom ordered 2020 Laramie (woohoo!) with Ram Boxes and Bed Utility Group. Only one problem, the knobs to hold the bed divider as a tailgate extender were never installed, only cover panels (see attached).

The knobs were there on the 2018 I turned in. Is using the divider as a bed extender no longer an option? The divider still has the cutouts for the knobs.

Dealer wasn’t sure and didn’t know what to do about it.

Anybody have any ideas? @RamCares

Thanks,
Todd

Do a search on this. Discussed at length back in 2018 with parts lists and why it was dropped.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After doing some more digging, I think I figured out what happened. The swivel release and pivot point parts appear in the 2018 parts list and schematic but do not appear in the 2020 parts list and schematic. My guess is this functionality was deprecated due to some liability/safety concern.

Edit - Just found it on a listing for the parts on ebay: "These parts were removed from DJ and DT, since the bed extender obstructs tail lamp visibility requirements at some angles. Installing these parts onto the 2019 or later DJ and DT trucks will violate lighting obstruction requirements."

The light obstruction is not very much. Ever see a SUV with a hitch mounted bike carrier with 4 or 5 bikes on it...can't see those lights. :LOL:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went through this when I bought my 2020 Laramie. The parts guy was at a loss as to why he couldn't find the part numbers for those. I suggested he look for a 2018 instead, and those worked perfectly for me. The bed divider is unchanged from the 4th gens, so it all worked out. My only concern is that they will eventually stop installing the mounting points for those on future trucks, so there would be nothing to bolt them to if that happens. Something to think about for my next Ram if I opt for the rambox option again.

Users who are viewing this thread