5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Part number for MOPAR oil filter

Morenar

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2021 Ram 1500. After looking around I see the oil filter part number varies. What is the right Mopar part number for the 5.7 Hemi? I assume the filter has changed throughout the years possibly why so many different numbers.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The part is MO-339.

Here is my thread on my first oil change, check out my notes, I think it will be really helpful with your first oil change, especially with the notoriously hard to remove first oil filter.

Morenar

Reaction score
The part is MO-339.

Here is my thread on my first oil change, check out my notes, I think it will be really helpful with your first oil change, especially with the notoriously hard to remove first oil filter.

Thanks, that is the part number I was using but when I search with it I get several part numbers for example.

4892339AA​

4892339AC​

I think I even saw an AB as well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks, that is the part number I was using but when I search with it I get several part numbers for example.

4892339AA​

4892339AC​

I think I even saw an AB as well.

Yup, don't worry about that, just get the primary part number, MO-339. The one I got at Walmart for $10 had the exact same sub-partnumber as the one I took off. Though it shouldn't matter regardless.

Jako

Reaction score
The first oil change has been difficult for many because the filter is screwed on tight with limited access. I don't know if that has changed with the later produced Rams. I opted to have the dealer do my first oil change to avoid any potential problems/headaches.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The first oil change has been difficult for many because the filter is screwed on tight with limited access. I don't know if that has changed with the later produced Rams. I opted to have the dealer do my first oil change to avoid any potential problems/headaches.

It comes off easy if you get it up to temp, I helped a couple of locals doing their first oil change, they all came off easy if you get the oil temp around 200F. Which I believe you should do anyways before any oil change to get the most oil out.

If you do it cold, the original filter will be hard to remove.

Morenar

Reaction score
It comes off easy if you get it up to temp, I helped a couple of locals doing their first oil change, they all came off easy if you get the oil temp around 200F. Which I believe you should do anyways before any oil change to get the most oil out.

If you do it cold, the original filter will be hard to remove.
So I know you say get it up to temp to remove the filter but is the oil too hot that it would melt the ziploc bag?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I know you say get it up to temp to remove the filter but is the oil too hot that it would melt the ziploc bag?

Nope, just try to get your temp at around 200F before you start your oil change. By the time you get to the filter, the oil will be around 180F or so, which is below the bags melting point.

If you get to say 220F after shutdown, then maybe wait 15 minutes or so before you begin your change.

Morenar

Reaction score
What oil wrench worked well with removing the Mopar filter? Do the end cap filter remover work better?

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
See post 45 and 46, worked for me. I currently tightened the filter 3/4 -1 after contact and have been able to remove the filter without any difficulty. I reach from front of vehicle in addition from underneath and get 2 hands on the filter.

Additional reading FYI

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Morenar

Reaction score
This worked perfectly (after you get the truck up to temp)....

I purchased one just this afternoon but noticed the size for the one in the link above has a 2.875 to 3.25 (73 to 82.5 mm) range. The one I bought is the Lisle as well https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-swivel-gripper-57030/10550413-P but shows 3.5 - 3.875 (88.9 - 98.4mm) Range. Fits most popular 3.625" standard filters.
Did I get the wrong size wrench or will this work? I am waiting for the new filter to arrive if not I have to crawl underneath and test fit the wrench.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I purchased one just this afternoon but noticed the size for the one in the link above has a 2.875 to 3.25 (73 to 82.5 mm) range. The one I bought is the Lisle as well https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-swivel-gripper-57030/10550413-P but shows 3.5 - 3.875 (88.9 - 98.4mm) Range. Fits most popular 3.625" standard filters.
Did I get the wrong size wrench or will this work? I am waiting for the new filter to arrive if not I have to crawl underneath and test fit the wrench.

I bought 4 different wrenches for my first oil change to make sure I got the right one, including the larger Lisle wrench which was too big. The smaller one is perfect, it's a smaller filter than you think, especially if you are use to the larger Motorcraft or Mopar filters that come on 4.0L Jeeps.

Users who are viewing this thread