5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parksense/windshield/DASM Question

jbod77

Reaction score
I wad my windshield replaced sometime ago. After Safelite replaced the windshield with OEM glass and did a recalibration, FCW, and AutoPark don't work. I swear to God that the truck would apply brakes in forward as well as reverse. IE. parallel parking and you back up and it brakes before you tap the car behind you, pull forward and it brakes before you tap the car in front of you. Oddly enough, the Adaptive Cruise still works perfectly. Just had the truck calibrated at the dealer yesterday and they said everything is fine!! No Codes so we don't know what to fix and we aren't allowed to road test the FCW. {I get that part}Any ideas or am I just loosing my mind?? Does the DASM have to be in a certain position? Like maybe they screwed it up wrong?

Rick J

Reaction score
I wad my windshield replaced sometime ago. After Safelite replaced the windshield with OEM glass and did a recalibration, FCW, and AutoPark don't work. I swear to God that the truck would apply brakes in forward as well as reverse. IE. parallel parking and you back up and it brakes before you tap the car behind you, pull forward and it brakes before you tap the car in front of you. Oddly enough, the Adaptive Cruise still works perfectly. Just had the truck calibrated at the dealer yesterday and they said everything is fine!! No Codes so we don't know what to fix and we aren't allowed to road test the FCW. {I get that part}Any ideas or am I just loosing my mind?? Does the DASM have to be in a certain position? Like maybe they screwed it up wrong?
According to the owners manual:
The automatic braking function is intended to assist the driver in avoiding possible collisions with detected obstacles when backing up in REVERSE gear.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also applies the brakes in forward if the rig has it -- I turned mine off when I was running down the Interstate at 70MPH and the camera system saw a black patch repair... SLAMMED on the brakes, then was like, OH, NOTHING HERE, LET'S KEEP GOING .. everyone behind me thought I was brake checking them.

@jbod77 Yes - they were supposed to "re-align" the system / aka re-calibrate .. talk to your dealer and explain and see if they can do it without cost.

jbod77

Reaction score
Also applies the brakes in forward if the rig has it -- I turned mine off when I was running down the Interstate at 70MPH and the camera system saw a black patch repair... SLAMMED on the brakes, then was like, OH, NOTHING HERE, LET'S KEEP GOING .. everyone behind me thought I was brake checking them.

@jbod77 Yes - they were supposed to "re-align" the system / aka re-calibrate .. talk to your dealer and explain and see if they can do it without cost.
they did a re calibrate already and it's still not working. prior to the recal, it was showing a code, now it doesn't so they're telling me its good to go but it doesn't work. I'm wondering if the actual unit itself behind the rearview mirror is out of alignment like physically not right

Rick J

Reaction score

Your are referring to Forward Collision Warning and Mitigation, not park sense. It's all in the owners manual.

 PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST .....359
The automatic braking function is intended to assist the
driver in avoiding possible collisions with detected obstacles
when backing up in REVERSE gear.

Forward Collision Warning ..................................................219
The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system provides the
driver with audible, visual warnings (within the instrument
cluster display), and may apply a haptic warning in the form
of a brake jerk, to warn the driver when it detects a potential
frontal collision. The warnings are intended to provide the
driver with enough time to react, avoid or mitigate the
potential collision.
If the driver does not take action based upon these progressive
warnings, then the system will provide a limited level of
active braking to help slow the vehicle and mitigate the
potential forward collision.

I've had forward collision braking save my bacon once. I've also had it apply the brakes when it shouldn't, like when the car in front of me in turning into a driveway and will be well out of my way. I've changed the setting to near and haven't had the false braking since. I haven't had the false braking on the freeway like some have encountered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread