5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking

jkm312

Reaction score
That is what I'm missing and can't seem to hit. So lets say you are backing into a spot on your left, you're already as far right as you should be, what part of the truck are you lining up and to where on the parking spot?

Edited to make it clear...sorry.
I watch the left rear wheel and the rear corner of the bed. Glance at the right mirror to make sure the clearance is there. As long as the space is reasonably big enough, the left side will take care of the right side. The surround camera helps give you the overview, but the nitty gritty is in the mirrors for me. Another trick I use is paying attention to the painted line on the pavement that lines up the parking rows, where that line falls on the bottom of the mirror support as you are sitting in the drivers seat. It falls in different places on the mirror housing depending on if you are in a angled parking space or one you pull straight into. It just takes some time, practice, experience and patience with yourself. You will get there.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I've found it generally easy to park except for what everyone is saying--when you're trying to park between two cars by pulling in forwards. Parallel parking has been surprisingly easy, even in tight spots. I do check the surround view camera once parked to see if I'm centered in the space, though.

I've got the Auto Park but always forget its there and have never tried it. It would be nice if it were foolproof, then I wouldn't care if my wife was parking it.

All that said, because of other people I usually park pretty far away from the other cars if the option exists.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I back in and use my mirrors and use the camera only to finish the parking against hedges, curbs, another vehicle, etc. I agree that the camera will show you perfectly parallel between the lines, but the curb behind looks closer on the driver side, or that you're angled. I think the rake of the truck also can throw you off when using the mirrors. If you try to align the truck to the parking lines, using the mirrors, you will be crooked because the vehicle isn't level.

cerbo

Reaction score
Perfect for door ding avoidance, but it will probably trigger a parking lot Karen. Hard to believe you can park like that on the back 40 and some Karen keys your truck.
LOL, it was an empty lot in that area, I was eating my lunch and smoking a cigar on the gate. You're right, I d never do that and walk away, LOL.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is normally how I get parked straight and avoid door dings.

I've had passengers say, "What was wrong with that spot? What about that spot, or that spot?" as I drive past them.

View attachment 182963

I would park in the last spot on the left, halfway into the white diagonal lines. If you ride with me to the store, you're going to walk.

mzflorida

Reaction score
Yes it is, first time it almost backed me into a car that was already parked in the spot.
I've only had it pick up a spot to detect once, though I've only used it a few times. Tried again today and it would not pick any spots up at all.

mzflorida

Reaction score
I would park in the last spot on the left, halfway into the white diagonal lines. If you ride with me to the store, you're going to walk.
I do the same thing. I fix dings or call the paintless dent guy If I cannot. Saves me time and money in the end.

aprez

Reaction score
I've only had it pick up a spot to detect once, though I've only used it a few times. Tried again today and it would not pick any spots up at all.
Yeah, I just used it out of curiosity and it worked once and didn't work once.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Several great ideas were presented.
The best Idea/solution is to find an empty parking lot with lots of space, perhaps after business hours. Practice using your mirrors as there is the potential the camera(s) will/can fail. Practice in daylight and progressive darkness. Your external mirrors will always function until they become electronic. Get "markers" and carry them with you to the practice field. (recommend something that is flexible/soft and or easily moved (traffic cones/very light cheap outdoor furniture)). Place your markers in the back corners of your target spot/area so that you can see the markers in the mirrors. Have a spotter (second person) to help guide you at the start of the practice session. When you start making your approaches and they are wrong (it's ok) stop and get out and look at the truck vs. markers and then compare that information with your information/visual information in your mirrors. As you get better use less and less spotter input and start to rely on your markers. Then finally practice using the markings on the pavement and or other items that will not move during parking.
As a person who has driven/taught several people how to drive oversized emergency vehicles (aka fire trucks/ambulances) that do not have all the fancy cameras and sensors as aides) this works but can be time-consuming. But the results will be very rewarding.
To that end, a careful selection of an open spot is worthwhile mentioning. I too like to park way away from the door/entrance as noted in a previous picture.
I prefer to take up 2 spots front to back as these trucks do not fit well in a standard-length spot (when possible and or polite.) I hate to hang out beyond the length of other cars/trucks. Plus it gives me room to drop my tailgate to load/unload the bed.

BlueHemi1500

rick619

Reaction score
Agree with backing in unless you absolutely have a straight shot into a space. The longer the vehicle, the more backing in makes sense. I only use the camera to spot where my rear end stops. Otherwise use the mirrors or open the window and watch where my wheels are lining up.

Also look for a spot that is empy on at least one side. Otherwise, I'll park as far away as needed like many above.

Users who are viewing this thread