5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking Brake Won't Release

jakedvm

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn 5.7L Hemi, Crewcab
So tonight I start the truck as usual and try to release the parking brake but it won't release. The BRAKE light is flashing and the Parking Brake light is also on. I tried turning on and off. Tried putting it in gear both reverse and drive. Nothing. Tried to manually release - nothing. After not getting anywhere I disconnected the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. I started it up and the parking brake seemed to work properly. But I don't have to the option for the auto parking brake feature anymore. And now I don't have a reverse camera anymore - nowhere to be found. My Entire UConnect UI is different. I also cannot get my AC to work properly. I cannot adjust the AC - it goes to either hot or cold - no temperature settings. It only blows very hot air.
It's as if it was reset to a lower trim level or older version???
Anyone have anything similar happen? Another trip to the dealer - 3 times for only 12,000 miles.

Also, the passenger side of the body now makes a creaking sound - worse after it rains. No leaks but definitely like creaking floor boards - mostly when going slow over diagonal bumps or driveways.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So tonight I start the truck as usual and try to release the parking brake but it won't release. The BRAKE light is flashing and the Parking Brake light is also on. I tried turning on and off. Tried putting it in gear both reverse and drive. Nothing. Tried to manually release - nothing. After not getting anywhere I disconnected the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. I started it up and the parking brake seemed to work properly. But I don't have to the option for the auto parking brake feature anymore. And now I don't have a reverse camera anymore - nowhere to be found. My Entire UConnect UI is different. I also cannot get my AC to work properly. I cannot adjust the AC - it goes to either hot or cold - no temperature settings. It only blows very hot air.
Anyone have anything similar happen? Another trip to the dealer - 3 times for only 12,000 miles.

Also, the passenger side of the body now makes a creaking sound - worse after it rains. No leaks but definitely like creaking floor boards - mostly when going slow over diagonal bumps or driveways.

You will obviously have to take it to the dealer. I know it’s a pain.
You said it will be the 3rd visit to the dealer, were the issues resolved?
There are so many mechanical parts and more, more and more new electronically operated features in today’s vehicles, so it is understandable that your dealer will have to get involved to diagnose that type of problem

What I do, if it can wait, I get the small issues looked at when the truck is in for an oil change, could save you a trip.

Hopefully your dealer will fix the issue ASAP.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uconnect features will restore after some time, if they aren’t all back within 24 hours I’d book an appointment with your dealer.

I’d still book one anyways to see why the parking brake wouldn’t release, and for the creaking sounds.

I turned off the auto parking brake feature but I still hear them kick on from time to time.

jakedvm

Reaction score
So today everything is back to normal! Still didn’t take it on our trip today though. Calling dealer to get it checked out and also the creaking.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So today everything is back to normal! Still didn’t take it on our trip today though. Calling dealer to get it checked out and also the creaking.
whenever you disconnect a battery this is what can happen. It takes a little time for a full reset of features. Doesn't explain the original park brake issue, but explains the rest.

cybersmith

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info. I went to a gas station, filled up, got back into the Ram (2022) to leave, and the parking brake wouldn't disengage. After looking through the owner's manual, I tried telling the system to disengage for brakes for services but it said the brake service wasn't available. Finally disconnected the negative battery terminal for 3 minutes and that did the trick!

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_230549815~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_230549815~2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20231222_231056653~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_231056653~2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20231222_231108242~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_231108242~2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20231222_231201606~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_231201606~2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 14

barrak

Reaction score

That happened to me once on a Subaru after a brake job at the dealer; Intermittent parking brake operation. Traced that one to the EPB actuator's electric plug. It was dirty and loose. Cleaned it up, put dielectric grease and zip-tied it. Last time any of my vehicles saw the dealers (or other shops) except for warranty work and recalls.

Worth checking those connectors on your truck. It can happen to other systems as well. Someone on this forum reported dirty/loose plug-related intermittent starter operation as well.

Users who are viewing this thread