5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parasitic current drain

captmiguel

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 etorque, that is draining the battery, I have replaced the battery twice already and check the current draw at 3.5 amps sometimes at 6 amps, any idea what is causing it?

DeanM2

Reaction score
No idea. But I would suggest that you start pulling fuses, to find out. Pull a bunch of fuses for everything that is not "critical", and monitor current drain. If it stops, put back in some fuses, and keep monitoring it for current draw. Keep doing this until you find "the" fuse that is causing the current drain.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 etorque, that is draining the battery, I have replaced the battery twice already and check the current draw at 3.5 amps sometimes at 6 amps, any idea what is causing it?
That is very high. There are things that will always draw, but it should be way less than an amp. Check things like glove box light, or any other light that may be switched on accidentally.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No e-torque here but had my truck draw 1.5 to 3 amps and ramping up to 8 or so.
Turned out to be a poor ground connection at the fender, next to the hood hinge.

edit: I should say that after cleaning the connection the problem went away.
edit2: quiescent current draw should be below 50 milliamps.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No idea. But I would suggest that you start pulling fuses, to find out. Pull a bunch of fuses for everything that is not "critical", and monitor current drain. If it stops, put back in some fuses, and keep monitoring it for current draw. Keep doing this until you find "the" fuse that is causing the current drain.
I tried that till blue in the face.
Every time you pull a fuse, some of the systems shut down, an automatic drop in current draw, wonderful, not.
You stick the fuse back in, modules power up and poll the CAN Bus looking for their buddies.
Now we are back to drawing several amps. till everything is happy and the truck decides to go to sleep, could take up to 30 minutes or so.

Users who are viewing this thread