5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pano sunroof headliner rattles - DIY fixes inside

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Decided today's quarantine project would be tacking my headliner rattles. Most of this info I've gathered from various posts, so I put together my own fixed off my learnings of what I found on my particular truck.

First - the big rattle. passenger side, rear seat, the speaker - if you bump the speaker grill with your hand, you hear a definite rattle from above.
Fix - open sunroof shade, and grab headliner around opening - there are 3 Velcro along the back, 4 on the left, 4 on right, and 4 along front.
Pull down firm but steady to pop the velcro. Then with. flashlight, above the speaker, you can see a black wire holder with various shark fin antenna connectors - there wire holder has a Christmas-tree type fastener than is suppose to go into a hold in the roof sheetmetal to hold it in place. my truck, the connector was literally bouncing on the speaker. my arm was barely able to jam back there and finagle it and snap it in to the hole. rattle gone. I did bow/bend the headliner from jamming my arm in there and pulling down, but I discovered the area around the headliner opening, where it bend, is actually metal under the cloth..so I was able to bow it back straight, and snap the velcro back..viola!

BUT FIRST ! I decided to take all 15-velcro headliner black clips out (they slide out, they are 1" square). Then, I put some misc. peel and stick foam weatherstrip, I think its 1/4 or 3/8 I had laying around..I stuck 2 pieces to the back of each clip..then slid them back into the headliner..then pushed up to hold the headliner up tight so the velcro would re-stick. Test ride, and wow! 1.5 years later, finally no rattles!!

Pic shows foam stuck to clips.
Pic shows the black wire holder rattling above speaker.

Attachments

• IMG_6074.JPG
    IMG_6074.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.31.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.31.06 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Decided today's quarantine project would be tacking my headliner rattles. Most of this info I've gathered from various posts, so I put together my own fixed off my learnings of what I found on my particular truck.

First - the big rattle. passenger side, rear seat, the speaker - if you bump the speaker grill with your hand, you hear a definite rattle from above.
Fix - open sunroof shade, and grab headliner around opening - there are 3 Velcro along the back, 4 on the left, 4 on right, and 4 along front.
Pull down firm but steady to pop the velcro. Then with. flashlight, above the speaker, you can see a black wire holder with various shark fin antenna connectors - there wire holder has a Christmas-tree type fastener than is suppose to go into a hold in the roof sheetmetal to hold it in place. my truck, the connector was literally bouncing on the speaker. my arm was barely able to jam back there and finagle it and snap it in to the hole. rattle gone. I did bow/bend the headliner from jamming my arm in there and pulling down, but I discovered the area around the headliner opening, where it bend, is actually metal under the cloth..so I was able to bow it back straight, and snap the velcro back..viola!

BUT FIRST ! I decided to take all 15-velcro headliner black clips out (they slide out, they are 1" square). Then, I put some misc. peel and stick foam weatherstrip, I think its 1/4 or 3/8 I had laying around..I stuck 2 pieces to the back of each clip..then slid them back into the headliner..then pushed up to hold the headliner up tight so the velcro would re-stick. Test ride, and wow! 1.5 years later, finally no rattles!!

Pic shows foam stuck to clips.
Pic shows the black wire holder rattling above speaker.
I am going to have to get up in my headliner fo a rattle in that same passenger rear area you mentioned so I appreciate your tips. I'll let you know if I am find the connector not attached into the roof.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am going to have to get up in my headliner fo a rattle in that same passenger rear area you mentioned so I appreciate your tips. I'll let you know if I am find the connector not attached into the roof.
If you pop the 3 rear Velcro’s around the sunroof opening, it will bow down enough for you to peer in with a flashlight. You’ll have to pop the rest of the Velcro’s to jam
Your arm in there though.

Reactions: Jtr

Users who are viewing this thread