5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting milled aluminum rims

AlbertaRam

Reaction score
Hi all, kind of a left field question but I have a set of 20” fuel blitz rims. They were on the truck when I got it, but the truck is a night edition and the rims have the milled aluminum accents. It’s reached the point where it’s bugging me and I want the rims all black or at perhaps black with the super dark metallic instead of aluminum. So I’m thinking of trying to paint the accents.

my initial plan is to tape the black, then scuff the aluminum accents, clean them spray with gloss black, then clear. Since I can’t find a reference from fuel about paint spec, I’m gonna pick up a bunch of different blacks and go with the closest.

Any tips, tricks or horror stories before I start? 39F2FA9D-8403-41C6-A195-AA06554CA3ED.jpeg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They’re clear coated, so you’re fine with scuffing lightly and spraying. I would advise to prep thoroughly and use a paint that can withstand heat cycles and the elements, like Duplicolor wheel coating.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
f8e433aba25415668203d670938cf9f4.jpg

Just sent my Fuel Avengers to the paint shop to have the milled accents color matched in Hydro Blue …. They are doing factory base coat/clear coat …. They will go on when Spring comes to NE OH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaFlame

Reaction score
I am also interested in painting the accents on my wheels. If I may ask, what did you pay to have that done?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am also interested in painting the accents on my wheels. If I may ask, what did you pay to have that done?

$600 and 27 rolls of masking tape … Lol …. The pic above is just photoshop …. They should be done in a couple weeks …. I’ll post a pic when I get em back

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$600 and 27 rolls of masking tape … Lol …. The pic above is just photoshop …. They should be done in a couple weeks …. I’ll post a pic when I get em back

That’s a pretty good price!

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
055c1ac64ee6ebc55ec8e79f47e39df8.jpg

Got em Friday …. Damn happy how they turned out !!!

Users who are viewing this thread