5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint

Beastram

Reaction score
Paint has anybody noticed there are paint job has a little bit of orange peel look to it on a certain angle ?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im actually happy with mine. It needs a bit of correction but is actually better than most other brands Ive seen.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paint has anybody noticed there are paint job has a little bit of orange peel look to it on a certain angle ?
Yes, it does stand out, particularly on FCA vehicles. I’ve noticed this since working at a Chrysler dealership in the early ‘90s. My wife immediately noticed this on the new Ram when we went for a test drive. Her Audi and my MINI (our most recent new vehicles) have much smoother finishes. I’d be concerned if this wasn’t always the case with FCA vehicles.

Neocane

Reaction score
What exactly is the “orange peel” you guys are talking about? A bumpy surface or what?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It will resemble the very small flat spots that are present on an orange peel. Mine has it too.

Kaydee

Reaction score
Yes .I noticed on all the new rams a little bit less of the glass looking clearcoat and more of an unsmooth look but not really orangepeel as such...maybe the newer waterbourne paints

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Saw some at the dealer that had it pretty bad IMHO, luckily mine is good enough and I am picky,

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Are there any colors that show the orange peel more than others?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes .I noticed on all the new rams a little bit less of the glass looking clearcoat and more of an unsmooth look but not really orangepeel as such...maybe the newer waterbourne paints
I've been thinking that it's the combination of this and the specific choice of equipment that Ram / FCA uses on their production lines. This obviously wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but it is something you'll notice if looking for it.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
My F150 actually had decent paint

View attachment 2046
Once I get back to Florida, I'll try to remember to take the same picture with the Ram. After I take some time to clay and polish it. That's all that was done to the Ford.
That is one heck of a shiny truck. Careful so you don't get sunburn on your head from the reflection.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure I have a picture of my F150 like this somewhere, but Blue Flame wasn't nearly as deep as the Delmonico Red is.

Hasn't been polished. I threw some NuFinish on a few weeks ago and she went thru the automatic car wash yesterday. I'm very happy with RAMs paint.

iXnDYyf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread