5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Transfer

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just noticed this gem on my new RAM.

PXL_20220104_235803958.MP.jpg

Tried Goo Gone and clay with no effect. Tomorrow, going to try some Meguiars 205 by hand, then with the DA if that doesn't get it.

Is there something else that would be less abrasive that I should try first?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s paint transfer, lacquer thinner on a blue shop rag should do it, just wash and wax afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's pretty light-moderate, and looks it in the photos, my go to is Meguiar's Clearer Wax. $5 at Walmart of most other places.

I prefer the paste wax formulation for this, but honestly liquid works just as well. Use a clean microfiber towel and liberally rub it on each mark, use some elbow grease, it takes about 20-30 seconds of constant rubbing, but sometimes more, but if it's paint transfer or a light scuff on the clearcoat, it will go away with this method most of the time.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s paint transfer, lacquer thinner on a blue shop rag should do it, just wash and wax afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Try a clay bar. I’ve had luck with something similar.

Tried clay bar, but it didn't take anything off.

If it's pretty light-moderate, and looks it in the photos, my go to is Meguiar's Clearer Wax. $5 at Walmart of most other places.

I prefer the paste wax formulation for this, but honestly liquid works just as well. Use a clean microfiber towel and liberally rub it on each mark, use some elbow grease, it takes about 20-30 seconds of constant rubbing, but sometimes more, but if it's paint transfer or a light scuff on the clearcoat, it will go away with this method most of the time.

This stuff? If so, I have some out in the garage and will give that a try. Hoping to work from least aggressive.

91YFAceVuCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

397STROKER

Reaction score
Could also try the Mr. Clean eraser. It works for a lot of things. You can also try Meguiar's fine cut compound by hand.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This stuff? If so, I have some out in the garage and will give that a try. Hoping to work from least aggressive.

91YFAceVuCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yup, that's it. It's a cleaner wax with no abrasion I believe, it's primarily a filler of micro scratches and a surface cleaner, but unlike most cleaners, it leaves a wax instead of stripping it. It's honestly the lazy-man's all purpose wax, polish, cleaner, scratch remover. If you check out the Amazon reviews of the link you posted, it's a very well reviewed product by a large user base.

I use it to spot remove minor scuffs and minor surface scratches, I've had the same tin for about 10 years and just recently used it to remove some scratches on our Toyota, it still worked great. Just make sure to use a fresh mirofiber or a very clean one so you don't actually make more scratches by rubbing the surface. Remember it will take some elbow grease, just a few seconds won't cut it, but I usually get it done with 20-30 seconds of rubbing.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, that's it. It's a cleaner wax with no abrasion I believe, it's primarily a filler of micro scratches and a surface cleaner, but unlike most cleaners, it leaves a wax instead of stripping it. It's honestly the lazy-man's all purpose wax, polish, cleaner, scratch remover. If you check out the Amazon reviews of the link you posted, it's a very well reviewed product by a large user base.

I use it to spot remove minor scuffs and minor surface scratches, I've had the same tin for about 10 years and just recently used it to remove some scratches on our Toyota, it still worked great. Just make sure to use a fresh mirofiber or a very clean one so you don't actually make more scratches by rubbing the surface. Remember it will take some elbow grease, just a few seconds won't cut it, but I usually get it done with 20-30 seconds of rubbing.

That did the trick!

Man, I've had this on my shelf for probably about 10 years as well, and probably haven't used it in close to that long.

Appreciate the suggestion!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That did the trick!

Man, I've had this on my shelf for probably about 10 years as well, and probably haven't used it in close to that long.

Appreciate the suggestion!

Absolutely, I knew it would work well for you. The only thing it can't do is a very deep scratch, but it does a descent job in cleaning those up at least. I mostly use quick-spray ceramic waxes these days since it only takes a few minutes and works on all exterior surfaces, but that's only for protection. When you need to take out a minor scuff or scratch, these classic cleaner waxes still come in really handy.

Also works well on non-car stuff, like the top of my snowboards in cleaning up snow stained surfaces and leaving a nice protective shine.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, I knew it would work well for you. The only thing it can't do is a very deep scratch, but it does a descent job in cleaning those up at least. I mostly use quick-spray ceramic waxes these days since it only takes a few minutes and works on all exterior surfaces, but that's only for protection. When you need to take out a minor scuff or scratch, these classic cleaner waxes still come in really handy.

Also works well on non-car stuff, like the top of my snowboards in cleaning up snow stained surfaces and leaving a nice protective shine.

Yeah, I forgot I even had it. I've been doing a wash, decon if needed, and Meguiar's Quik Wax for years.

Just grabbed Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic to see how I like that for the RAM.

Burnzie

Reaction score
That's why I park at the opposite end of the parking lot, drives my wife nuts but......

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I park at the opposite end of the parking lot, drives my wife nuts but......
I usually do, too. I don't think we parked anywhere but the gas station until it was in my garage, so not sure where it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread