5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Quality

Leney

Reaction score
Just a small rant here over the paint quality on my new truck.
Black ram sport, bought it in December of 2018.
About a month later we bought a new Kia Sorento ex premium, also in black.

I know black is the worst color for scratchs, and there are plenty of posts on here about different treatments including different waxs/ceramic coatings.
If my truck even glances at a speck of sand or a tiny branch from a bush touches it, I have a new scratch.

The wife's kia still looks like the day it rolled off the lot.
Pretty ridiculous that an offshore Korean car of half the price is such a better quality.

Is this a known issue between domestic and off shore? It's got me worked up pretty good.
*rant ended*

Clean19

Reaction score
Paint varies by manufacture. You're not wrong though. My front bumper looks like I went to Moab or something.. a dozen chips and its 7 weeks old..

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I know black is the worst color for scratchs, and there are plenty of posts on here about different treatments including different waxs/ceramic coatings.
If my truck even glances at a speck of sand or a tiny branch from a bush touches it, I have a new scratch.

Pretty ridiculous that an offshore Korean car of half the price is such a better quality.

Is this a known issue between domestic and off shore? It's got me worked up pretty good.
*rant ended*
And she drives her Kia under the same conditions and to the same areas you drive your truck? Plus your truck is a hell of a lot bigger target for all the nasty stuff that can happen to a vehicle.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paint is doing fine on mine. 11,800 miles on it. One chip on the hood from road debris.

20190616_125338.jpg

This picture was taken about a week ago. The truck sits outside 24/7.

Oh yeah, I'm obviously not in Florida right now. This are Michigan Oaks in the background. Can't wait to be back around palm trees.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My black seems to be holding up well after 10 months and 11,000 miles. I have only found one tiny mark on the front of the hood just past the PPF, should of had it brought up further on the hood.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Proper washing technique is a must with black vehicles. Invest in some high quality microfibers and wash mitts and YouTube two bucket wash method. I've owned 3 black cars and they were all spotless. 2 of them were FCA products. Don't even lean or even touch the truck if you can avoid it. All of those things will induce swirl marks/marring.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally waxed mine the other day so I noticed some small chips I guess from rocks in the front bumper :mad:

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just pick your color!
*PAINT-TOUCHUPBRUSHLAU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DP7JUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2plhDbYPXNNA9

I also got a decent sized rock chip in my door so I am going to try and hit it with some Bondo putty/gel first to fill it in and the hitnit with the paint stick.
Just pick your color!
*PAINT-TOUCHUPBRUSHLAU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DP7JUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2plhDbYPXNNA9

I also got a decent sized rock chip in my door so I am going to try and hit it with some Bondo putty/gel first to fill it in and the hitnit with the paint stick.
Don't mess with bondo... Have a PDR guy take care of the dent. Many can take care of the paint, too.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't mess with bondo... Have a PDR guy take care of the dent. Many can take care of the paint, too.

It’s not a dent it’s a chip, right down to the silver. If it was a big area I definitely wouldn't play with it. I wanted to mess with this as a little project/experiment. Using a touch up paint stick for tiny scratches/chips is easy but you’re right the bondo is definitely a lot trickier, especially larger areas. I figure if I mess up this tiny chip I can always have it taken somewhere and done correctly. YMMV

Last edited:

thabiiighomie

Reaction score

*rant ended*
I have the white sport appearance package, so an all-white grille. After 200 miles (bought at 8 miles), I have 6 chips beyond the clear coat into the paint. Basically black holes that will eventually rust. I had my detailer use some touch up paint and I tried to keep it off of the highway (I usually avoid being behind semis anyway) until my July 1st appointment for paint correction, ceramic coating and paint protection film. $5,500 later, I no longer have to worry about how cheap and thin this truck’s clear coat it. Although the rear bumper still bothers me a ton. The surface facing the sky that wraps around both sides of the vehicle is spotty/blotchy. Lots of cheap paint on these $60,000 trucks. Might be government regulations on hazardous waste that paint causes or just “cost effective” cheap paint and clear coats.

stroker3838

Reaction score
i have had to have both box side and both rear flares painted due to road debris blasting the paint right off and they installed plastic chip guard on front edge of flares and on the bottom front lower box up to style line. it seems like the clear is so soft, never had this concern with my 16.

RamLife

Reaction score
i have had to have both box side and both rear flares painted due to road debris blasting the paint right off and they installed plastic chip guard on front edge of flares and on the bottom front lower box up to style line. it seems like the clear is so soft, never had this concern with my 16.
Did you pay to get it repainted or did dodge pay?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of that?

I had paint protection film applied to the rocker panels and bottom portion of each door across the entire sides of the vehicle up to that styling point you are referring to. Also had custom pieces made to cover the portion where fender flares would exist. I am not a fan of the OEM fender flares, but I am also not a fan of sh**y paint lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread