5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Protection

dmodem

Reaction score
After getting warm enough weather to hand wash my black limited yesterday, I was dismayed to see the horrible amount paint chips on the lower front portion of the bed and wheel well trim after only 4500 miles with mud flaps installed. I know previous trucks I've owned came with film protection over that portion, and I'm disheartened that Ram did nothing during the manufacturing process to protect that vulnerable area.

Laramie81

Reaction score
This is a horrible problem and I’m quite dismayed to say mine looks terrible after only 1300 miles. Simple film protection from the factory or dealer would have solved this. If I had known this would happen I would have added it myself. We’re not the only ones. It seems any truck without fixed steps has this issue.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of the area(s) in question? I've seen where folks had the plastic wheelhousing trim get chipped up in short order, and it seems having non-folding side steps keep it from occurring. Not that this justifies it for happening, though.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
It's definitely worth getting some paint protection film... I had Xpel installed 3 days after I purchased my truck. It might be on the expensive side but it's definitely worth it!!!

Laramie81

Reaction score
This is at only 1300 miles. Just going to get worse unfortunately. It’s the one and only disappointing part of my truck. I don’t know how to tag RamCares in this. Maybe they could help?

Attachments

• B5CDE5D2-C8CE-4C97-8820-DE8D15928B5B.jpeg
    B5CDE5D2-C8CE-4C97-8820-DE8D15928B5B.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 90

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's definitely worth getting some paint protection film... I had Xpel installed 3 days after I purchased my truck. It might be on the expensive side but it's definitely worth it!!!
Wow this stuff is expensive.... Im doing the entire front...both rocker panels the length of truck and door protection for $1900...Maybe Jersey is more expensive??

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Wow this stuff is expensive.... Im doing the entire front...both rocker panels the length of truck and door protection for $1900...Maybe Jersey is more expensive??

Yes Xpel was $1800 for me.. Entire front including hood, rockers and lower doors, entire flares and a little amount around the rear bumper.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes Xpel was $1800 for me.. Entire front including hood, rockers and lower doors, entire flares and a little amount around the rear bumper.
WOW...you got a better deal than me...Im not doing the hood. Now I feel like Im getting ripped off but hes the only certified Xpel installer thats around me

Hym8nce

Reaction score
I only have 1500 miles on my and my front bumper it totally chipped as well. I am in the same boat if id know i would have done the paint protection. I guess i will have to paint the bumper and then do it. Never had this happen before my Ram. we live and learn i guess. Still love my truck!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only have 1500 miles on my and my front bumper it totally chipped as well. I am in the same boat if id know i would have done the paint protection. I guess i will have to paint the bumper and then do it. Never had this happen before my Ram. we live and learn i guess. Still love my truck!
Yes...Im second guessing getting the painted bumpers!

Users who are viewing this thread