5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Problems

Maverick

Reaction score
Well, I live on gravel roads. And I frequently travel to off-road parks to ride ATVs where there is sand, dust, and grit in the air all weekend. And I have aftermarket wheels that stick out 3/4" farther than stock with mud tires. I have zero issues with the paint. Very first thing I did was install the OE style fender flares to protect the lips of the wheel wells, and rubber mud flaps to protect the rocker panels and area near the rear bumper. I don't have any issues.

Last month I did a concrete job and in a STUPID move I mixed the concrete at the rear of the truck so that I could just roll the bags of cement mix off the tailgate into the mixer. Ended up with splatter of concrete mix all over my tailgate and rear bumper that dried hard and solid and wasn't noticed until a few days later due to all the dust and dirt on the truck. I scraped it, no luck. Washed it with a sponge, no luck. Used chemicals, no luck. Finally tried vinegar and a brush and was able to get all the concrete splatter off the paint. Looking at the truck now, you can't even tell it ever happened.

In my opinion the paint is great on these trucks and the clearcoat is thick. I'm happy with it.
I am not even sure if my truck has seen a dirty road. Beautiful truck you have there. That is my favourite color. Happy to hear you haven't had any paint issues. Both my previous trucks did not either. My Laramie was near mint when I traded it. The dealer was happy to get it.

NFL0109

Reaction score
I am deeply sorry to hear of your situation, Maverick. Please do not hesitate to send over additional details via private message so that we may try and look into this further to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares
I have a 2019 ram 1500 this is my first ram I bought it less then a year ago has about 12k miles I took this thing up north one weekend for deer hunting and I got back and cleaned it and I have about 6-8 chips through the clear coat and the paint! I have never had this happen to any other of my vehicles in the past like this... I’ve had 3 F150 Audi and bmw Honda Civic... I called my dealer I bought it from and they said I can bring it in for photos but she was basically saying since it’s chips they aren’t really responsible for it. There is no way a 68,000 truck with in a year should chip this bad! Did ram go with some cheap clear coat or didn’t apply a thick enough coat? If ram won’t fix this issue and or apply better clear coat on this think I will never by a ram, dodge or jeep product again. I only switch do to all the changes to the interior... if the thing keeps chipping like this I won’t have this truck for long. This is ridiculous my Ford’s had maybe one or two chips that would have came close to the ones these are occurring on my truck but that after 5-6 years of driving. I’m the guy that parks in the back lot and back my truck into a park stall to keep away from other vehicles. I keep my truck clean it’s not use as a truck... I don’t do truck things I don’t drive on gravel... there is no way this should have happen this quickly... I can see if this happens a few years in but one trip north should not cause this... I work on a fire department we literally have a fleet of dodge rams in our parking lot and no one else has this issue but no one else has a 2019... did they use some crap clear coat?

I had an oil change and I am about half way through before I suppose to get my next one and I didn’t have these chips before then. When we did our walk around or I would have said something then.

also I know my truck is black and it’s going to show any little scratch and such I know that but there has to be something wrong with this clear coat...

I inserted more photos of the chips I’m not the best with photos I know some maybe blurry.

Attachments

• 2E6899FE-9E2A-49AA-A883-67A3DCE2830F.jpeg
    2E6899FE-9E2A-49AA-A883-67A3DCE2830F.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 57
  • A2C0AB14-B674-441B-8B72-08D0F34BFBA4.jpeg
    A2C0AB14-B674-441B-8B72-08D0F34BFBA4.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 3774E10E-A7BB-44C2-8AA2-B8E8E360342E.jpeg
    3774E10E-A7BB-44C2-8AA2-B8E8E360342E.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 52487D1D-EBFB-4B74-B981-50E1015FA690.jpeg
    52487D1D-EBFB-4B74-B981-50E1015FA690.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 82AA0DBA-5936-46CA-A54E-372FF1D05645.jpeg
    82AA0DBA-5936-46CA-A54E-372FF1D05645.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 4373F194-D017-4318-949C-C93D9C335032.jpeg
    4373F194-D017-4318-949C-C93D9C335032.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1895D497-F7C6-41A7-BEC2-5E3033B6A6C3.jpeg
    1895D497-F7C6-41A7-BEC2-5E3033B6A6C3.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 47
  • F24F8620-F98D-4032-9ED3-D23C0BBE279E.jpeg
    F24F8620-F98D-4032-9ED3-D23C0BBE279E.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 46
  • FAEDCA3C-AEC0-4E1B-9ECC-8CC630F9ECC8.jpeg
    FAEDCA3C-AEC0-4E1B-9ECC-8CC630F9ECC8.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 6B7FCFF7-3D0F-4720-BB5D-70FAE3F45107.jpeg
    6B7FCFF7-3D0F-4720-BB5D-70FAE3F45107.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure what the cost of the truck has to do with anything but 1" thick clear coat isn't going to last against rock or prevent chips.
Just because previous vehicles didn't suffer rock chips doesn't mean there's something wrong with the paint, it means you were driving somewhere or at a time ideal for rock chips.
If you don't wont rock chips on a new vehicle, regardless of cost or make, get PPF installed ASAP, this isn't going to be a warranty issue

NFL0109

Reaction score
Not sure what the cost of the truck has to do with anything but 1" thick clear coat isn't going to last against rock or prevent chips.
Just because previous vehicles didn't suffer rock chips doesn't mean there's something wrong with the paint, it means you were driving somewhere or at a time ideal for rock chips.
If you don't wont rock chips on a new vehicle, regardless of cost or make, get PPF installed ASAP, this isn't going to be a warranty issue
There’s no way one trip 8 hours of driving should do something like this. I live about 4 miles from my house to work. I don’t drive behind semi or any vehicles that look like they would drop or kick up crap.

BowDown

Reaction score
There’s no way one trip 8 hours of driving should do something like this. I live about 4 miles from my house to work. I don’t drive behind semi or any vehicles that look like they would drop or kick up crap.

Yes it could, easily. You could get a paint chip in Dallas road in 5 miles of driving. I was very careful or thought I was with my truck, 400 miles before PPF was applied and I had about 4 rock chips.

BTW, I use to paint cars professionally, rock chips happen and very easily and there's little to nothing that can be done to protect paint short of PPF

NFL0109

Reaction score
Yes it could, easily. You could get a paint chip in Dallas road in 5 miles of driving. I was very careful or thought I was with my truck, 400 miles before PPF was applied and I had about 4 rock chips.

BTW, I use to paint cars professionally, rock chips happen and very easily and there's little to nothing that can be done to protect paint short of PPF

yeah idk my thoughts are they use some crap clear coat. I’m hoping the dealership with do something but it’s not looking good...

BowDown

Reaction score
yeah idk my thoughts are they use some crap clear coat. I’m hoping the dealership with do something but it’s not looking good...

Again, there's no clear coat or paint that can stand up to a rock going 30+ mph. Not an enamel, not a laquer not a waterborne paint which is what everyone now uses. PPF is the only solution here, too much frontal area compounded by paint on that area. No paint manufacturer is going to warranty that so no OEM nor paint shop will warranty that, its a road hazard. Best thing you can do is have it repainted then wait 8 weeks for it to cure out then PPF it.
Adding more clear will just lead to cracks in the top coat

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard from detailers that Ram is using a pretty hard clear coat as it takes longer to do cut and buffs. The overall shape of the truck probably has more to do with it then the paint it self. The rear fenders stick out hence they are bombarded with debris thrown up from the front tires if you don't have running boards. I have the OEM step bars and they block most of the rocks from hitting the rear fenders and most of the rockers. I think I found one little chip on the back fender in 30,000 miles.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I've heard from detailers that Ram is using a pretty hard clear coat as it takes longer to do cut and buffs. The overall shape of the truck probably has more to do with it then the paint it self. The rear fenders stick out hence they are bombarded with debris thrown up from the front tires if you don't have running boards. I have the OEM step bars and they block most of the rocks from hitting the rear fenders and most of the rockers. I think I found one little chip on the back fender in 30,000 miles.

Its not, I paint corrected mine before PPF and was surprised at how quick my compound cleaned up the paint. I thought it was the compound so I hand rubbed a spot where the dealer logo was and it cleaned up the scratches quickly.
Ceramic clears are hard but they're illegal now EPA, the new waterborne paints aren't as hard as polyurethanes

Paul07

Reaction score
View attachment 59306
My Ram is 11 months old and the paint clear coat looks terrible. Anyone else experiencing this? I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. It’s happening in nearly every body panel.
I have 2020 Ram Rebel , and my driver side front door looks terrible. You can see about a 5 inch thick line from front all the way to the back of door. It starts in the middle and is angled towards the handle. It's only on the one panel but it stands out like a sore thumb. I bought it in May. Is dodge covering this under warranty for you?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2020 Ram Rebel , and my driver side front door looks terrible. You can see about a 5 inch thick line from front all the way to the back of door. It starts in the middle and is angled towards the handle. It's only on the one panel but it stands out like a sore thumb. I bought it in May. Is dodge covering this under warranty for you?
Did you notice the problem when you first picked up the vehicle?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045350 miles.

Greek

Reaction score
Whats up guys! I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie that I put 275 60 20 wildpeak at3s on my stock wheels a few months ago and they have been knocking all the paint off of my rear fender flares and bottom of my bed. (Rock chips) just wondering if anyone else Is having paint issue problems like I am and if Chrysler will pay to get this taken care of... I can see if I had aftermarket wheels that stick out far but that's not the case. Pics to come. Fyi I do have mudflaps on!! This is ridiculous in my eyes, I see tons of new Ford and Chevy trucks with lifts and offset wheels and they all have paint on their flares. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
1 too have same issues ram cares been called waiting for response crazy to pay for paint color then have this issue on a Laramie 5800 dollars later.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly its a thin clearcoat. A good body shop can fix them so they dont chip. They just need some extra coats of clearcoat and some extra hardner in the mix. I doubt the dealer will do anything about it.

jmcwild30

Reaction score
Whats up guys! I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie that I put 275 60 20 wildpeak at3s on my stock wheels a few months ago and they have been knocking all the paint off of my rear fender flares and bottom of my bed. (Rock chips) just wondering if anyone else Is having paint issue problems like I am and if Chrysler will pay to get this taken care of... I can see if I had aftermarket wheels that stick out far but that's not the case. Pics to come. Fyi I do have mudflaps on!! This is ridiculous in my eyes, I see tons of new Ford and Chevy trucks with lifts and offset wheels and they all have paint on their flares. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
It's nothing to do with your tires etc, Chrysler poor paint is to blame, I have a brand new ram, and a brand new dodge charger, both are less than a year old driven in dry climate no snow etc, sand, never driven off the pavement, both have extreme paint chips all over, I will never own another Chrysler product, cheap poorly built, both started chipping paint under 10k Miles, over 100 grand financed for the pair, regret buying new again, more paint chips than my 30 year old SUV, truck is 2022 and the charger is a 2021

Users who are viewing this thread