5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint popping off roof

victory rider

Reaction score
Pretty typical service for a dealership. They always outsource to the cheapest close body ship and request that the least amount of work be done.
I had a dealership hit my front and rear bumpers and took the paint off down to the plastic and it was painted 3 times by the same body shop before I ended up getting stuck selling the car because they couldn't do a simple pain job and the paint kept flaking off.
Looks like you probably understand my situation from your own experience, difference is I hope to get rid of mine after the second repaint.

victory rider

Reaction score
It also depends what needs to be done with the paint.
Let me preface this by saying I am not a painter.

If there is a single area that needs to be painted it can be touched up, sanded, clearcoated etc.
If they need to strip majority of the panel there is a decent amount of work to do it right. Sand it all down, prep the surface and prime it, several coats of paint, more sanding, and a problem several layer of clear coat. It can be done properly but it's expensive and most of the time shortcuts are taken.

I had to have a quarter panel repainted on my last truck because I drove over a bungee cord with steel hooks and it hooked into my tire and smashed my taillight and took a ton of paint with it.
The job costed just under $4000 for the paint job, but when it was done it looked amazing.

My insurance company quoted me $890 for the paint job
The first shop I took it to quoted me $1300.
The second and the shop I had it done at quoted me $3600.

I was already over my deductible and this shop (body and paint) was certified with Tesla, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, GM, Ford, Dodge, Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan which is likely why their charge was so much. But the quality was there. Paint was just like OEM and the clear coat was nice and thick and hard.

If I went to the place that was going to do it for $1300 it likely could of looked fine, for the first few years before the paint quality shows how different from OEM it was.

The roof of the truck is going to get beat on all the time, sun, heat, snow\ice, etc. It's going to suck 5-10 years down the road when the paint falls off and OP gets stuck paying for another paint job.

I recall reading someone who had a Challengers windshield shatter above his Ram on the truck bringing the new vehicles to the dealership. I recall it being around $15k to repaint the whole truck (dealership was going to eat the cost with FCA). The person ended up passing and getting refunded to re-order another truck as they didn't want to have an aftermarket paint job on a new truck they never picked up yet.
Thanks , this is the point Im trying to make , even if it didnt have overspray , tape marks , bubbles and dirt in the paint its still going to be crap later on because nobody wants to do it the way it should be done. And Im sure that even if mopar does get it "looking good "it wont be the kind of quality youre talking about.

victory rider

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with you, you shouldn't stand for this and shouldn't have to deal with this on a new truck.

I had a minor paint issue on the middle roof of my truck, it was a few inches long but hard to see in low light and impossible to see unless you stood on the bed looking at it. After a painter friend confirmed it wouldn't get worse, I left it alone.

However, if this defect was on the side or somewhere I can see it, I would not have left it alone either.
I agree , if this was a minor paint issue I wouldnt be concerned . But paint bubbling anywhere on a new vehicle is a very big deal to me and I dont trust the paint on the rest of the truck either.

victory rider

Reaction score
The only solution is replacement of the truck. Im sure mopar wont do that so the best I can hope for is they get the roof looking good and Ill sell it or trade it in. Someone said theyre too tight to loose money on selling it and I agree its gonna suck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Again, if bought new, check out your states lemon laws. Most have some set period of repairs for same issue.
Now better Sword to hang over the factory's head than forcing them to abide by State Law.

I would not be too concerned with paint job being done, as long as it is done well.
Wife's new $60K Explorer St had $27K in hail damage, less than 30 days after being purchased, new.
If she wanted to get rid of it, after paint job was done, I;d gladly eat whatever it cost, to keep her from complaining, to me.
If it were my car, hmm, not so much.
Thankfully, shop did a great job and she loves the Complete Piece of Crap Ford.
I avoid getting into it at every opportunity. I hate the darn thing.
Her car so I do not care what it is.

If your truck is not right, then leave it with the dealer until it is right. Use those days towards your lemon law days.
Yes, not having a fdaily driver is a hardship but having to put up with a truck you no longer rust and cannot afford to trade is even more of hardship.

Again, I wish you all the very best and hope it turns out, in your favor.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only solution is replacement of the truck. Im sure mopar wont do that so the best I can hope for is they get the roof looking good and Ill sell it or trade it in. Someone said theyre too tight to loose money on selling it and I agree its gonna suck.
well it sure is not fun to have paint problem, but i think saying the ONLY solution is replacement of the truck is a bit overreacting no?

i fully understand that the current dealer dosent seem to be able to fix it... but

there are a lot of paintshop and other dealers that could repaint the truck making it look better then any original paint job from factory

just keep insisting for the fix to be done somewere else, contact someone higher than tbe rep you were already in touch if you can, you could also write a email to fca ceo

again i know its not fun i feel your payne, but a replacement truck for paint issues.. dont think its resonable, its fixable and could be better looking then any original paint if done proprelly

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well it sure is not fun to have paint problem, but i think saying the ONLY solution is replacement of the truck is a bit overreacting no?

i fully understand that the current dealer dosent seem to be able to fix it... but

there are a lot of paintshop and other dealers that could repaint the truck making it look better then any original paint job from factory

just keep insisting for the fix to be done somewere else, contact someone higher than tbe rep you were already in touch if you can, you could also write a email to fca ceo

again i know its not fun i feel your payne, but a replacement truck for paint issues.. dont think its resonable, its fixable and could be better looking then any original paint if done proprelly

Paint issues are considered uncorrectable defects. There's no way to restore a factory paint job without stripping and rebuilding the entire vehicle at the factory. The only option is replacement or a very very large "can you live with it?" payment on top of a independent professional repair.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paint issues are considered uncorrectable defects. There's no way to restore a factory paint job without stripping and rebuilding the entire vehicle at the factory. The only option is replacement or a very very large "can you live with it?" payment on top of a independent professional repair.
How do they perform corrosion warranty repairs if they are considered uncorrectable?

Who considers paint uncorrectable?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what ??? since when??? did it change????
please informe me, i was in the assumption that now, in 2022, people was able to paint a vehicle without defects...

not just a robot, but if you say so, i must be wrong, and it is impossible to paint a vehicle as perfect as a factory paint.... wow i really think it was possible, all thoses posers who made me beleive it was something that could be done

sorry....

really

try to say that to the 1000 of paint shop that exist, they should close there doors

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Vehicles that have paint defects that are spotted before they leave the factory are fixed as well. They are pretty much spot repaired, not like they are going to strip them out and send them back through the paint booth.

Also, there is a whole system in place to repair new vehicles before they arrive at dealerships, usually damaged during transport. They are fixed by essentially 3rd party level repaint shop located at the main transport hubs. Often none of this is disclosed prior to sale.

It's why before I buy a new vehicle, I actually use a cheap paint level meter and check out all the panels to detect if they did refinish it or if it was polished too aggressively for some reason.

Johnp313

Reaction score
I have a new Pacifica with paint bubbling in the hood in less than a year, first dealer was no help, brought it to a different dealer and they are aware of the problem and are taking care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread