5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint popping off roof

gofishn

Reaction score
Paint is not covered under a service contract

Correct. However, the fact that the truck is in, for warranty work, under the 3 yr 36mile we cover every darn thing part f the warranty and the fact that is is kept overnight by the dealer would get him a rental covered under the factory service contract.

Did my Wife, years ago, on one of her minivans with paint goofiness.

gofishn

Reaction score
If they ever get the paint right Im selling it .

You Do You. Make yourself happy.
Far too big a financial hit, for my tight ****, over simple paint issue, but there are things that would make it worthwhile, for me, to eat that Lunch.

Again, you do you.

Man built that Truck & Man can fix it.
I sincerely hope it all turns out well, for you.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did my Wife, years ago, on one of her minivans with paint goofiness
I'm not sure what happened.... hopefully it went well.

Just got the truck back the repaint is ****

Wouldn't this be a body shop issue not a dealer issue. Unfortunately I don't know how the process was handled, did the dealer take the car to the body shop and return it to you. Did you take it to the body shop? Either way the truck shouldn't have left the body shop after being repaired

victory rider

Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened.... hopefully it went well.

Just got the truck back the repaint is ****

Wouldn't this be a body shop issue not a dealer issue. Unfortunately I don't know how the process was handled, did the dealer take the car to the body shop and return it to you. Did you take it to the body shop? Either way the truck shouldn't have left the body shop after being repaired
Took it to the dealer they set up an appointment to come back for them to take pictures to send to RAM for the warranty claim . The truck was parked right beside the window where the service writer was standing when I went there the first time but he couldnt take the pictures while I was there so I had to come back 3 days later for the appointment 5 minute photo session . After the photo session he informed me I had to wait for RAMs approval after which I would need to leave the truck with them and the body shop would get to it whenever they can and it could be 3 weeks ( lucky me it was only 2 weeks ). I said thats rediculous and he said thats just the way it is . I asked for a loaner he said they dont have any , I asked for a ride home he said they cant do that either . So I brought it to them a week later after RAMs approval and I had someone to give me a ride home . Picked it up friday in the rain so didnt even look at it till the next day. On my way out he said RAM will be sending me a survey and " I would appreciate it if you would give us 5 stars on everything it really makes a difference for us " , I said oh yeah as I walked out .

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer they set up an appointment to come back for them to take pictures to send to RAM for the warranty claim . The truck was parked right beside the window where the service writer was standing when I went there the first time but he couldnt take the pictures while I was there so I had to come back 3 days later for the appointment 5 minute photo session . After the photo session he informed me I had to wait for RAMs approval after which I would need to leave the truck with them and the body shop would get to it whenever they can and it could be 3 weeks ( lucky me it was only 2 weeks ). I said thats rediculous and he said thats just the way it is . I asked for a loaner he said they dont have any , I asked for a ride home he said they cant do that either . So I brought it to them a week later after RAMs approval and I had someone to give me a ride home . Picked it up friday in the rain so didnt even look at it till the next day. On my way out he said RAM will be sending me a survey and " I would appreciate it if you would give us 5 stars on everything it really makes a difference for us " , I said oh yeah as I walked out .
Sounds like a serious dealer and body shop issue, how could it not be fixed. You know what body shop did the work?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like a serious dealer and body shop issue, how could it not be fixed. You know what body shop did the work?
Pretty typical service for a dealership. They always outsource to the cheapest close body ship and request that the least amount of work be done.
I had a dealership hit my front and rear bumpers and took the paint off down to the plastic and it was painted 3 times by the same body shop before I ended up getting stuck selling the car because they couldn't do a simple pain job and the paint kept flaking off.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty typical service for a dealership. They always outsource to the cheapest close body ship and request that the least amount of work be done.
I had a dealership hit my front and rear bumpers and took the paint off down to the plastic and it was painted 3 times by the same body shop before I ended up getting stuck selling the car because they couldn't do a simple pain job and the paint kept flaking off.
You have no clue how a paint warranty is done!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have no clue how a paint warranty is done!
Right. No one knows anything except for you around here.
Just saying OP is lying right?

Maybe it's you who has no clue...

The only proper way is to let the owner choose where the repairs are done, especially since the dealerships don't do body work or paint and then it can get done right.
Paint work is not cheap, and dealerships don't want to eat the cost\get higher margins. Once the body shop screws up once, they send the truck back to the same exact body shop and force them to "fix it" on their dime and it just is another crap job.
OP understands what i'm saying unfortunately.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The only proper way is to let the owner choose where the repairs are done, especially since the dealerships don't do body work or paint and then it can get done right.
Paint work is not cheap, and dealerships don't want to eat the cost\get higher margins. Once the body shop screws up once, they send the truck back to the same exact body shop and force them to "fix it" on their dime and it just is another crap job.
Here you go. A claim has to be submitted to the manufacturer. This means pictures and all documentation has to be provided. The service dept takes pictures and then sends the vehicle to a body shop that works with the dealer(could be a dealer body shop or an independent body shop). That body shop provides their estimate for all work to the dealership. That info is then sent to the manufacturer for authorization.

You do know many dealers have their own body shops.

Yes if a body shop is paid to fix a car, they are now on the hook for that repair.

There IS a battery in the radio
Thats you, you said that. You called me out and wanted actual service info and part numbers. It happened. You are the one who can't give any actual proof of anything.

victory rider

Reaction score
Called mopar today , they gave me a case number and said the dealership I took it to will be giving me a call tomorrow , they get a chance to make it right . On a positive note mopar may be trying to make things right but Im not going to be happy with this truck , I realize 51 thousand dollars is not that high for a pickup nowadays but its a big deal to me and I dont want one that has paint popping off less than a year after it was built . If they didnt get the roof prepped right at the factory then how can I trust the rest of the paint ? I cant sell it like it is and the next owner will probably have the same concerns , I may have to trade it but wont be getting another ram because I dont like the local dealership , had issues with them when I had my 2014.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Called mopar today , they gave me a case number and said the dealership I took it to will be giving me a call tomorrow , they get a chance to make it right . On a positive note mopar may be trying to make things right but Im not going to be happy with this truck , I realize 51 thousand dollars is not that high for a pickup nowadays but its a big deal to me and I dont want one that has paint popping off less than a year after it was built . If they didnt get the roof prepped right at the factory then how can I trust the rest of the paint ? I cant sell it like it is and the next owner will probably have the same concerns , I may have to trade it but wont be getting another ram because I dont like the local dealership , had issues with them when I had my 2014.
I hope they make it right but down downsell your price. $51k is a ton of money, just because there are trucks that cost more doesn't change the fact $51,000 is still $51,000. It should be god damn perfect.
If you wanted something with a crap paint job you could of bought used for half that price.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The problem is these trucks have a base price below $30,000, and quite the utilitarian spec. The added options and equipment doesn't improve the build quality.

However, regardless of price, the paint quality shown here is clearly not acceptable at any price. There are still new cars at $20,000, and issues like this would not be acceptable on those.

The shoddy work coupled with a disinterested dealership network is compounding his issue.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The problem is these trucks have a base price below $30,000, and quite the utilitarian spec. The added options and equipment doesn't improve the build quality.

However, regardless of price, the paint quality shown here is clearly not acceptable at any price. There are still new cars at $20,000, and issues like this would not be acceptable on those.

The shoddy work coupled with a disinterested dealership network is compounding his issue.
I agree with what you're saying, but base price starts at $37k, not $30k. For a base tradesman with nothing selected.
I can do a lot with $7k

Paint quality is paramount for any car\truck.
There's a reason why we never get unpainted new vehicles...

BowDown

Reaction score

Paint work is not cheap, and dealerships don't want to eat the cost\get higher margins.
Once the body shop screws up once, they send the truck back to the same exact body shop and force them to "fix it" on their dime and it just is another crap job.

Thats not really true in a situation like this, the dealer will use a shop they work with and the customer will not have a say in that, its not an insurance claim.
Paint work is not cheap for you or me, paint work is relatively cheap for a shop/dealer. Labor to prep the roof for paint, 2 hrs. Materials, maybe $50-75 dollars. The paint booth time is the most costly because it ties up a piece of equipment that halts all other jobs till that job is complete.
I used to paint cars

BowDown

Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, but base price starts at $37k, not $30k. For a base tradesman with nothing selected.
I can do a lot with $7k

Paint quality is paramount for any car\truck to you. If everyone was like that then there'd be no paint issues but most people don't care and wouldn't notice.
SD Rebel is correct in that the cost of the vehicle isn't relevant, it wouldn't matter if the truck was 10K, I'd still expect it to be right.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can do a lot with $7k

Gotcha, I know they stopped the DT single cab recently, but I've seen a Classic Single cab just recently for just under $30K. Or did I get that mixed up, was there never a DT single cab?

Either way, they aren't painting a loaded Limited any different than a base Tradesman. But the paint should be relatively good and without major defects regardless of price. I've seen little nibs here and there on my paint, even on high priced premium cars, but what's on the OP's truck is unacceptable.

victory rider

Reaction score
To be clear 51k is a whole lotta money to me too and Im sure they all get the same paint regardless of price. What I should have said is ( thinking about someones comment that they wouldnt get rid of the truck just because of a paint issue ) . Well I would get rid of the truck because of this bad of a paint issue and also **** poor dealer service . I dont claim to know alot about paint and body work but Ive been told that surface prep is the most important thing paint wont stick if its not done right . Maybe it was prepped on a monday when everybody was hungover who knows but whatever the reason I dont trust the rest of the paintjob . I dont doubt that mopar will get the roof done right eventually but I dont think I bought a new truck with an aftermarket paintjob and Im not going to keep one with an aftermarket paintjob even if they get it right. As Darksteel165 said theres a reason why we dont buy unpainted trucks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
To be clear 51k is a whole lotta money to me too and Im sure they all get the same paint regardless of price. What I should have said is ( thinking about someones comment that they wouldnt get rid of the truck just because of a paint issue ) . Well I would get rid of the truck because of this bad of a paint issue and also **** poor dealer service . I dont claim to know alot about paint and body work but Ive been told that surface prep is the most important thing paint wont stick if its not done right . Maybe it was prepped on a monday when everybody was hungover who knows but whatever the reason I dont trust the rest of the paintjob . I dont doubt that mopar will get the roof done right eventually but I dont think I bought a new truck with an aftermarket paintjob and Im not going to keep one with an aftermarket paintjob even if they get it right. As Darksteel165 said theres a reason why we dont buy unpainted trucks.

Absolutely agree with you, you shouldn't stand for this and shouldn't have to deal with this on a new truck.

I had a minor paint issue on the middle roof of my truck, it was a few inches long but hard to see in low light and impossible to see unless you stood on the bed looking at it. After a painter friend confirmed it wouldn't get worse, I left it alone.

However, if this defect was on the side or somewhere I can see it, I would not have left it alone either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with you, you shouldn't stand for this and shouldn't have to deal with this on a new truck.

I had a minor paint issue on the middle roof of my truck, it was a few inches long but hard to see in low light and impossible to see unless you stood on the bed looking at it. After a painter friend confirmed it wouldn't get worse, I left it alone.

However, if this defect was on the side or somewhere I can see it, I would not have left it alone either.
It also depends what needs to be done with the paint.
Let me preface this by saying I am not a painter.

If there is a single area that needs to be painted it can be touched up, sanded, clearcoated etc.
If they need to strip majority of the panel there is a decent amount of work to do it right. Sand it all down, prep the surface and prime it, several coats of paint, more sanding, and a problem several layer of clear coat. It can be done properly but it's expensive and most of the time shortcuts are taken.

I had to have a quarter panel repainted on my last truck because I drove over a bungee cord with steel hooks and it hooked into my tire and smashed my taillight and took a ton of paint with it.
The job costed just under $4000 for the paint job, but when it was done it looked amazing.

My insurance company quoted me $890 for the paint job
The first shop I took it to quoted me $1300.
The second and the shop I had it done at quoted me $3600.

I was already over my deductible and this shop (body and paint) was certified with Tesla, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, GM, Ford, Dodge, Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan which is likely why their charge was so much. But the quality was there. Paint was just like OEM and the clear coat was nice and thick and hard.

If I went to the place that was going to do it for $1300 it likely could of looked fine, for the first few years before the paint quality shows how different from OEM it was.

The roof of the truck is going to get beat on all the time, sun, heat, snow\ice, etc. It's going to suck 5-10 years down the road when the paint falls off and OP gets stuck paying for another paint job.

I recall reading someone who had a Challengers windshield shatter above his Ram on the truck bringing the new vehicles to the dealership. I recall it being around $15k to repaint the whole truck (dealership was going to eat the cost with FCA). The person ended up passing and getting refunded to re-order another truck as they didn't want to have an aftermarket paint job on a new truck they never picked up yet.

Users who are viewing this thread