5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint matched tow mirror caps

Rambro1776

Reaction score
I had a dealership tell me that body color matched mirror caps were not an option for the 1500 DT tow mirrors. Anymore info on this? Trying to do a complete chrome delete on the truck. Also, have a guy that paints emblems; I assume door panels have to be taken off to unscrew the side Emblems. Any experience w/this? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I had a dealership tell me that body color matched mirror caps were not an option for the 1500 DT tow mirrors. Anymore info on this? Trying to do a complete chrome delete on the truck. Also, have a guy that paints emblems; I assume door panels have to be taken off to unscrew the side Emblems. Any experience w/this? Thanks everyone!

Mirrors will be either chrome or black.
Door emblems are held with tape, Once removed, you will need new ones as the tape is not reusable.
Same with tailgate badges, except the center RAM logo, which is held by tape and clips. Hood badges pop out also (held with tabs).

Cheers,

Rambro1776

Reaction score
Door emblems are held with tape, Once removed, you will need new ones as the tape is not reusable.
Same with tailgate badges, except the center RAM logo, which is held by tape and clips. Hood badges pop out also (held with tabs).

Cheers,

You’re awesome, thanks! Looks like I now have a weekend project

Rambro1776

Reaction score

Cheers,

Would buying 3m tape and putting old emblems back on not work?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Not very well in my opinion. The emblem tape is very thin and precise. Not saying it can’t work, but it wasn’t worth the effort for me.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Emblems are relatively cheap rather than trying to reuse them, exemption in my case was the grille emblem as stated they are held on by clips. I took my grille emblem to my paint guy and had him paint them body color then EDB04F2F-6B42-4426-8321-91CA9D0F1BF0.jpeg snapped them back in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Sure, it would work. But it wouldn't be worth the effort. It will be difficult to get the spacing and alignment correct, and if it's not perfect it won't look good. New badges come attached to backing paper that keeps them straight and perfectly aligned to each other when you install them. You'd probably have better luck using servo tape instead of 3M. It's thinner and sticks better than 3M tape I've used. I guess it would be worth a try, but I'd just buy blacked out badges and be done with it. Or use plasti-dip and you don't even have to remove them.

Users who are viewing this thread