5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint issues from factory

Spanish Cobra

Reaction score
Well heck. It looks like I bought a truck built om a Monday or Friday. When washing the truck I found 5 paint imperfections. Can't believe it got pass quality inspection from factory. Took it to dealer to start paint repair work order. Was told they will need to paint the whole right side of the multigate and left front fender. Made me cringe thinking about color mismatch. Anyone with paint knowledge that can advise on these issues ?

Attachments

• tailgate.b.jpg
    tailgate.b.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 68
  • tailgate.d.jpg
    tailgate.d.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 66
  • hood (1).jpg
    hood (1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 67
  • left fender.c.jpg
    left fender.c.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 66

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a run in the paint on my 2020 BTS on passe ger side rocker panel. Dealer body shop wet sanded it and gave it back. Yours look worse. Most people probably wouldn't have even noticed some of that.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has an area the size of a Frisbee where the clear coat is very cloudy on the driver door and another on the front fender. I haven't complained to the dealer because I don't want a partial aftermarket paint job on a new truck.

Spanish Cobra

Reaction score
Mine has an area the size of a Frisbee where the clear coat is very cloudy on the driver door and another on the front fender. I haven't complained to the dealer because I don't want a partial aftermarket paint job on a new truck.

And there lies my dilemma. GO or NO GO with paint repairs.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it were mine I would have it painted no problem. A good paint shop will make it go away without you being able to tell it was ever there. Being a new truck the color will match no issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it were mine I would have it painted no problem. A good paint shop will make it go away without you being able to tell it was ever there. Being a new truck the color will match no issue.
And the fresh paint will actually be better than the factory paint

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had plenty of new vehicles repainted after damage (mostly deer) and never had an issue with the paint match. A quality bodyshop will do a great job that will last the life of the vehicle.

Anything like that from the factory would never get past me. I inspect every square inch before delivery. No question that would get fixed and done right.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I have a paint imperfection on the passenger side door just above the door handle. Its about the size of a quarter and you can only see it while looking at certain angles. It appeared they sanded the paint but you can see swirl marks.

It would be covered under warranty but half the passenger side would need to be repainted to blend.

Someone on the forum told me if the quarter sized mark bothers you then wait till you notice the paint job on half the truck. I did not get the paint done.

ben b

Reaction score
My door got a parking lot dent when it was 3 months old. After the dent was pulled out, the paint mar was similar to some of your pictures. The body shop made it look perfect by repainting the area. Two years later it still looks perfect.

I was super impressed by the skill of the paint technician.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just make sure you get to pick the paint shop, most dealerships like to use whoever does crappy cheap work.
A good proper paint job is expensive, and should be almost at good as OEM.
Blending paint to match (something I can't do) almost always works and you would never know.

Check under your hood and make sure the stops are level, that looks like scratched metal on the inside of your hood

Spanish Cobra

Reaction score
Just make sure you get to pick the paint shop, most dealerships like to use whoever does crappy cheap work.
A good proper paint job is expensive, and should be almost at good as OEM.
Blending paint to match (something I can't do) almost always works and you would never know.

Check under your hood and make sure the stops are level, that looks like scratched metal on the inside of your hood

Didn't know I had the option to select paint shop for warranty repair. I have taken it to the dealership's body shop. They wrote up the repair order took photos. They said it would take a week to repair. Have it scheduled for July 24.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Didn't know I had the option to select paint shop for warranty repair. I have taken it to the dealership's body shop. They wrote up the repair order took photos. They said it would take a week to repair. Have it scheduled for July 24.
Depends on a lot of factors.
Was it damaged pre-delivery? that wouldn't be a regular warranty repair, the dealership would bill it back to FCA.
Also you have the power to make them take it back if they sold your damaged goods and you could prove it (depending on the state there are differnet laws)

If you had the truck for a bit then no you can choose what dealership, but they would use whatever paint shop they want, if you found one with a body shop great, most don't have body or paint shops and outsource it but re-bill is as though it's coming from the dealership.
Those repairs don't look very hard though I think you will be A-ok.

Spanish Cobra

Reaction score
Depends on a lot of factors.
Was it damaged pre-delivery? that wouldn't be a regular warranty repair, the dealership would bill it back to FCA.
Also you have the power to make them take it back if they sold your damaged goods and you could prove it (depending on the state there are differnet laws)

If you had the truck for a bit then no you can choose what dealership, but they would use whatever paint shop they want, if you found one with a body shop great, most don't have body or paint shops and outsource it but re-bill is as though it's coming from the dealership.
Those repairs don't look very hard though I think you will be A-ok.

The Rebel arrived at dealership on Thursday and I bought it on Friday. Think is was just washed. Dealership didn't have time to stick on their logo. I've the truck for 12 days.

Users who are viewing this thread