5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Defect on new 2020 Bighorn

RamLink83

Reaction score
So I noticed a pretty significant paint defect at the top of my driver's side door. There is a long mark that almost looks like something ran across the paint while wet or even touch up paint that was clear coated over. There is no scratch on the surface of the clear coat. It's all under the clear. Luckily where it is located it's not that noticeable, but a truck that costs this much should not have a defect like this. Not sure how it got past QA. It looks worse when it is cloudy. When it is sunny, it's not as noticeable.

I'm debating on what I want to do since the only fix would be an entire door repaint, at least I would assume it would have to be repainted. Then I run the risk of the paint not matching or other issues from breaking the factory paint. I sent pictures to my salesman asking what they can do. I'd rather have some sort of money back instead of it being fixed, which would probably be cheaper than a repaint. I was told I have to bring it in for the service manager to check it out and take pictures. Kind of annoying since the dealer is about an hour away.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_123745.jpg
    IMG_20191231_123745.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20191231_123655.jpg
    IMG_20191231_123655.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20191231_123740.jpg
    IMG_20191231_123740.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 63

dannyjo

Reaction score
That's painful. I has a smaller blemish on my 3500 when delivered and the dealer offered to send out a mobile paint repair person. Not ideal but netter than nothing.

Yours is more significant but I'm guessing a repaint of the door is the best they will offer and they might offer even less (ie just address that area on its own) and i'd be super surprised if they offered any money in lieu but i suppose it is possible.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I noticed a pretty significant paint defect at the top of my driver's side door. There is a long mark that almost looks like something ran across the paint while wet or even touch up paint that was clear coated over. There is no scratch on the surface of the clear coat. It's all under the clear. Luckily where it is located it's not that noticeable, but a truck that costs this much should not have a defect like this. Not sure how it got past QA. It looks worse when it is cloudy. When it is sunny, it's not as noticeable.

I'm debating on what I want to do since the only fix would be an entire door repaint, at least I would assume it would have to be repainted. Then I run the risk of the paint not matching or other issues from breaking the factory paint. I sent pictures to my salesman asking what they can do. I'd rather have some sort of money back instead of it being fixed, which would probably be cheaper than a repaint. I was told I have to bring it in for the service manager to check it out and take pictures. Kind of annoying since the dealer is about an hour away.
I have a few spots with minor blemishes but I didn’t have them addressed because you have to be right on top of it to see it. I used to work in the auto body industry so i notice them but others wouldn’t. If I were you I’d find a good body shop and have the dealer pay through warranty. Paint matching isn’t an issue anymore like the old days. Even touch up paint is usually very close to spot on.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I just worry that things may end up worse if it gets repainted. Plus I already got it ceramic coated, so they will have to fork over more money to have that door redone. I guess I could put some of those external mounted window visor on it and cover most of the blemish.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just worry that things may end up worse if it gets repainted. Plus I already got it ceramic coated, so they will have to fork over more money to have that door redone. I guess I could put some of those external mounted window visor on it and cover most of the blemish.
I hear ya. I would still consider the repaint if you can find a shop that’s very highly rated. The only other option is to contact FCA and see if they will give you some compensation. Express your concerns about potential to make things worse. Maybe they will offer you something. I’d get an estimate first if course so you know what you are looking at from a monetary standpoint. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread