5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint correction tips . All help needed.

Duran

Reaction score
Finally ready to rid my baby of the swirl marks and minor scuffs. I am timid about using compund and polish with a DA polisher but it need to be done . So far i have the clay bar , mcguires compund and polish. A DA polisher and looking to get her done before the heat.

Looking for tips advice and pics. Asking the best people i know. My fellow RAM family.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I did mine, and previous show cars I've had, you need to be sure that you're using the right pad with the compound. I found this is the most important step as the wrong pad will either over work the compound or not work good at all.

I spent a few extra dollars and bought blue painters tape. I covered the edges of trim where it met the paint to keep compound out. It took a few minutes to install, but was worth the time saved in clean up.

Start with one panel, keep your DA on low speed to start, smear the compound around evenly, then up the speed to full, or just under full. Make overlapping passes horizontal, then go again vertical for full coverage. You only need to do this a few times in each direction, then wipe off. The swirls should now be gone, but you need to polish. Use a good polish and a polishing pad the same way you compounded, and the truck will glow.

If you're doing this much work, and can let the truck sit for 2 days after, I would finish with Avalon King ceramic coating. The color will pop, the blacks will be uber black and the swirl removal is maintained for longer than just waxing.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You will learn more on the tube in a day of watching than you can imagine. Pan the Organizer is also a good one. Autogeek.com has tons of free videos on car care. Go slow and you will be fine. You would have to try really hard to damage your paint with a DA polisher.

Duran

Reaction score
When I did mine, and previous show cars I've had, you need to be sure that you're using the right pad with the compound. I found this is the most important step as the wrong pad will either over work the compound or not work good at all.

I spent a few extra dollars and bought blue painters tape. I covered the edges of trim where it met the paint to keep compound out. It took a few minutes to install, but was worth the time saved in clean up.

Start with one panel, keep your DA on low speed to start, smear the compound around evenly, then up the speed to full, or just under full. Make overlapping passes horizontal, then go again vertical for full coverage. You only need to do this a few times in each direction, then wipe off. The swirls should now be gone, but you need to polish. Use a good polish and a polishing pad the same way you compounded, and the truck will glow.

If you're doing this much work, and can let the truck sit for 2 days after, I would finish with Avalon King ceramic coating. The color will pop, the blacks will be uber black and the swirl removal is maintained for longer than just waxing.
Excellent advice . What pads did you go woth . I wish i could let her sit for a few days for ceramic. Imma have to settle with a good wax.

Duran

Reaction score
Ive seen maany videos. But here i can interact with people whom have done the work and i can communicate my questions and receive feed back

Duran

Reaction score
How would i clean the pads in between polishing

U

User_3336

I used the simple AutoSpa Polisher at Walmart to get rid of swirl marks on a dark color.
Wash thoroughly, dry completely. I did hit with a spray detailer first to remove any last debris.

I used the Meguairs Polishing Compound on the yellow bonnet about 3 times over the same path. This seemed to do better than a claybar (which CAN scratch). Surface was smoother after getting all the polishing compound off, and swirl marks were gone.

I tried some of the new MOTHER's ceramic wax at Walmart, and the finish was ultimate slick after buffing the wax off (used the microfiber bonnet to apply the way).

Slick, shiny, and no swirl marks.

You don't have to spend hundreds, this was $45 max.

Duran

Reaction score
Wish i had a big garage to apply ceramic.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Finally ready to rid my baby of the swirl marks and minor scuffs. I am timid about using compund and polish with a DA polisher but it need to be done . So far i have the clay bar , mcguires compund and polish. A DA polisher and looking to get her done before the heat.

Looking for tips advice and pics. Asking the best people i know. My fellow RAM family.
Start light, don't use compound (at first). Test the waters with a medium duty polish; on that says it's for removing swirl marks. Swirl marks live on the very top layer of the clear coat. No need to go deep on your 1st time out.

Duran

Reaction score
Start light, don't use compound (at first). Test the waters with a medium duty polish; on that says it's for removing swirl marks. Swirl marks live on the very top layer of the clear coat. No need to go deep on your 1st time out
Thnks i would have wen in with a hevy compound first

Gipraw

Reaction score
How would i clean the pads in between polishing

BlowIing out the pad using compressed air is the best. Don’t cross contaminate the pads but using multiple products on the same pad. Which specific Pads and products did you purchase? What was/sealant are you planning on using ?

I would also recommend using a clay car as a first step prior to doing any polishing.

Duran

Reaction score
I was going eoth mcguires compound and the polish afterwards. Havent pucked a sealent and suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread