5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Chipping

Mel063

Reaction score
My paint on the front end chipped terribly. Winter weather sucks but I never had this issue with any other vehicle. It looks spotted on the front of my truck now! I purchased it on 12/17/20.

Also when it is snowy, the trailer brake light comes on. I was not hauling a trailer. Back to the dealer I guess...

KRField

Reaction score
The paint on these Rams are stupid thin. I forget what reading I was getting from my paint thickness gauge when I bought it. I do remember the reading was in an area that was shockingly thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickv1214

Reaction score
The paint on these Rams are stupid thin. I forget what reading I was getting from my paint thickness gauge when I bought it. I do remember the reading was in an area that was shockingly thin.

Yeah it’s pretty bad , I pressure wash all my vehicles and never had one issue at all .
I always stay far enough back and never attack the paint . My first week with the ram I was doing exactly that and it took the paint right off the front bumper 🤦🏻‍♂️

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most factory paint seems to be pretty thin anymore. I've had thin paint issues on Honda's, Subaru's, GMC's, and my last three Ram trucks. PPF at the time of purchase is the best way to avoid rock chips, especially if you live anywhere that lays down anything for traction in the winter. My state calls it sand for liability reasons, but it's actually very small gravel.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My paint on the front end chipped terribly. Winter weather sucks but I never had this issue with any other vehicle. It looks spotted on the front of my truck now! I purchased it on 12/17/20.

Also when it is snowy, the trailer brake light comes on. I was not hauling a trailer. Back to the dealer I guess...
I’ve owned many new vehicles in my life and these new rams by far have the worst paint of any😩

Mel063

Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty bad , I pressure wash all my vehicles and never had one issue at all .
I always stay far enough back and never attack the paint . My first week with the ram I was doing exactly that and it took the paint right off the front bumper 🤦🏻‍♂️
The dealer will take care of the chips because I had a treatment done prior to delivery that warranties against paint chips. Still not a good start. I owned several F-150's for many years and never had this issue...

Mel063

Reaction score

I believe it, I have never seen anything like this. Have you ever used a spray on protectant, what they refer to as a spray on bra?

KRField

Reaction score
I believe it, I have never seen anything like this. Have you ever used a spray on protectant, what they refer to as a spray on bra?

No, but can’t hurt for road trips. That’s what got me. I was going to get PPF done when I bought the truck. However, before I could I had to attend a funeral 6 hours away. Ran into a snow storm and when I got home it it looked like I got hit with a couple rounds of buckshot.

I am past the point of using dr. Colorchip. I will probably repaint the bumper and PPF.

Amazing93

Reaction score
First thing I did with my truck is get the PPF on the front. It's all color matched so I knew the chips would look horrible. Paint on most new vehicles leaves a lot to be desired it's not just a Ram thing.

Joshua022

Reaction score
What is PPF, I'm looking for options to help reduce this too as I'm having the same chipping issues?

NWRogue

Reaction score
What is PPF, I'm looking for options to help reduce this too as I'm having the same chipping issues?
PPF = paint protection film, mine had it installed by the dealer, didn't know about it until I had the first detail done many months later. Sort of like vinyl wrap, but clear and i think a bit thicker.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PPF is a must espspecially if you have a painted bumper. Steel bumpers chip 10 times easier then a plastic car bumper as the steel does not give and absorb a rock impact like a plastic bumper.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These new rams have some of the worst paint ever, touch it wrong and it chips or scratches😩

redneck

Reaction score
make sure you get a self healing ppf that way if it gets scratched or small dents from rocks it will fill back in by themselves or you can add a little hot water to speed things up

KCViper

Reaction score
Picked up my truck a few days ago and it's at Xpel Dallas getting the front protected. Almost decided to skip it.....reading this, I'm glad I went ahead and got it!!

jmcwild30

Reaction score

It's a Chrysler problem across the board, I bought a new 21 dodge charger 57k bucks four months later 22 ram 53k bucks, both have paint chips everywhere less than a year old I live in mild climate neither has been off road or anywhere where there salt and sand on the roads, no reason for it, and both have the dreaded hemi tick already at start up, charger has 18k Miles, truck has only 10k miles, will never buy another Chrysler product

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/