5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint chipping off all door handles

U

User_104008

I have a 2021 Billet Silver Night Edition and the paint is chipping off on the edge of all the door handles. Dealer said that Ram likely won't cover it because it's not a corrosion issue! I don't think that can be correct, can it? I take really good care of this truck and It looks really crappy imo. I've had several people who rode with me comment about it already so it's bad enough that others notice it.
The pics I posted are passenger side front and rear but they are all doing it as bad as these.
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and could give me some insight on how to get the caps replaced?
20221111_093941.jpg 20221111_093922.jpg

ram0686

Reaction score
My 2019 Billet Silver is doing exactly the same. Wonder if other colors are doing the same?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only the rear passenger handle has that sliver of paint missing. No matter how hard you try to keep them nice……..

U

User_104008

Yeah Im hoping the next set will hold up better but I doubt it. Im sure they all have the same issue. I have an appointment next week and I'm going to push the issue to try and get them to replace them. If they wint do it then I guess I'll know how good the bumper to bumper is..

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Drivers door handle is chipping at the Accent depression in the center of the handle.

Malodave

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened to two of the lock covers on my 2020, had them replaced under warranty and one of the replacements had started doing it again before I traded in a couple months later.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Same on my 2019 as well. I think ot has to do with the shape of the handle making the paint prone to wear.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same on my 2019 as well. I think ot has to do with the shape of the handle making the paint prone to wear.
I doubt that, otherwise this would be a more widespread problem. We're on our third 5th gen and none of them has had a problem with the paint in these areas.

DjS.

Reaction score
Mines doing the same thing and it gets worse every day. Went to the dealership and the paint department said there was nothing they could do for it because it was a “rock chip”. So I contacted Ram Cares on here and when I go back for my oil change they said they would start a case with them for me. D453D108-B2E6-4F73-A1FC-B3D4789C9FDB.jpeg

Morenar

Reaction score
Same issue on my drive side rear cover. I may touch it up with some paint to see if it stops it from spreading.

Phippy

Reaction score
Very least dealership should remove the handles and repaint them. Made the mistake of purchasing a 2015 1500 Sport unseen in bright white when picked up two of the handles had chips, complained dealership just had them repainted. Will add if you want 100% color match beg for new handle or handles painted from factory.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tops of my handles are fading a bit on my 2019, had the same thing on my 2014.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks, they shouldn't be going off like that after just a few years.

I think you can buy them already painted from Mopar themselves, not sure if that's cheaper than have your original ones sanded down and resprayed.

mdschadler

Reaction score
Mine are chipping off in the same way. It seems like a design flaw, the corner is too sharp. The paint chips off from regular use. Anyone have luck with touch up paint? I’m at 37k miles… (2020 silver Rebel)

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. I wet sanded where it was chipping and used touch up paint. You can barely tell and no more chipping.

U

User_104008

UPDATE: They replaced every one of those covers on the truck. Originally, they said they didn't have a bodyshop so they would have to get approval through Ram to send my covers out to get repainted. So before I dropped the truck off, I went online and got the part numbers for the already painted Billet Silver covers and gave that info to the guy at the service department. He called me an hour later to tell me he ordered them out of the Chicago distribution hub. They got them all installed the next morning all under warranty.

DDRam

Reaction score
I have a 2022 in Silver Billet Night addition and the same thing has happened to mine at only 12,000 miles. The first dealer I went to (2 miles from home) told me they wouldn't touch it because I didn't purchase from them! The other dealer told me okay, all set under warranty. When I went to get it installed the story changed and said that Chrysler didn't warranty it. Very inconsistent and disappointing.

IMG_4783.jpg

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubt they would fix paint in such a wear and tear area. Too easy to pass it off as that.

I'm not saying we don't have paint issues. It's been documented. It's just a bad area.

Users who are viewing this thread