5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint chip correction with depth?

timelinex

Reaction score
If it matters, I have a 2020 white Ram 3500

I know Dr ColorChip is a good match for factory paints.... But my main complaint is all it does is color the chip. The indent remains. Are there any paint chip repair kits that actually fill the paint chip in?

If not, what's your otherwise favorite paint chip repair kit. I usually do dr. colorchip, but not sure I want to spend the money on it on this truck and may spring for a cheaper kit.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can layer the Dr Colorchip paint. Use it, allow it to shrink/dry, then use it again to fill the rest of the chip.

I personally use touch up paint, fill the entire chipped area, let it dry a day or so, and fill it again. After it dries, I lightly sand it to match the height of the surrounding paint, then polish/buff. It makes the repair almost invisible.

timelinex

Reaction score
You can layer the Dr Colorchip paint. Use it, allow it to shrink/dry, then use it again to fill the rest of the chip.

I personally use touch up paint, fill the entire chipped area, let it dry a day or so, and fill it again. After it dries, I lightly sand it to match the height of the surrounding paint, then polish/buff. It makes the repair almost invisible.
Where do you get the touch up paint. Any particular brand or location?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually buy the factory touch up, but get it online rather than from a dealer.

Goldsy

Reaction score
These guys make really good touch up kits and have been my go-to. Same basic idea as Dr. Colorchip, but a lot easier to get in Canada.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got my paint for this truck from scratcheshappen.com
Seems to be very good quality.
$31.10 for primer, paint, clearcoat in bottles and a few brushes of the very small kind.

I find the OEM touchup paints don't last very long and come with a terrible "pen" or brush that always makes it go on like crap.

I use it almost every single weekend.
The paint they put on the front bumpers on these Ram trucks is dogcrap, i'm filling quarter inch chips 2-3 at a time.
I only fill my tank every 2-3 weeks to put in perspective how little I drive. Only on paved roads also.

I'm too lazy to use the primer and just used paint and no clear as it blends right in. Figure no point in using the clear if the paint doesn't bubble up since it's going to get chipped again anyways.

Cajun_

Reaction score
factory touch up paint to build it up over a few days. then polish the whole area to blend. Wax or coating to protect the paint. Should be good to go after that.

Users who are viewing this thread