5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint bubbling on new truck

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
I noticed some small bubbles in the paint in my tailgate, can feel them when running my finger over it. Truck is four months old and these just appeared recently. No damage that would have caused this.

Anyone else have this? How much of a hassle will I get from the dealer/Stellantis for fixing this?
ce93bc1a95461a3c23194e9a04be10c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No way to know if they'll cover it until you take it in and let them look at it, take pics, and submit the claim. I'm not overly optimistic it will be covered though. I'd also take it to a few body shops for estimates on fixing that. Now I'm wondering if the skin on the MFT is aluminum like the standard tailgate, or if it's steel.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No way to know if they'll cover it until you take it in and let them look at it, take pics, and submit the claim. I'm not overly optimistic it will be covered though. I'd also take it to a few body shops for estimates on fixing that. Now I'm wondering if the skin on the MFT is aluminum like the standard tailgate, or if it's steel.
Got a magnet? ;)

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
It's aluminum. My 2020 that I just traded got some tailgate damage when I loaned out my truck for a few days and they had to repair/repaint the bigger tailgate piece and replace the bumper. Hood and tailgate are aluminum at this time for RAM.

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
It's aluminum. My 2020 that I just traded got some tailgate damage when I loaned out my truck for a few days and they had to repair/repaint the bigger tailgate piece and replace the bumper. Hood and tailgate are aluminum at this time for RAM.

Is it aluminum corrosion or just some solvent or something that wasn’t fully cleaned before painting? There was no damage to the area to trigger this.

Honestly a bit disappointed with the build quality on this truck. Have had a bunch of problems. BTW all the frames have a spot rust on them; open the hood and look down through the passenger side. Was hoping to keep for a long time but am now inclined to ditch it when the warranty is up.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Is it aluminum corrosion or just some solvent or something that wasn’t fully cleaned before painting? There was no damage to the area to trigger this.

Honestly a bit disappointed with the build quality on this truck. Have had a bunch of problems. BTW all the frames have a spot rust on them; open the hood and look down through the passenger side. Was hoping to keep for a long time but am now inclined to ditch it when the warranty is up.

I know these trucks aren't "perfect" but in my strong opinion they have Ford and GM beat by miles. For the historical average transaction pricing the bang/buck of RAM with the incredible interiors, etc. is tough to beat. I've put the Mopar Extended Care on them just in case I keep them longer but so far I've traded them w/ around 32-38K miles because I pack the miles on so fast. Bottom line I guess is you'll find flaws with just about any brand. I'm at the age where I want to buy American product/support American workers within reason wherever possible so that weeds out Toyota and Nissan. (Not impressed with their full size trucks anyway.)

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
I know these trucks aren't "perfect" but in my strong opinion they have Ford and GM beat by miles. For the historical average transaction pricing the bang/buck of RAM with the incredible interiors, etc. is tough to beat. I've put the Mopar Extended Care on them just in case I keep them longer but so far I've traded them w/ around 32-38K miles because I pack the miles on so fast. Bottom line I guess is you'll find flaws with just about any brand. I'm at the age where I want to buy American product/support American workers within reason wherever possible so that weeds out Toyota and Nissan. (Not impressed with their full size trucks anyway.)

I bought this truck in part because of the American angle and also because our Durango has been trouble free. Would have gone with Tundra (which is designed and built in the US) but they’ve had their own quality problems and the design is so dated.

I get really nervous about running cost once the warranty is up. Have had two warranty repairs already they would have each been $1,500 out of pocket. Have two other items I haven’t taken it in for yet.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I bought this truck in part because of the American angle and also because our Durango has been trouble free. Would have gone with Tundra (which is designed and built in the US) but they’ve had their own quality problems and the design is so dated.

I get really nervous about running cost once the warranty is up. Have had two warranty repairs already they would have each been $1,500 out of pocket. Have two other items I haven’t taken it in for yet.

I would look into Mopar coverage. If you internet shop I believe the price is reasonable for the coverage received. If not used you get a pro-rated rebate of portion unutilized.

Users who are viewing this thread