5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Blemishes or Surface Rust ?

Captain

Reaction score
Hi,
There was what looked like Surface Rust on the new 2019 Truck Bed Paint.
The Service Manager says it is caused by the trains that haul them all over the U.S. He claims that when they get the trucks delivered, the workers take those "Clay Bars" and detail the paint of every new vehicle that just arrived.
Anyone else ever hear of this ??

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Usually referred to as "rail dust". Had a Denali that came with garbage rotors from the factory and would leave rust spots down the side of it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep. Rail dust.
This is easily removed with with chemical (IronX-type product) or mechanical (clay bar) means, or both.

There are tons of videos on YT that how how to do this.

Cheers,

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of surface rust, I did find what I think was a high spot on the paint that the bedliner folks probably knocked off. I'm just going to hit it with some Extend and call it done unless anyone has a better idea?
20181019_082800.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Speaking of surface rust, I did find what I think was a high spot on the paint that the bedliner folks probably knocked off. I'm just going to hit it with some Extend and call it done unless anyone has a better idea?
View attachment 6612
Nock that off with a little sandpaper and then dab it with white paint and call it a day (if it was me).

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If you don't remove ALL the rust and just paint over it the rust will reappear very quickly. Best advise is to sand that small area and repaint like neurobit said.

Users who are viewing this thread