5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pain in the butt safety stuff

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no doubt those "annoying" safety features prevent accidents and save lives. For 20 years I commuted 100 miles round trip through St Louis rush hour traffic to and from work. During that time, I was rear ended 3 times when rush hour traffic came to a sudden halt but the vehicle behind me did not. Two of my vehicles were totaled as a result. I sure wish those driving behind me had those "annoying" safety features.

Before bitching about annoying safety features think about having your kids in the backseat and having to stop on the highway because the car ahead of you is waiting for a clearance to make a left turn only to see a pickup rapidly closing in your rearview mirror knowing they are not paying attention.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is no doubt those "annoying" safety features prevent accidents and save lives. For 20 years I commuted 100 miles round trip through St Louis rush hour traffic to and from work. During that time, I was rear ended 3 times when rush hour traffic came to a sudden halt but the vehicle behind me did not. Two of my vehicles were totaled as a result. I sure wish those driving behind me had those "annoying" safety features.

Before bitching about annoying safety features think about having your kids in the backseat and having to stop on the highway because the car ahead of you is waiting for a clearance to make a left turn only to see a pickup rapidly closing in your rearview mirror knowing they are not paying attention.
Yep, these perfect drivers on here aren't the demographic that these safety features are designed for. Even perfect drivers get distracted for a split second. I mean everyone else, not the ones on here.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They saved my *** more than once when i wasn't paying attention. Worth every dollar they cost.
At the risk of sounding harsh, don't you think maybe you should always be paying attention while driving instead of relying on technology to keep you safe?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding harsh, don't you think maybe you should always be paying attention while driving instead of relying on technology to keep you safe?

It's not harsh; it's just not a realistic view. Anyone who claims they have never been temporarily distracted while driving is either a liar or doesn't really drive.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Everyone has their moments. Even you. Even the best drivers. I'm in my mid 60's and never had a accident that was my fault. ( knock on wood ) Thank goodness i had/have that backup.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not harsh; it's just not a realistic view. Anyone who claims they have never been temporarily distracted while driving is either a liar or doesn't really drive.
It needs to be a realistic view. Of course, anyone who claims they have never been distracted when driving is not being honest. But people also need to realize how big of an issue that is, and take steps to minimize that. With the biggest distraction being cell phones. Distracted driving is as dangerous as driving impaired. To dismiss it as normal is irresponsible. People tend to become reliant on technology. With the nanny features car makers are coming up with, I can see that problem only becoming worse.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
It needs to be a realistic view. Of course, anyone who claims they have never been distracted when driving is not being honest. But people also need to realize how big of an issue that is, and take steps to minimize that. With the biggest distraction being cell phones. Distracted driving is as dangerous as driving impaired. To dismiss it as normal is irresponsible. People tend to become reliant on technology. With the nanny features car makers are coming up with, I can see that problem only becoming worse.
Do you use your cell phone while you're driving?

Dewey

Reaction score
Only thing I ever hit in 40 years of driving was a bunch of deer. Please give me a safety nanny for that and I’ll never complain about them again.😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, all these mandatory safety nannies, and the optional ones like park assist, hands free driving, brake assist,......just allow for people to be less proficient drivers. A lot of the skills that used to be required to drive are now handled by the car itself. Allowing for them to get more distracted from the actual driving as they learn to rely on the vehicle to save their ***.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only thing I ever hit in 40 years of driving was a bunch of deer. Please give me a safety nanny for that and I’ll never complain about them again.😆
They have that, forward collision alert and braking. Granted it might not work fast enough for a deer jumping out of a ditch, but will react far faster than any driver when it does happen.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No one is dismissing it as normal, but occasional inattention is human. There is no evidence people are becoming less attentive because of dependence of safety features. Do you honestly believe there is a bunch of people out there who just threw caution to the wind because they wear seatbelts and have air bags?

Also, most safety features are not due to the car manufactures. They are being mandated by the government. Your truck has electronic stability control because the government requires it. The government has also mandated all vehicles have automatic braking systems by 2029.

Dewey

Reaction score
They have that, forward collision alert and braking. Granted it might not work fast enough for a deer jumping out of a ditch, but will react far faster than any driver when it does happen.
Almost every single deer I hit basically ran into the side or corner of the front end. Happened in a split second as they ran across. Even paying full attention there’s literally only a fraction of a second to react. Another split second with a nanny wouldn’t have made any difference. Unless they stand in the middle of the road as you approach forward collision is pretty much worthless.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No one is dismissing it as normal, but occasional inattention is human. There is no evidence people are becoming less attentive because of dependence of safety features. Do you honestly believe there is a bunch of people out there who just threw caution to the wind because they wear seatbelts and have air bags?

Also, most safety features are not due to the car manufactures. They are being mandated by the government. Your truck has electronic stability control because the government requires it. The government has also mandated all vehicles have automatic braking systems by 2029.
You always have the perfect straw man argument for anyone you disagree with. Makes it impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Yep. Rather than using technology to reduce task saturation and focus more attention on situational awareness, your average Joe will be using it to multitask. As good as the autopilots are, they will be texting more often, eating, watching movies, and nodding off.

Distracted driving is worse than driving impaired. The NHTSA says distracted driving is 6 times worse than impaired driving. Every day, you see dozens of drivers texting. I can't remember the last time I saw someone who I thought was driving under the influence. It's an epidemic and until laws are passed that make texting while driving penalties as harsh as a DUI, it will continue to get worse.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Yep. Rather than using technology to reduce task saturation and focus more attention on situational awareness, your average Joe will be using it to multitask. As good as the autopilots are, they will be texting more often, eating, watching movies, and nodding off.

Distracted driving is worse than driving impaired. The NHTSA says distracted driving is 6 times worse than impaired driving. Every day, you see dozens of drivers texting. I can't remember the last time I saw someone who I thought was driving under the influence. It's an epidemic and until laws are passed that make texting while driving penalties as harsh as a DUI, it will continue to get worse.
So true. I rode in a charter bus a couple weeks ago. We sat high enough that I could look down into semi trucks. 5 PM bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Long Beach Freeway and a guy pulling a container is texting! Probably 10% of the people driving past us were texting.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You always have the perfect straw man argument for anyone you disagree with. Makes it impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Nonsense. I addressed exactly what you said. There was no strawman and I believe you don't understand what the word even means. I understand it's difficult for you to support your goofy position.

Users who are viewing this thread