5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pain in the butt safety stuff

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Took the 23 Ltd 4x out behind my work down a dirt road and in an overgrown grass field to run it in 4Hi and exercise the differential for the 1st time ever.

Turned into the field with 2-3' single blades of field grass, some a bit higher, not overly thick by any means.

Going maybe 5 mph and all of a sudden an automatic panic stop and warning message BRAKE in red. WTF? So I try going forward again (2 mph) and same thing happens.

I'm wondering if I was about to hit something hidden so I spin the knob into R and can't back up more than 5' without the same thing, a red warning and the shudder of the brakes full on. 😮🤔

Finally remembered my automatic safety nanny settings so I disable all of those auto braking systems just to get out of a grassy field. 🙄🙄

After turning the auto pedestrian braking off, I was able to get around with only the proximity sonar beeping happening.

See "The field of death" picture below.

Damn noob, I can't believe it.

Miss my 1978 4x with manual hubs and a 4 speed...

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 36

vincentw56

Reaction score
Took the 23 Ltd 4x out behind my work down a dirt road and in an overgrown grass field to run it in 4Hi and exercise the differential for the 1st time ever.

Turned into the field with 2-3' single blades of field grass, some a bit higher, not overly thick by any means.

Going maybe 5 mph and all of a sudden an automatic panic stop and warning message BRAKE in red. WTF? So I try going forward again (2 mph) and same thing happens.

I'm wondering if I was about to hit something hidden so I spin the knob into R and can't back up more than 5' without the same thing, a red warning and the shudder of the brakes full on.

Finally remembered my automatic safety nanny settings so I disable all of those auto braking systems just to get out of a grassy field.

After turning the auto pedestrian braking off, I was able to get around with only the proximity sonar beeping happening.

Too funny. I had mine kick on when backing up. Quickly turned it off forever

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to shut mine off after it randomly started locking up in the middle of the Commodore Barry Bridge that crosses the Delaware River.. absolutely zero obstructions infront of me, BRAKES!!! Almost got into a serious accident.. ofcourse the stealership cannot duplicate the issue. ...I still randomly get the warning and it kills my cruise control..

Also couldn't back out of my driveway if there was a single leaf in the way...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Our sales rep recommended turning those off when we were sitting in the truck going through the features of the truck we just bought. They've been off ever since.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just love the loud crash sound it makes when it activates in reverse.

I have 6" of clearance between my truck and the edge of the garage and my other car. If I go slow enough it won't set it off, otherwise....

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My driveway is sloped, and I quickly tired of the brakes slamming on when I backed out. I shut that thing off years ago and never miss it.

As long as you're in the mood to lose the nonsense features, go buy yourself one of these seatbelt extenders that is nothing more than a buckle and a tab. The seatbelt will work like normal, but you will never ever have to deal with the auto park should you open the door to check clearance while moving.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm wondering if I was about to hit something hidden so I spin the knob into R and can't back up more than 5' without the same thing, a red warning and the shudder of the brakes full on. 😮🤔

Finally remembered my automatic safety nanny settings so I disable all of those auto braking systems just to get out of a grassy field. 🙄🙄

Yeah, the auto braking sucks, but really, should have just turned the park sensors off when off-road.

Dewey

Reaction score
First time I backed up my boat and forgot to turn off the rear sensors/auto brake I thought I hit something. I obviously turn everything off now when towing and also front sensors as well when off road in taller brush and such.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only takes that first time, my experience I was backing out where I was parked at a construction site.. 50 ft away 3 feet off the ground on stands probably 18” in diameter has been in that location since the start of the job. Boom instant autobrake engages and I’m no where close to hitting said piping. Once I recovered from temporary whiplash off to the settings I go to turn that crap off along with the front and rear sensors since those are equally as annoying as well. Idk how I managed to drive and not wreck any other vehicle Ive had in the past without all that fancy safety stuff just using my eyes/mirrors.

Adjutant

Reaction score
I had that happen to me trying to back out of a driveway that had a very slight slope. Disabled both forward & reverse immediately.
Thats what happened to me. The neighbors yard slopes up pretty steep. All of the sudden I get the shuttering brakes, crunching sound, and brake pedal shaking. I thought I had a major engine failure. It truly scared me.

I havent turned it off, and have had it surprise me a couple of times. Nothing like that first time though

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 23 and the only time I turn off the proximity sensors is when towing (rear sensor) or if doing real off-roading. I don't have any trouble with backing out of the driveway (my 2019 always braked and had to be turned off) or 2 tracks or gravel roads or in fields or trails etc. Seems like ot varies from truck to truck. I've had a 14, 19,21 and now the 23 and honestly the 23 has been the best all around. Maybe the dealer can flash the software as I've heard others say that fixed aggressive sensors.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Backing up to my cargo trailer in storage, there is a bit of a ditch, at first I thought I bottomed out on the frame/hitch weldment, so I backed up on a slight angle over the rise and hooked up and left. Did it again backing up to a slope in a parking spot and then wham, I got out to check bumper and nothing touching the slope, then I saw the message, turned it off and never looked back, but it annoys me to see the caution its off message.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’m middle of the road on this one. I trust my eyes and mirrors first.
But I’ve backed into spots with overgrown grass, and the brakes slammed on.
I’ve come up on people making a right turn in front of me, most likely got too close…and got the red panic warning of death.

Overall it doesn’t bother me. but when I’m off the streets, towing, in a car wash… I turn ’em off.
Roads, driveways, land is pretty flat around here. I can see others taking issue with it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Somehow I have survived driving for 51 years with just mirrors… proof that miracles happen I suppose.
I do wish the system off warning light wasn't there on the dash as others have said. Oh well.

GMetal

Reaction score
I am annoyed by all the safety features as well. I would say it saved my truck. I was driving and a deer ran across the road and was behind the side mirror blind spot until I saw it pop out and run in front of me. I was going about 40mph. I hit the brakes and my truck braked even harder with the pedestrian braking system activated and probably saved the deer and my trucks grille. My dash cam caught the full event better since it was higher up on the windshield.

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2

Oldphart

Reaction score
Somehow I have survived driving for 51 years with just mirrors… proof that miracles happen I suppose.
I do wish the system off warning light wasn't there on the dash as others have said. Oh well.

I hear that. I've been driving since 1968. Many times without seat belts. I even rode in the back of a truck more than once...shame on me.

Users who are viewing this thread