5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PAC AP4-CH41 Problems In A '22 1500

qdude79

Reaction score
6 speaker basic system. EcoDiesel, so no ANC under the seat. 8.4 stereo. Installed this module a few months back with the new(ish) PAC AP4-CH42 harness for the '22s. Connected to an Audiocontrol ACM-4.300 and out to some Kicker 6.9s in the doors, 3.5s in the dash with resistors (regretting not spending the extra for a crossover set up, but that's for another time). Using factory wiring harness with adapters at the speakers. All components Crutchfield purchased.

I'm on my second PAC AP4-CH42 module and still having the same problems: 1) fader control works side to side, but I get nothing out of it if I put everything to the front. Fine if I leave it in the center (all speakers) or all the way back (back speakers only). 2) PAC advertises that you will lose speed sensing volume control when installed, I actually GAINED it. I don't care for that function, never have, and I turned off the function at the head unit and still have it after installing the module (it successfully turned it off prior to any modifications). 3) Connections at the amp don't match those at the module. ie: red on the module doesn't necessarily match to red on the amp if I want the speakers to be represented correctly at the fader controls.

To be clear, I have set the HU to "amp mode" and have been in touch with Crutchfield who referred me to PAC directly. Talked to them a couple of times on Saturdays when I've had time to mess with this. They're stumped and I'm now just chasing problems by replacing things. Told me to replace the CH42 harness to see if that works. I could see that maybe affecting fader if it's faulty, and will try that next, but not seeing it how it would affect the speed sensing volume. Lord knows I've been wrong before...

I'm no audio installer, and I'm old. Maybe someone that's more up to speed with the newer tech can give me some places to check? TIA

AngryAce

Reaction score
This post is a few months old and I am hoping you got this resolved by now. I am going to assume you let the radio program properly, set the dip switches on the AMPPro correctly and connected 2 pairs of RCAs to the AMP properly then I would use a tone generator to make sure you have the outputs from the amp wired to the correct speakers. If no ANC, where are you tapping into the factory wiring at?

Jcomire

Reaction score
6 speaker basic system. EcoDiesel, so no ANC under the seat. 8.4 stereo. Installed this module a few months back with the new(ish) PAC AP4-CH42 harness for the '22s. Connected to an Audiocontrol ACM-4.300 and out to some Kicker 6.9s in the doors, 3.5s in the dash with resistors (regretting not spending the extra for a crossover set up, but that's for another time). Using factory wiring harness with adapters at the speakers. All components Crutchfield purchased.

I'm on my second PAC AP4-CH42 module and still having the same problems: 1) fader control works side to side, but I get nothing out of it if I put everything to the front. Fine if I leave it in the center (all speakers) or all the way back (back speakers only). 2) PAC advertises that you will lose speed sensing volume control when installed, I actually GAINED it. I don't care for that function, never have, and I turned off the function at the head unit and still have it after installing the module (it successfully turned it off prior to any modifications). 3) Connections at the amp don't match those at the module. ie: red on the module doesn't necessarily match to red on the amp if I want the speakers to be represented correctly at the fader controls.

To be clear, I have set the HU to "amp mode" and have been in touch with Crutchfield who referred me to PAC directly. Talked to them a couple of times on Saturdays when I've had time to mess with this. They're stumped and I'm now just chasing problems by replacing things. Told me to replace the CH42 harness to see if that works. I could see that maybe affecting fader if it's faulty, and will try that next, but not seeing it how it would affect the speed sensing volume. Lord knows I've been wrong before...

I'm no audio installer, and I'm old. Maybe someone that's more up to speed with the newer tech can give me some places to check? TIA
Curious if you were able to troubleshoot the radio problem you mention. I experiencing the same exact issues and on my 2nd AP4 also. I’ve rewired things several times and it seems the like problems change all the time. Curious if you found the solution.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) fader control works side to side, but I get nothing out of it if I put everything to the front. Fine if I leave it in the center (all speakers) or all the way back (back speakers only).

A paragraph from the AP4-CH41 install manual:

"If you are installing the AmpPRO in a vehicle that is not equipped with a factory amplifier, you must add an amplifier to the vehicle's speakers, as the factory radio will no longer have a 4 channel variable output after it has been re-configured by the AmpPro. For example, you can not add only a subwoofer to a non-amplified vehicle, as the radio
will no longer power the cabin speakers properly."

I think what they are telling you in an obtuse way, is that the outputs you get from their harness and adapter is only the rear channels from the radio, which you can then couple to your own system of amps, faders, crossovers, etc.

So if I'm understanding correctly what you wrote, this is normal.

3) Connections at the amp don't match those at the module. ie: red on the module doesn't necessarily match to red on the amp if I want the speakers to be represented correctly at the fader controls.

If you're talking about the coaxial RCA type connectors, I would not be concerned about colors, but go by the left/right/front/rear designations.

I could see that maybe affecting fader if it's faulty, and will try that next, but not seeing it how it would affect the speed sensing volume.

I don't either. Maybe it just turned on by default when you reset the radio. I happen to like that feature, but if you don't like it can't you just set it to zero?

Users who are viewing this thread