5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P1df3 code

SerGk

Reaction score
I’ve got the same issue with my 1500 of 2015 so I have to leave my truck running to go do whatever otherwise it won’t start after 10-15 min being off so I checked the code p1df3 - which means that the vehicles transmission control module has detected a fault so now I’m confused is the tranny bad or some kind of fuse got bad?
I’m starting to freak out

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that code doesn't mean you need a new transmission. It COULD mean you need a new ECM for the transmission, or it might even just mean it took longer than normal to initialize the transmission control. I would not freak out by any means at this point. Try having the code cleared and see if it comes back. Might just be a "hiccup".

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 5.7 HEMI non-etorque, ~40,000 miles

My truck would not start this morning. Threw all kinds of errors and warnings at me (power steering, electronic stability, check engine light)! Was able to start the truck after multiple attempts and tried to drive it around the block, but it would not shift out of 1st gear. Parked the truck back at the house and let it sit, hoping any errors would reset. Eventually after trying to start it again, we jumped the truck and I drove to local Autozone in 1st gear :(

The battery showed only 10.0V when the vehicle was off. Error Code check showed P1DF3.

Hoping the issue was battery related, I purchased a new Duralast Gold Battery and installed. With the trip home from Autozone, <2 miles, the truck is shifting fine with no error messages. Only the CEL remains, and I am hopeful this will go away soon.

The new battery shows 12-13V when the vehicle was off.

I am hopeful there was some computer miscommunication which caused the issue with the transmission shifting due to low battery power levels. I will update if this fix DOES NOT work long term, or if the error message pops up again. Goodluck

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 5.7 HEMI non-etorque, ~40,000 miles

My truck would not start this morning. Threw all kinds of errors and warnings at me (power steering, electronic stability, check engine light)! Was able to start the truck after multiple attempts and tried to drive it around the block, but it would not shift out of 1st gear. Parked the truck back at the house and let it sit, hoping any errors would reset. Eventually after trying to start it again, we jumped the truck and I drove to local Autozone in 1st gear :(

The battery showed only 10.0V when the vehicle was off. Error Code check showed P1DF3.

Hoping the issue was battery related, I purchased a new Duralast Gold Battery and installed. With the trip home from Autozone, <2 miles, the truck is shifting fine with no error messages. Only the CEL remains, and I am hopeful this will go away soon.

The new battery shows 12-13V when the vehicle was off.

I am hopeful there was some computer miscommunication which caused the issue with the transmission shifting due to low battery power levels. I will update if this fix DOES NOT work long term, or if the error message pops up again. Goodluck
Had similar issues, new battery solved the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread